Forums / Media / Music

660 total conversations in 13 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Music Mega General: Discussion, news, comments and other stuff

Last posted Aug 01, 2014 at 11:58AM EDT. Added Dec 22, 2013 at 12:16PM EST
177 posts from 67 users

I have a new list video out. It’s based on Rolling Stone magazine’s 100 best songs of the 00’s.

Jan 07, 2014 at 05:26PM EST

Todd in the Shadow’s worst songs of 2013 just came out. The only song that I disagree with is #8, and it was my 2nd favorite song of the year.

Jan 13, 2014 at 02:37PM EST

@Adam

Reminds me of the top-10-worst posted in the last music thread. Seems he agreed with some of the material in that one as well

Since I never hear anything I like on radio I sometimes wonder if I have terrible taste. Then I listen to these critics and I figure I’m probably okay. Vindicated, even. Sure, Todd does make a comment on EDM in that video, comparing it to soullessness and ‘meaningfullness antimatter’. But at least I don’t have to put up with depressed whiners, obnoxious ex-boyfriend bitchers, horny women wooers, disgusting vile rappers that only talk about how great their dicks are, bro’s trying too hard to be awesome, boring white guys with acoustic guitars, misogynists, pettiness, pretentiousness, rudeness, tough-guy attitudes, unwarranted self righteousness, gimmicks, people that just repeat the song title over and over, sellouts that ruin every genre they touch and Justin fucking Bieber. Maybe I’m better off with songs that carry no message

Besides, Todd was comparing House music and if you want to hear soulfulness/meaningfulness in EDM then House is completely the wrong genre to listen to (especially anything from Pitbull/LMFAO/will.i.am/etc).

I agree with all 10 of those choices on his list. Talk about soullessness; pretty much all those songs sounded like nothing to me except “buy my album because you know me and I am popular! Hey look! Gimmicks!”. Although my friends will kill me to hear me say that because they are huuuuuge fans of Number 1

The only thing I disagree with is the disrespect on Netsky at 18:00. I actually like Netsky. He made some quality stuff

Jan 14, 2014 at 04:19AM EST

I am a huge Daft Punk fan just everything about them does it for me. The surprising range is superb and some of my favourites include…

Just the relaxing atmosphere created is amazing.

I love this song because it always feels like its escalating and getting better every time.

Last edited Feb 22, 2014 at 09:24PM EST
Jan 17, 2014 at 06:57PM EST

About the Todd’s list:
Yeah… 2013 was a terrible year for the charts: music devoid of something interesting, lifeless crap over the pop charts, sometimes I feel that some of the songs he choose sound like this:

At least, back in the 80’s there was some terrible songs, but at least you can make some commentary about it.

I hope this year had something better to offer.

Last edited Jan 19, 2014 at 08:55PM EST
Jan 19, 2014 at 08:54PM EST

I’m quite fond of P!ATD and i really like their new Album. Here is my favorite song from it.

Jan 19, 2014 at 09:08PM EST

Let try something different in this thread: album covers.

I always like the artwork on the album covers. Specially if is the cover of one of these HUGE vinyl records, may the CD’s are better than the vinyl in many aspects, but in my opinion, the CD’s doesn’t have the feel than the LP and EP have.

So…post the cover of your favorite albums, guilty pleasures, weird album covers, compilation albums, special editions, soundtrack movies, etc.

Prisms are cool…

Despite I’m not a huge fan of Yes, I really like their artwork in some albums.

For some reason, when I see this album cover, I think on Adventure Time.

And now, let get some edgy:

For some reason, I want to see this in IRL.

Holy shit!

A 90’s classic.

Another 90’s classic.

The ride never ends…

Despite of the cover, I really like this album. Hell I consider this as the best PJ album ever made.

Classic, simple and effective.

My dad have this LP.

This one too.

True story, my little sister have this album.

Gran circo es esta ciudad…

That pig…

Hue.

I hope you enjoyed my selection of album cover, if not… well I wanna share with all of you, this documentary:

Last edited Jan 19, 2014 at 10:35PM EST
Jan 19, 2014 at 10:11PM EST

I think it’s pretty well-established that Sonic games have awesome music for the most part. Sonic ’06 is no exception. Despite the game being downright horrible, it has a great soundtrack.

This song, Dreams of an Absolution, is one of my favorite songs of all time:

This is a remix version with Jun Senoue, guitarist of Crush 40. It my favorite version of the song, bar none. It has the unfortunate distinction of being tied to this game, and Silver… Other than that, I can’t express how much I love it. Everything about it just clicks for me. The lyrics, the instrumentals, or the jaw-dropping finale. I just can’t get enough of it!

Last edited Jan 19, 2014 at 10:40PM EST
Jan 19, 2014 at 10:26PM EST

I’m not sure if this thread is still going put I’ll post the albums that got me into most of the bands I listen to now (It would be longer but that would take me the whole day)

Jan 22, 2014 at 01:45AM EST

I don’t know why but I’ve been super into Dubstep lately. It’s been a guilty pleasure for a little while but I’m sure it’s gonna become a full-blown addiction soon enough.

Jan 22, 2014 at 02:02AM EST

@Chokesmurf

Dubstep? A guilty pleasure?

Not if you are listening to the right dubstep it isn’t

If it’s Dubstep fresh from little ‘ol New Zealand then it’s something to be proud of.

Jan 22, 2014 at 05:47AM EST

I love this guy named I Am Robot And Proud. I often use his songs on my “About” page.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:00PM EST

Here are some more great classical pieces:
Charles-Valentin Alkan – Étude op 35 #9 in C# minor
- Esquisses
Georges Bizet – Nocturne in D major
Gabriel Fauré – Nocturnes
Anthony Joseph Lanman – The Five Rings of Miyamoto Musashi
- Viridian Soliloquy
- Meditation, Dance, and Sacrifice
György Ligeti – Artikulation
Silas Rosenskjold – Stille Stunder IV
George Crumb – Vox Balaenae
- Black Angels
Brian Heim – RageNet
Manolis Kalomiris – Prelude #1

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:31AM EST

Raymond Watts’ very nice creation.

Last edited Jan 25, 2014 at 06:04AM EST
Jan 25, 2014 at 06:03AM EST

IT’S STUCK IN MY HEAD AGAIN.

On second thought, that may not be a bad thing!

Last edited Jan 25, 2014 at 06:32PM EST
Jan 25, 2014 at 06:32PM EST

TheMiketroid wrote:

IT’S STUCK IN MY HEAD AGAIN.

On second thought, that may not be a bad thing!

This cover may can help you:

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:19AM EST

I love rap music
West coast, east coast, Hardcore, and gangsta mainly
Eminem
Snoop dogg
dr dre
rakim
nas
jay-z
kendrick lamar
NWA
schoolboy q

g-eazy is good newcomer

Jan 26, 2014 at 03:54AM EST

Anyone who saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers at last night’s Halftime Show performing “Give it Away” but hasn’t heard any of their best stuff should listen to these songs by them:

link

link

link

Last edited Feb 22, 2014 at 09:46PM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 06:37PM EST

For the love birds:

For those who found the best thing in their lives:
link

For those who are cheesy over the top:
link

For those who are in the street of love:
link

For those who don’t know what love is:
link

For those who in their hearts feels bad:
link

For those who heart is filled with black:
link

For those who probably would feel bitter:
link

For those who are trying to find something real in this plastic fake world:
link

And for those who reject the perfection:
link

In either way, I wish to all of you an anticipated February 14th.

Last edited Feb 22, 2014 at 09:47PM EST
Feb 08, 2014 at 07:39PM EST

Guys I’ve gotten really into Celtic Rock over the last couple of days and I think Flogging Molly may be a new favorite band of mine

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:50PM EST

@Teh Brawler
Flogging Molly is awesome. You probably already know these then, but if you don’t, the Dropkick Murphys are in the same style of music.

Recently, I’ve been listening a lot to progressive rock and metal. This probably began a few weeks ago, with finally sitting down to listen stuff like Pink Floyd and Tool. They are two of my favourite bands at the moment. I’m seeing Dream Theater this Monday, for which I’m getting really excited.

Last edited Feb 22, 2014 at 10:20PM EST
Feb 13, 2014 at 04:23PM EST

Hey I’m starting to wonder. Does anyone actually take a look at all the video’s posted here?

Do you guys check out what other people are into, or do you just post what you are listening to?

I look at most of these video’s mainly because I like to know what different tastes we have around here.

Anyway since were just posting whatever, I noticed it’s time for my doctors prescribed dose of DnB in this thread. Please take this B vitamin supplement

Last edited Feb 21, 2014 at 04:02AM EST
Feb 21, 2014 at 04:01AM EST

Out of all of the pieces that I listed, these videos are of some of the most interesting pieces. They’re all classical, and most of them are piano.

Although I’m not that interested in atonal music, this one is beautiful. I really admire its use of exotic scales and its polyrhythms are so complex, that it’s almost impossible to play accurately. My favorite part is from 2:48 to 3:20.
This piece, although repetitive, is very creative. It’s nice that the composer is still writing music now. The best part is from 5:03 to the end. link
This is a great piece that combines jazz and impressionistic elements. link
This impressionistic piece is considered one of the hardest pieces for piano in standard repertoire. Scarbo is a part of a piece called Gaspard de la Nuit, which also includes the pieces Ondine and Le Gibet. It is based off of a poem by Aloysius Bertrand. link
This piece combines late romantic elements with expressionistic (not to be confused with impressionistic) elements. The most epic part is from 1:58 to the end. link
Last edited Feb 22, 2014 at 10:21PM EST
Feb 21, 2014 at 07:46PM EST

Is it possible to get rid some of embeds and start to use hyperlinks?.. I dunno about you guys, but page started to slow down my computer.
Also spoilering youtube embeds only shorts the page.. Doesn’t reduce the cpu usage.

I am not into metal or rock too much but this one is actually pretty neat.
Seem familiar? No?

@BSOD

That was some lunatic shit man.. B-complex eh? Even i prefer chiptunes, trans music seems to be pretty interesting. And kinda better than dubstep.

Last edited Feb 22, 2014 at 12:19PM EST
Feb 22, 2014 at 11:52AM EST

Usually I like the visual PMVs that people create for these, but this one was fine with no visuals. Kinda wanna buy it, but not for full price. lol. I’m picky with what I choose to pay for, but I refuse to pirate.

To be honest I just found this channel and so far I haven’t found a song of his I don’t like.
link
link

Edit: ↓↓↓ I like the occasional “oldies” and TBH I there isn’t that much music out there that I won’t enjoy, but however I’m not familiar with Huey Lewis & The News, yet I can dig that song. You won’t find it on my playlist however. I mostly keep to the electronic musics most of the time.

Last edited Feb 22, 2014 at 10:02PM EST
Feb 22, 2014 at 07:14PM EST

Do you like Huey Lewis & The News? Their early work was a little too ‘new-wave’ for my taste, but when Sports came out in ‘83, I think they really came into their own – both commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He’s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour. In ‘87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is ’Hip To Be Square’, a song so catchy most people probably don’t listen to the lyrics – but they should! Because it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it’s also a personal statement about the band itself

Feb 22, 2014 at 07:24PM EST

@Alex

Is it possible to get rid some of embeds and start to use hyperlinks?.. I dunno about you guys, but page started to slow down my computer.
Also spoilering youtube embeds only shorts the page.. Doesn’t reduce the cpu usage.

Could have sworn older versions of firefox wouldn’t load the YT video until it was visible…but either way it’s clear that neither Chrome or Firefox work that way anymore, they load the video as soon as it appears in the document model. That’s why I’ve given up asking people to ask to spoiler video’s. The only surefire way that works now is linking.

I’ve held back on asking people to use links under the off-chance that everyone has fast enough internet/stable browsers so it wouldn’t matter. But if people complain that this thread is too slow then I’ll start enforcing a limit.

I’m going to ask now that we only have one embed per post. We have 36 posts but around 50 embeds and things are slowing down. I’ll start trimming the fat and see if that helps

That was some lunatic shit man.. B-complex eh? Even i prefer chiptunes, trans music seems to be pretty interesting. And kinda better than dubstep.

Not all of B-Complex work is that psychedelic. He’s famous for his Liquid DnB as well…or maybe that sounds psychedelic for you too…alright how about his Trance…oh wait that’s also psychedelicfine, his stuff is kinda weird

But you know what? I love it. I absolutely love intense, insane, bizarre and alien music that breaks all mold and convention and captivates the imagination. I love music that experiments with samples and drum patterns to find new ways to send brains traveling at 10x the speed of light. There are many artists other than B-Complex who does this kind of stuff. There’s also S.P.Y and Seba for example. I collect them all. Why do drugs when the music is the drug?

And of course anything I listen to, must have testicle shattering bass. I swear I’m addicted to it like cocaine

Chiptunes is okay. Some of my old video game music from 1996 counts as it and that serves as great nostalgia. Trance is underrated. People only think about the classics like Darude and think it’s just a 90’s relic. But I can show you examples of fantastic modern trance that you don’t hear in clubs. As for dubstep, forget everything you heard from Skrillex. I know what the good stuff is for that too.

@Spider-byte

Didn’t know about them until now, but you’re right about how catch that is. That’s a pretty fun beat. I know you want people to listen to the lyrics, but they did such a good job on the sound that I want to tune into it

Last edited Feb 22, 2014 at 08:47PM EST
Feb 22, 2014 at 08:28PM EST

Let’s see,
Strawberry Swing
Lightbringer (Far Too Loud)
She’s An Alarm Clock
REMOVE POOTIS
Arc (Mind Vortex)
Rap God
Hurts Like Heaven
Fire Inside
Doom Dada
DJ Bjollers (K391, imcomplete)
Madness (Muse)
Burn It Down (either Linkin Park or AWOLNATION)
Dubstep Dishwasher…

Dubstep, indie and brony songs. Sorry that I can’t embed any. My PC broke.

P.S.
FUCK 1D & JB

Feb 22, 2014 at 09:51PM EST

Kebab Removal Unit wrote:

sounds kinda nice

I lost it. Dammit K.R.U! (no offence though, nice trick)

Feb 22, 2014 at 09:56PM EST

XTR09:

FUCK 1D & JB

I actually have no problem with 1D (I even think story of my life is a really good song!) but their following I do hate. That being said, I’m probably envious of them if anything. JB however can go jump off a cliff. (lol.) He was extremely talented and let the fame get to him and now he’s pretty much turned into 100% of the scum that I deplore in the pop/fame industry. I think he might have a heart somewhere, but he needs to clean up his f***ing act if he wants any shot at redemption in my books. This:

is an okay start. He could’ve done more, but even a tweet makes a difference. That’s still like 1 out of 5000 acts that he needs to do before I put him anywhere near my good person zone. He needs to go take some lessons from Bono imo.

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 12:19AM EST
Feb 23, 2014 at 12:18AM EST

I’m not seeing this kind of music anywhere on KYM, so here you go.

Yep.

Feb 23, 2014 at 04:22PM EST

I’ve been listening to a couple of the electronic tracks that have been posted here. I like most of them, though I gotta say that I’m not a big fan of the vocals in most of them, they feel a bit too ‘artificial’ to me. I probably need to get used to them, just like I had to get used to growls and screams in metal.

So I saw Dream Theater last Monday. From the two metal concerts I’ve attended (Amon Amarth and Carcass was the other one), this was probably my favourite. The guitar was a bit higher in the mix, LaBrie and the rest sounded great, and they got a lot of reaction from the audience. Regarding the audience, it was more “static” than during the AA/Carcass show.
They played everything flawless during the 3 hours, and I got goosebumps a couple of times, with songs like Breaking All Illusions and Along For The Ride
I would’ve liked if they played The Spirit Carries On, Pull Me Under, or anything from Systematic Chaos. But it still was an amazing show.
The crowd from that show

Terraineer wrote:

Silversun Pickups

I only know one song by them (There’s No Secrets This Year), but they sound pretty good. Need to listen to them a bit more, what I’m doing right now. Growing Old Is Getting Old is my favourite from what I’ve heard so far.

And I discovered a new genre I’m starting to like. Started listening Sunn O))) tonight, it was a bit ‘eh’ at first, but after a full album, I started to really like it. It has something calming to it, something that pull you into it, something trance-like, though I can’t really lay my finger on it.

Sunn O))) – Bathory Erszebet
Sunn O))) – Monoliths And Dimensions

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 05:39PM EST
Feb 23, 2014 at 05:26PM EST

I sure love my indie electronica (go Faded Paper Figures!) but I haven’t really gone deeper than that into the genre. I probably should, but I like my live-ish percussion and guitars.

On the subject of Silversun Pickups, Swoon is great, and “Growing Old is Getting Old” is one of their best. “Melatonin”, “Lazy Eye”, “Three Seed”, all that stuff too.

Feb 23, 2014 at 05:56PM EST

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

XTR09:

FUCK 1D & JB

I actually have no problem with 1D (I even think story of my life is a really good song!) but their following I do hate. That being said, I’m probably envious of them if anything. JB however can go jump off a cliff. (lol.) He was extremely talented and let the fame get to him and now he’s pretty much turned into 100% of the scum that I deplore in the pop/fame industry. I think he might have a heart somewhere, but he needs to clean up his f***ing act if he wants any shot at redemption in my books. This:

is an okay start. He could’ve done more, but even a tweet makes a difference. That’s still like 1 out of 5000 acts that he needs to do before I put him anywhere near my good person zone. He needs to go take some lessons from Bono imo.

Music is music, not ’bout swag. This is why I hate K-Pop and boy bands. Not because of their music, but their business backgrounds. No offence though, their music is actually pretty good.

Feb 23, 2014 at 06:32PM EST

@Mike

And I discovered a new genre I’m starting to like. Started listening Sunn O))) tonight, it was a bit ‘eh’ at first, but after a full album,

Sunn O))) – Bathory Erszebet
Sunn O))) – Monoliths And Dimensions

So this is drone metal?

That first one…now that has got to be the longest intro I have ever heard. Like seriously. 7 minutes long. Amazing

I love how many people are confused by it. You can tell in the comments who gave up waiting for something to happen. There’s also the idiots who heard all the deep bass background ambiance and somehow thought this was dubstep resulting in some hilariously stupid arguments. Ahh, Youtube.

But the intro makes it great background ambiance for a really apocalyptic setting. Like the aftermath of a war where everyone lost and nothing but blood ashes remain. No survivors. Then around the 7 minute mark the guitars kick in and that’s when the dead rise from the ground. Love the gut wrenching depth it goes to, and the dark atmosphere

Now if only it didn’t have that horrible sounding asshole in it screeching like zombie Rick Astley. I wish there was a non-vocal version. Without it, it would be amazing music to listen to while playing Fallout or any kind of apocalyptic game

Second one (the full album) you can hear the full effect much better. The dark, creepy, gritty mood it instills and that aura of devastation. Really something

It has something calming to it, something that pull you into it, something trance-like, though I can’t really lay my finger on it

Behold the drug-like power of heavy basslines

Feb 24, 2014 at 02:11AM EST

@BSOD
The phoenix one was great. If it sounds great, i like to listen unusual instruments in a genre. But i need to discover different artists.

Another trance that i have found when i randomly browsing videos. Pretty cool i guess.. I am incredibly glad that his musics has a creative commons license. I want to check this artist even more.

Link
Link
Link
Link
Dubmood is my favourite

Music is music, not ’bout swag. This is why I hate K-Pop and boy bands. Not because of their music, but their business backgrounds. No offence though, their music is actually pretty good.

I kinda disagree because reputation is also important.. Not for me or you maybe but for other people. Because they care. Actually lets be honest, we all care. Would you want listen a music from a killer and a pedophile for example? Or at least the people you hate so much even their music is so good?
Also it depends on how much a musician work on a music, how they care about their fans exc..
tl;dr Music is not about a swag. Music is a swag.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 06:08AM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 05:57AM EST

@BSOD: That paragraph was actually a quote from American Psycho (The song is still good though)

Anyway I love these songs. Both of which have Dave Grohl on drums.

On top of this there is a guy on youtube called commanderfordo and he does amazing Rammstein covers that I’ve been listening to.

Last edited Feb 27, 2014 at 05:30PM EST
Feb 27, 2014 at 05:23PM EST

@BSOD
It’s cool that you gave that drone metal a chance, instead of turning it off because nothing really spectacular happens. As you said, it indeed makes for great background music, whether it’s for a game, or just for a calm moment.

Now if only it didn’t have that horrible sounding asshole in it screeching like zombie Rick Astley. I wish there was a non-vocal version. Without it, it would be amazing music to listen to while playing Fallout or any kind of apocalyptic game

Yeah, I can definitely see where you’re coming from here. I had this feeling with Burzum’s Fallen
His instrumentation there is still similar to his older work, but the vocals just make it worse, they don’t fit as well as his screaming on older albums.
The vocals on Fallen and Bathory Erszebet are probably a bit comparable, but they feel more in place on the Sunn O))) track, where they add to the darkness in my opinion.

Another trance that i have found when i randomly browsing videos

That’s indeed a pretty cool song.

On top of this there is a guy on youtube called commanderfordo and he does amazing Rammstein covers that I’ve been listening to.

I don’t listen a lot to Rammstein, but they’re pretty sweet. That Waidmanns Heil cover is great!

On the topic of covers, a guy on Youtube does piano covers of metal songs, which are amazing. Stuff like Converge sounds beautiful on piano.
Converge – All We Love We Leave Behind
Converge – Jane Doe
Animals As Leaders – CAFO

The Jane Doe cover is probably one of my favourite covers that I’ve seen yet. The song itself is amazing IMO, and the piano version is fantastic.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:11AM EST

Yo! You must login or signup first!