Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,689 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Herculoon/Circules/Ballooncules

Last posted Jan 11, 2014 at 09:26PM EST. Added Jan 04, 2014 at 04:41PM EST
47 posts from 25 users

I'm sure most of you have seen this in the Cringeworthy Gallery

And you know what happened after that

What do you guys think? How long do you think this will last? Discuss!

I realize this is a bit heavy-handed for me of all users to say, considering I'm one of the primary people that created the "Kymtheon," but I don't really like any of the "new" injokes that have come after the first few. Back when we really didn't have injokes, the creation and spread of such felt much more natural. Looking in the gallery for these Hercules images, thankfully multiple people have contributed images already and it's not just one or two people, but the fact remains that I'm really sick of people going "OH GUYS IS THIS GOING TO BE NEXT GOAT/I NEED BLOOD/KILLED PEOPLE" just because one or two images are made of it.

Not only that, but post-Goat all the new injokes have spawned from the Cringeworthy gallery. I can understand the desire to parody these pictures, but that's all it is: short-lived parody. Just because we have a few images created by users that refers to something, it doesn't suddenly make it lulzorz funny injoke. Frankly, Time to Killed People barely qualifies as an injoke too. I feel that it's gotten out of hand to the point where this community is a bit too desperate to have original content and will rush at the drop of a hat to claim that something is a new injoke.

That's my shitty two cents, at least.

Balloon Hercules?
Pfft, Solid Snake did the balloon thing first.

On my own opinion on this, this looks like an OK exploitable, but I wouldn't expect it to be around longer than a few months.

Last edited Jan 04, 2014 at 07:23PM EST

If you read at the bottom of OP's post, you'll see he's merely bringing it up for discussion in how long this might be "a thing" like the past did with for example the Goat.

He's not forcing it or trying to spread it, he's just trying to discuss it. No need to jump on a train.

Now for my own opinion:

This thing is more funnier than for example "Time To Killed People", which was just utter shit. Then again, I have a soft spot for photoshop.

7/10, funny images, can do as an exploitable when used right. Not an in-joke nor a meme, might last a week at most.

Last edited Jan 04, 2014 at 07:25PM EST

Well, if anyone is interested in this thing (i.e. still poking fun at it via .gifs and whatnot), I made a transparent Herculoon/Circules/Ballooncules to take the work out of removing the background and whatnot

Last edited Jan 04, 2014 at 10:08PM EST

I'm starting to think some users are thinking that if they post it enough it will be "LE NEXT SERRPER RERBERT JERZERZ/CHERTER/GERT-TERN"
Cringeworthy is not injokeworthy.

Last edited Jan 04, 2014 at 11:31PM EST

blue wrote:

I'm starting to think some users are thinking that if they post it enough it will be "LE NEXT SERRPER RERBERT JERZERZ/CHERTER/GERT-TERN"
Cringeworthy is not injokeworthy.

Wasn't that the point of this whole injoke nonsense to begin with?

Edit: You know, including the goat thing because that too was part of this nonsense.

Last edited Jan 05, 2014 at 08:39PM EST

Either way, don't upload it to the Cringeworthy gallery or any other unrelated gallery to begin with (looking at you, Alternate Universe uploaders).

Decide on a tag or something and upload it under that to no entry at all! Or make an entry if it grows too big (but only if it grows too big) (will still be deadpooled on the spot), so then you have a set location to upload them. Or direct users to this thread, which is the best solution imo: Photoshop / Art Threads.

But please stop spamming completely unrelated entries with them.

Last edited Jan 05, 2014 at 08:43PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Either way, don't upload it to the Cringeworthy gallery or any other unrelated gallery to begin with (looking at you, Alternate Universe uploaders).

Decide on a tag or something and upload it under that to no entry at all! Or make an entry if it grows too big (but only if it grows too big) (will still be deadpooled on the spot), so then you have a set location to upload them. Or direct users to this thread, which is the best solution imo: Photoshop / Art Threads.

I cannot begin to describe my insatiable butthurt when KYM image galleries are used incorrectly (which I'm sure many of you are aware of by now from my constant complaining of such), and just because the source of this image was in Cringeworthy doesn't mean all the SATIRICAL PARODIES OF SUCH belong in Cringeworthy. We already have enough goddam satire in that gallery as it is. Back when I made Goat images, we all simply uploaded it and added the "immagoat" tag, sometimes adding it to the gallery of the image it was parodying. I don't even understand the logic in placing these images in Alternate Universe, like, the hell?

Image-to-gallery accuracy is more important than how many upvotes and pageviews you'll get. There's plenty of times I could've uploaded a pic of mine to Reaction Faces for some quick upvotes, but what's important is placing the image in the most accurate gallery.

RandomMan wrote:

I'd also say that posting it here on the thread is also a good place to put said Hercules images.

Last edited Jan 05, 2014 at 09:05PM EST

That Glaceon wrote:

I realize this is a bit heavy-handed for me of all users to say, considering I'm one of the primary people that created the "Kymtheon," but I don't really like any of the "new" injokes that have come after the first few. Back when we really didn't have injokes, the creation and spread of such felt much more natural. Looking in the gallery for these Hercules images, thankfully multiple people have contributed images already and it's not just one or two people, but the fact remains that I'm really sick of people going "OH GUYS IS THIS GOING TO BE NEXT GOAT/I NEED BLOOD/KILLED PEOPLE" just because one or two images are made of it.

Not only that, but post-Goat all the new injokes have spawned from the Cringeworthy gallery. I can understand the desire to parody these pictures, but that's all it is: short-lived parody. Just because we have a few images created by users that refers to something, it doesn't suddenly make it lulzorz funny injoke. Frankly, Time to Killed People barely qualifies as an injoke too. I feel that it's gotten out of hand to the point where this community is a bit too desperate to have original content and will rush at the drop of a hat to claim that something is a new injoke.

That's my shitty two cents, at least.

I feel kind of bad now for being on the "I Need Blood" train.

But anyway, perhaps we should call these things something different? Should we have classes?

KYMjoke: Many images and references within site; users know of it; long lasting
Injoke: Images and references within site; many users know of it; lasting
Intrend: Few images and references within site: some users know of it; lasted
Inbit: Very few images and references within site: few users know of it; shortly lasted

But then again, it feels weird to categorize injokes. It feels… unnatural.

blue wrote:

Enough injokes already. We have like, 5 of them.

Aren't the point of jokes is to be funny. Because, half the shit KYM considers "injokes" aren't relatively funny.

Lich wrote:

Aren't the point of jokes is to be funny. Because, half the shit KYM considers "injokes" aren't relatively funny.

True. If it's funny, then there shouldn't be a problem.

But then again, "funny" is a subjective thing and not all "injokes" are necessarily funny on their own. Jokes should be funny, but injokes are sort of different. I think the humor comes from knowing the story behind the injoke more than the content itself (because the image of the Cheeto itself isn't funny, but what happened to it was very much so). Also, it seems more people are complaining about how quickly new injokes have been formed in the cringeworthy gallery than whether or not Circules is funny. When injokes form too quickly, it seems to make the others less special for a bit.

Anyway, if enough people like Circules, contribute to it, and find it funny, then it will continue to live and possibly be accepted by others in the community if it continues for long enough. If not, it will simply fade away until we've forgotten all about it.

MedleyManiac wrote:

True. If it's funny, then there shouldn't be a problem.

But then again, "funny" is a subjective thing and not all "injokes" are necessarily funny on their own. Jokes should be funny, but injokes are sort of different. I think the humor comes from knowing the story behind the injoke more than the content itself (because the image of the Cheeto itself isn't funny, but what happened to it was very much so). Also, it seems more people are complaining about how quickly new injokes have been formed in the cringeworthy gallery than whether or not Circules is funny. When injokes form too quickly, it seems to make the others less special for a bit.

Anyway, if enough people like Circules, contribute to it, and find it funny, then it will continue to live and possibly be accepted by others in the community if it continues for long enough. If not, it will simply fade away until we've forgotten all about it.

An injoke is something everyone can accept.

Example:

On the WoW forums, there's a injoke for warriors about their beards.
What made it widely accepted amongst the community and even amongst the other class forums? Simple, it WAS funny.

An injoke is not easily created. It can not be planned. But, once it is made, it's something everyone can enjoy. It's something catchy and doesn't require but a small bit of knowledge.

Also, it shouldn't cause such a fucking uproar. Holy Jesus, people a trying to force an injoke like a meme. No, maybe that's what people are trying to do. TRYING TO FORCE A FUCKING MEME FROM WITHIN KYM

Great piercing, hard nipples of Aphrodite. I think the obvious hammer hit the nail of realization. I would say the mods need to watch out for users like the OP and the people who contributed to the demise of the cringeworthy image gallery, but that would be consider "work".

Joking aside
This needs to stop. Straight, simple, and to the point.

Last edited Jan 07, 2014 at 05:15AM EST

Lich wrote:

Example:

On the WoW forums, there's a injoke for warriors about their beards.
What made it widely accepted amongst the community and even amongst the other class forums? Simple, it WAS funny.

An injoke is not easily created. It can not be planned. But, once it is made, it's something everyone can enjoy. It's something catchy and doesn't require but a small bit of knowledge.

Also, it shouldn't cause such a fucking uproar. Holy Jesus, people a trying to force an injoke like a meme. No, maybe that's what people are trying to do. TRYING TO FORCE A FUCKING MEME FROM WITHIN KYM

Great piercing, hard nipples of Aphrodite. I think the obvious hammer hit the nail of realization. I would say the mods need to watch out for users like the OP and the people who contributed to the demise of the cringeworthy image gallery, but that would be consider "work".

Joking aside
This needs to stop. Straight, simple, and to the point.

I think I misinterpreted your first post. I thought you liked Circules so I was trying to explain that while Circules isn't being accepted it is still possible for it to catch on if left alone to grow "organically".

Anyway, I see that I was wrong. I didn't want to come off as pushing or advocating for Circules (I'm rather indifferent to it).

But I will argue about injokes. Llamas really aren't funny by themselves, but on deviantART they're an injoke among users because of an April fools thing which lead to the creation of the llama badge. With the WoW beards, it's not the beard itself but how the users reacted to the beard.

What I'm trying to say is that the subject itself is not what makes an injoke, but the history behind it otherwise it would be a joke anyone could get, thus not an injoke. More common injokes are apparent to all users immediately but many others can only be found while learning of the sites history and becoming more involved in said site's community.

I'll agree with Kurenai that an injoke should be found funny by the majority of the community, and it should not easily be created. But I think there's a reason why KYM specifically seems to be making a bunch of injokes: it's because we're not supposed to. If we don't have any original content or injokes, it makes us that more desperate to cling to something and call it an "injoke" whenever something pops up. A few times now I've seen somebody make spinoff fanart of something (which was always from the goddam Cringeworthy gallery) and users would IMMEDIATELY go "OH IT'S HAPPENING GUIS" "NEXT GOAT IS HERE" and that's what really pissed me off.

KYM users are too easily swept into the hype, and I was one of them. For about a month following the posting of the Yotsunoha Legs doujin in Hentai Quotes (the goat thing), it was a legitimate injoke that people would offhandedly reference by saying "they gonna play Battletoads" or something to that effect. A month later, somebody made the first picture using the Goat; that's when it started being forced down the community's throat by people like me. I don't necessarily regret what I did, but if I could go back I definitely would have done things differently. I actually find I Need Blood funny, what bothered me was that everyone posted spinoffs in the Cringeworthy gallery (just like the Circules thing now).

There are still some people that go around saying "Goat is love, Goat is life" and making religious references to Goat-tan. Personally, I find that annoying, but whatever floats their boat. I'm just worried at the moment because it feels like the shutdown of the Cringeworthy gallery has caused some unwarrented backlash against these injokes--which really don't qualify as "KYM injokes" but rather "injokes for a niche group in KYM." Sure, posting of shitty injokes in Cringeworthy contributed to the shutdown, but that gallery was a lost cause for a while now; users need to realize that and not make this group out to be a scapegoat.

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

There are only three true injokes, the Lords of KYM – Super Robo Jesus, the Cheeto, and the Goat.

Yeah-no. No, they're not.

Last edited Jan 07, 2014 at 02:14PM EST

Kurenai wrote:

"Can" doesn't mean they will. Sure there are people on the WoW forums who dislike that in-joke but chose to not voice their opinion.

As MedleyManiac said, “funny” is a subjective thing. Just because people find it funny and have fun with it, doesn't mean you should join them. But it doesn't mean you should ruin their fun either.

Tarhrdan wrote:

There are only three true injokes, the Lords of KYM – Super Robo Jesus, the Cheeto, and the Goat.
The Bloodhog, time to killed people and the Herculoon are their evil counterparts.

Deltamelon wrote:

I’m just worried at the moment because it feels like the shutdown of the Cringeworthy gallery has caused some unwarrented backlash against these injokes--which really don’t qualify as “KYM injokes” but rather “injokes for a niche group in KYM.”

Don't blame the jokes, blame the cringeworthy gallery for becoming a source for people to upload bullshit.

Back with the Goat you used tags to share it, and it worked.

Sure, posting of shitty injokes in Cringeworthy contributed to the shutdown, but that gallery was a lost cause for a while now; users need to realize that and not make this group out to be a scapegoat.

Jokes and memes will always have a side that hates them, the Goat and I Need Blood were never an exception, nor were the Cheeto and SJR when those were created. There were already those that disliked the injokes before the Cringeworthy gallery became an issue.

If people enjoy it and keep it contained, why should we ruin their fun? A thread for a topic to make art or photoshops off and share them for certain content wouldn't ruin anything. A thread or a couple doesn't hurt a person, as long as it's in JFF and people are actually having fun.

The cringeworthy gallery was the issue of the Herculoon here. Because then it's not a "contained" joke, as they are then spamming galleries with unrelated images. Should've someone had made a JFF thread with the original Herculoon image and a couple of Photoshop variations, I would've likely joined in to make a couple myself. But this thread was made after it had already spammed the Cringeworthy gallery, so now I no longer will.

Act smart and make people enjoy it in a way they won't be a bother to others, but allow those that want to enjoy it to share their stuff. Don't make a "meme" or an "in-joke", just make something the site can enjoy themselves with through for example just a JFF thread.

We need more photoshop and art threads in JFF, fuck I love those and the actually original content they produce. I Need Blood spawned great variations by various users, and some of these Herculoon images are pretty damn funny. It's a shame they ended up being shared through either Cringeworthy (where they became a bother) or image tags (where they became hidden for the majority). I would've called a JFF thread which spawned such variations a great succes.

Last edited Jan 07, 2014 at 06:11PM EST

Alright, as of now let's make a guideline to go about things such as this (injokes on kym).

If you see something with the potential to become exploitable:
-Add to the comments of the original material with your derivative
-If it catches on in the comments, go ahead and make a thread

Do not:
-Spam the original gallery where it was formed
-Force it onto other users where the joke is not applicable

I admit to being guilty of spamming the original gallery where "I Need Blood" was formed. In my defense, everyone involved wasn't really sure how to handle such a thing (but yeah, that doesn't excuse my behavior). However, now that we have more experience with such an issue, let's all be smarter about it in the future should this happen again.

@Medley

If it catches on in the comments, go ahead and make a thread

I think that is the best idea so far.

As I said before: All fads on KYM go to their own place. They don’t belong in main entries. And if there's a place for these fads, that place is here on the JFF board.

Part of the reason the goat got so far is because of it's own thread. I made the goat thread with the honest intention of just asking a question, but now that thread has evolved into Goat General where people are free to make any goat content they please there…and it worked. People continue to crank out goat content and there has been no shitstorms since. The goat gets its recognition and fanfare without interfering with anything else on the site because it's all in one designated place just for it.

It may be too late for Herculoon. It has been given its own thread, but the cringeworthy incident kinda sapped the fun out of it. But if we use forum threads for other fads in the future, we could possibly avoid this happening again

Sir Soundwave wrote:

>Returns to see how the thread is doing
>Sees flamewar
>mfw

That's another issue.

Users need to learn the difference between legitimate discussion and flamewars/shitstorms.

Sir Soundwave wrote:

>Returns to see how the thread is doing
>Sees flamewar
>mfw

This is not flaming, just saying.

Flaming is when people are just attacking and / or being offensive to each other, whereas this is just people posting (long posts) regarding their opinions. What's happening here is usually referred to as a shitstorm, although a shitstorm comes with a negative image, and this discussion isn't really going poorly. It's fine! Therefore it's neither a flamewar nor a shitstorm.

(I know the user above me already pointed out they were wrong, but they had not yet explained the difference.)

Last edited Jan 08, 2014 at 06:04AM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

That's another issue.

Users need to learn the difference between legitimate discussion and flamewars/shitstorms.

When people see wall of texts and reaction images, they automatically assume people are angry. So they post blindly and expect people to give them karma who also didn't read.

Maribel Hearn wrote:

This is not flaming, just saying.

Flaming is when people are just attacking and / or being offensive to each other, whereas this is just people posting (long posts) regarding their opinions. What's happening here is usually referred to as a shitstorm, although a shitstorm comes with a negative image, and this discussion isn't really going poorly. It's fine! Therefore it's neither a flamewar nor a shitstorm.

(I know the user above me already pointed out they were wrong, but they had not yet explained the difference.)

I knew the difference I'm just not a strong curser out of my reaction images/vids.
So apologies for that post.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!