Forums / Fun! / Memeory Lane

63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[Creative] KnowYourMeme-themed Pokémon hack

Last posted Mar 05, 2015 at 11:27PM EST. Added Apr 22, 2014 at 08:44AM EDT
988 posts from 127 users

Alright, now I'm feeling impulsive, but I'm not going to do anything big at the moment, first I just want to ask people's opinion. I have the technology to make custom Pokémon, as well as occasionally being able to change their cry. Basically, I can completely make an entirely new Pokémon as long as I have a place to put it. There are 411 available spaces for Pokémon in the generation III games, 25 of them being Missingno, and despite them being Missingno Pokémon, they are still fully functional. The only downside is that they are incapable of having a pokédex entry, and all missingno must share the same cry.

Now, all that being said. I feel like I want to make a Pokémon game like this, where all Pokémon are users. We have the option of evolution, making it so either one user evolves into another user, or one user becomes more improved. This will all come down to whether we have enough users for all the Pokémon or not. As for the trainers, gym leaders, and champion, these will all mostly go unchanged, regarding dialogue, name, and type of Pokémon used. I'll make it so all Pokémon are available to be caught, including legendaries, which in this case will be the Mods.

Now!
If I'm going to do this, I can't do it alone. I'm going to need a lot of volunteers, since the amount of Pokémon that are able to be put in the game is so high, and I want to have as many users as possible.
To qualify for the hack, the requirements are:
- You must have been on KYM for at least 2 months.
- You must have an avi that is unique, we can't have copies.
- You must provide a detailed description on how your persona will be used, and look, and a reference is needed.

The stats, type, and dex entry will mostly be up to me, but if you have any suggestions about any of those, or which gen III game I should use, feel free to say anything. Also, keep in mind that the character limit for names is 10, and I think around 90 for the dex entries. I've put Fairy type in the other hack I'm making, so that's up for grabs.

Finally… As for the overall characters, they will mostly not be changed, but if any artists have a suggestion on to what the boy or girl player character would be, that would greatly be appreciated.

If you want some samples of my work, here you are:

If you don't remember these…

… There's also these

I'm going to need a lot of volunteers if I'm going to do this, if at all.
Thank you, and everyone's input is always appreciated!

(P.S.- If I do in fact use Emerald… It's going to take a whole lot longer, and I'd have to match up each user with a fitting cry, and animation, since I can't change the animation, which is already programmed into the Pokémon's index number. I'm just saying it would be a whole lot easier to do Ruby or FireRed, but I'm just throwing it out there.)

For sprite choices, just use a simple ball of floating blue fire. A soul.
If I can evolve, I would like the next spirte model to look like a lich from warcraft 3.

So, erm, level 1 through whatever, the "pokemon" name is Gespenst. Level Whatever to whatever is Liche or Lich.

If it's too much of a hassle for the Lich model, you can just keep me as the soul fire thing and just name it Lich.

blue wrote:

Are you sure that this is an actual KYM game and not a bunch of users contributing to something just to get a pixel of themselves?

Would you like me to throw together a sample?
Just say either Ruby or FireRed, and I'll have something within 24 hours.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 10:30AM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

Would you like me to throw together a sample?
Just say either Ruby or FireRed, and I'll have something within 24 hours.

Fun fact:I have no idea what are you talking about, so it's your call.

blue wrote:

Fun fact:I have no idea what are you talking about, so it's your call.

Well, if you don't know what I'm talking about, then don't say anything in the first place. But no harm done, you just don't understand is all.

Sounds fun. I'll be a Choco Taco. I don't even need to evolve, I can be one of those pokemon that don't evolve, unless you're doing the thing where a user evolved into a new user, where it can be your choice. But I'm not sure what you mean with the reference thing, can you please elaborate?

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 10:30AM EDT

This is a great idea. I'm in fully %376537686546584 support of this.
I will have 3 evolutions
Irony> Advanced Irony> Hella Irony
I evolve from Irony to Advanced Irony by having a new member in the party defeating a moderator.
I evolve from Advanced Irony to Hella irony by being trained in a Shipping Blog/Forum/ Chatroom/ Etc.

Advanced Irony wrote:

I will have 3 evolutions
I evolve from Irony to Advanced Irony by having a new member in the party defeating a moderator.
I evolve from Advanced Irony to Hella irony by being trained in a Shipping Blog/Forum/ Chatroom/ Etc.

Oh you're cute, you just joined two months ago.

Advanced Irony wrote:

I will have 3 evolutions

I'm sorry, everyone, but I must enforce that a simple request on what each user will be is not enough. I please ask of everyone to provide a reference image, preferably more than one, if possible, just so I can get the best angle for the best possible sprite. Thank you.

Shadow Man wrote:

I'm sorry, everyone, but I must enforce that a simple request on what each user will be is not enough. I please ask of everyone to provide a reference image, preferably more than one, if possible, just so I can get the best angle for the best possible sprite. Thank you.

Here are some

Oh neat, I'll just be a Glaceon with the Choice Specs on so that makes it easy enough. Also, do not go with Emerald; having to make all those extra sprites would be a massive pain in the ass. Are only KYM users going to be Pokemon, or how is this going to work? Also, if only users are Pokemon, that should mean we get to choose our ability, type, moveset, and stats. However, no one wants to be a shitty 'mon, so that would mean that every single user should be of equal footing and no one (sans the mods) should be substantially more powerful than anyone else.

Either way, I can get behind this idea. The trainer should probs be KYM-tan or something.
>inb4 "let's make the injokes pokemon"

That Glaceon wrote:

Oh neat, I'll just be a Glaceon with the Choice Specs on so that makes it easy enough. Also, do not go with Emerald; having to make all those extra sprites would be a massive pain in the ass. Are only KYM users going to be Pokemon, or how is this going to work? Also, if only users are Pokemon, that should mean we get to choose our ability, type, moveset, and stats. However, no one wants to be a shitty 'mon, so that would mean that every single user should be of equal footing and no one (sans the mods) should be substantially more powerful than anyone else.

Either way, I can get behind this idea. The trainer should probs be KYM-tan or something.
>inb4 "let's make the injokes pokemon"

Well, I plan to have only users, and maybe a few injokes as Pokémon, the popular ones, at least, like Goat-tan, Super Robo Jesus, and I Need Blood, all depending on how many spaces we have left and what people feel about it.

And yes, you bring up a good point that you should choose your type and ability, which I will allow. However, stat-wise I will put in for the most part, mainly because not everyone that likes Pokémon is into all the technical kind of things, like competitive. I mean, I didn't know what Special Attack did until a few years ago, and I've been a Pokémon fan since Gold and Silver. But if anyone has any suggestions for their character's stats, that are reasonable, (Like, no saying "Oh, my persona is God, I get 255 in all stats") then feel free to suggest anything.

And finally… your take on KYM-tan. Unfortunately, I decided before I started that KYM-tan will not be in the game, but only because she basically is KnowYourMeme. If I were to include KYM-tan, I would have to include Tumblr, 4chan, deviantart, Youtube, etc.
So, I'm sorry about that.

Fish Dick wrote:

Quick question: What is the deadline?

No deadline, I'm just going to start, and finish when I can. The good news is that given how simple this will be, I should have the first beta, equipped with a good feel of the game as well as the first couple of gyms, is estimated to be done within a month. Heck, it could be two weeks if I really try.

Well, dang. I'm already an actual Pokemon…but maybe my tendency to change my username and profile picture every what, like 2 weeks, could be worked in and I could be a Ditto analogue for this game. What do you think?

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 12:14PM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

Well, I plan to have only users, and maybe a few injokes as Pokémon, the popular ones, at least, like Goat-tan, Super Robo Jesus, and I Need Blood, all depending on how many spaces we have left and what people feel about it.

And yes, you bring up a good point that you should choose your type and ability, which I will allow. However, stat-wise I will put in for the most part, mainly because not everyone that likes Pokémon is into all the technical kind of things, like competitive. I mean, I didn't know what Special Attack did until a few years ago, and I've been a Pokémon fan since Gold and Silver. But if anyone has any suggestions for their character's stats, that are reasonable, (Like, no saying "Oh, my persona is God, I get 255 in all stats") then feel free to suggest anything.

And finally… your take on KYM-tan. Unfortunately, I decided before I started that KYM-tan will not be in the game, but only because she basically is KnowYourMeme. If I were to include KYM-tan, I would have to include Tumblr, 4chan, deviantart, Youtube, etc.
So, I'm sorry about that.

This is probably the most important thing to note in picking stats; keep them within reason. If you know your avatar isn't going to have much along the lines of physical prowess, then it's okay to give them more Sp. Stats. You can't have some super-powerful god character that you can beat anyone with, though, with ridiculous stats with no balance.

Leading into my suggestion; do you suppose, instead of evolution, it could be the Avatar/User gaining KYM titles? It would be awesome to watch a lowly Brand-New-Member rise through the ranks to become Sr. Database Mod.

Okay I'll bite

Thatswynaut

Approval Pokémon

Type: Psychic/Water (Because my tie is blue. Creativity / 10)

Ability: Shadow Tag (It prevents Shadowman from leaving again)

Hidden Ability: Insomnia (I’m making this at 1:30)

Egg group: Mineral (Do I have to explain everything jeez)

Height: 5”3

Weight: 1.1 lbs

“It wanders the world looking for things. When it finds something it likes, it gives it a thumbs-up.”

Instead of merely providing the full size avatar as a reference image (mine IS an OC, after all… I didn't draw that image though)… Here's a sprite I drew instead.

Typing would be Water/… Something. I'm not that familiar with the franchise so I'm not too familiar with all the types.

There would be a focus on Sp. Atk (he IS a magic user), but the physical attack stat would also be somewhat decent, because of that sword. Def and Sp. Def would be the low ones here.

As for ability. I have no idea what they would even be. I'm sure you'll be able to find something appropriate.

Because it's an OC, I'll just say right up. The only move types this one would be able to use are water type specials and normal type physicals. (As in, all normal type moves it'd be able to learn use the regular attack stat, and all water type moves it'd be able to learn would use the sp. atk stat.)

I want to be this game's Ratatta. Everywhere at the beginning of the game, and all the lamest trainers use him.

SrsBznss evolves into SrserBznss like so

The sprites should be only one of those little guys, but obviously just take one frame, because animations are too hard.

But there are so many of them you cannot ever escape.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 02:25PM EDT

Raycypress

Type: Grass (due to the green shirt)
Ability: Grass Pelt
Hidden Ability: Evolve
Egg group: Grass
Height: 5''11
Weight: 16.2 lbs

STARTER MOVES

1. Vine Whip
2. Razor Leaf
3. Sleep Powder
4. Cut

"Always finds a way to offend anyone and everyone."

You could tweak the info/moves if you want to.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 03:29PM EDT

i would love to be a pokemon
but sadly i do not remember enough to fill out much
what i can give you is

type: normal/water
i would love to be the games slowpoke
no evovle form
feel free to use slowpoke as basis for my stats
aswell as abilities
if you could i would love 3 usless moves and one single but powerful attack (and by usless i mean non-damage ones aka boosts or something)

as for look

either this (made by me)

or the duck in the funny hat from this image (made by muumi on my request)

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 04:29PM EDT

A KYM-themed Pokémon hack? Hell, I'm all in. Anyway, here are some reference pictures of the Snarbolax for the sprite:

And here is some info for the Pokémon itself:
Type: Dark
Ability: Intimidate or Rough Skin
Egg Group: Monster
Possible Moves: Dig, Pin Missile, Roar, Bite, Crunch, and Spikes
Pokedex Entry: Snarbolax, The Frumious Pokémon. This shadowy beast lives deep in the woods. It hunts its prey with eyes of fire and attacks with sharp thorns and bites.

Feel free to make any tweaks to the info and moves if necessary.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 05:15PM EDT

Never done anything in the forums before, but I'd like to be in the game if that's okay. I understand if I can't, don't really have a unique picture or anything, just thought I'd put myself out as an option

Here's my avatar as reference if that helps

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 05:34PM EDT

Well, my profile picture is just a banana, so that shouldn't be too hard.
I would be grass type, maybe grass/normal or grass/fairy
My ability would be either gooey, harvest, or shed skin
I can't really think of anything else. I'd probably be a pretty wimpy pokemon, since I am just a banana.

Hey, so I was finally able to get to my workspace and throw something together in about an hour, which was all the time I had.

I made a Newfag sprite, and inserted it into the game, which will replace the Poochyena attacking Professor Birch.

Behold

But, unfortunately, as you can see, he's causing me some issues. I'm going to fix this when I can.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 06:19PM EDT

How limited by sprite palettes are you? I've tried hacking Pokemon before and found it very finicky to work with because of it.

I'd like to participate in this. Give me a while and I will give info on myself.

Samuel Rodrigues:

I would be fighting and electric due to my main source of attacks coming from my electrical blade.

You're putting over 400 users into this? There'll be no problem fitting people in! The problem would actually be not finding enough! Don't worry, you have lots of space. This is really cool of you. Thanks ahead of time!

Seven months since I joined, I should be either a Mud type, a Ground Type, a Dark Type, or replace Grimer and Muk.

IF REPLACING GRIMER AND MUK: Make the "Me" short and clothless for Grimer. After evolving, put the Hat and Epaulet shoulders on with a taller reference. Add some detail, such as dripping goo if you'd like. Your choice, man.

IF REPLACING A SINGLE POKEMON: Refer to the plan of replacing Muk.

Health should be from Level 1: 9/9 to level 100: 475/475.

(I don't think being a slime named "Funky Rat" would be accurate, so I'm changing to Slime 'Cap.)

Reference:

Back

Front

Draw me like one of your French girls! Another reference.

(ahem)

Also, If you can, please do send me progress on my sprite.

(the number of these edits are too damn high) I'd set Slimey's shiny sprite as Green, if you'd please.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 09:00PM EDT

Dennis The Hitman
The Stalking Pokémon

Type: Dark/Fighting
Ability: Battle Armor
Egg group: Human-Like
Height: 5"8'
Weight: 180 lbs
Possible Moves: Bulk Up, Fake Tears, Focus Punch, Hi Jump Kick, Karate Chop, Tickle (for lulz)
"It constantly searches for a yellow sponge and a pink seastar. Very hostile and has a short fuse.”

Possible Sprite:

EDIT Whoa. I just found this. Something like this would be great.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 09:04PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!