Forums / Media / Video Games

3,595 total conversations in 30 threads

+ New Thread


KnowYourMeme-themed Pokémon hack

Last posted Jul 24, 2014 at 02:10AM EDT. Added Apr 22, 2014 at 08:44AM EDT
896 posts from 120 users

Shadow Man wrote:

Alright, guys, I have an important announcement.

So, I’m just going to put it shortly. Something big and personal has come up on my end, and I’m not going to be able to work on the game for a little bit…
Not only that, but odds are that I won’t even be able to be online for large periods of time… possibly months apart. This is going to last at the very least until Christmas, if not an entire year.

I’m going to see what I can do to stay in touch, or at least still work on bits and pieces of the game, since I don’t need internet, and only a working PC with MS Paint, but I can only get done what I already have saved on my list. I should be able to hold out without internet for a while, since I only have about 20/80 of the usermon’s sprites done, not to mention I still have the whole game to program.
But… Still… There’s still the possibility of there being no contact from me for months at a time, but also the possibility of my checking in every week or so.

I swear… Every KYM-game or project that ever starts to get made, starting with the original KYM RPG, is somehow cursed. It starts off looking great, looking like it’s going to be completed, then something comes up, and then the process is halted/discontinued. It’s happened to me before, even, for those of you who knew me in my earlier KYM times, I was making a comic with a bunch of my user friends in it, and then, when I went away for a different personal thing, I was at a hotel, and an accident happened to where juice was spilled all over the pages I had for it, making it nearly illegible. The only pages I had saved were older ones that I had scanned beforehand, and had them on my flash drive.
… If history really does have a way of repeating itself, then I pray something like that doesn’t happen again.

Don’t get me wrong, I really want to do this, since ROM hacking is among my top 7 favorite things to do. I’m backing everything I have so far onto my desktop, and the other files I have on the google doc.
Speaking of, just because I’m going to be away for a while doesn’t mean that you guys still can’t submit requests. I just won’t be able to see them right away, is all. Also, That’sWhyNot, don’t stop updating the request doc, as it’s much easier to access than going into KYM, searching for the thread and finding the right one, then going to the last page I left off, versus just going onto Google docs, clicking Starred, then having it up there in front of me.

Now, this isn’t going to happen until around the rest of this week or 2 weeks from now, so you’ll still see me around then, but once it happens, I’ll let you know, and that’ll be it for a while.

Until then.

i have strong faith in you and i trust:

you never gonna give this up
never gonna let us down
just run away and desert it
never gonna make us cry and say goodbye
tell it’s a lie and hurt us

Last edited May 07, 2014 at 02:30PM EDT
May 07, 2014 at 02:27PM EDT
Quote

Is it too late to chip in and ask to get into this project?

Last edited May 07, 2014 at 02:28PM EDT
May 07, 2014 at 02:27PM EDT
Quote

Shadow Man wrote:

Alright, guys, I have an important announcement.

So, I’m just going to put it shortly. Something big and personal has come up on my end, and I’m not going to be able to work on the game for a little bit…
Not only that, but odds are that I won’t even be able to be online for large periods of time… possibly months apart. This is going to last at the very least until Christmas, if not an entire year.

I’m going to see what I can do to stay in touch, or at least still work on bits and pieces of the game, since I don’t need internet, and only a working PC with MS Paint, but I can only get done what I already have saved on my list. I should be able to hold out without internet for a while, since I only have about 20/80 of the usermon’s sprites done, not to mention I still have the whole game to program.
But… Still… There’s still the possibility of there being no contact from me for months at a time, but also the possibility of my checking in every week or so.

I swear… Every KYM-game or project that ever starts to get made, starting with the original KYM RPG, is somehow cursed. It starts off looking great, looking like it’s going to be completed, then something comes up, and then the process is halted/discontinued. It’s happened to me before, even, for those of you who knew me in my earlier KYM times, I was making a comic with a bunch of my user friends in it, and then, when I went away for a different personal thing, I was at a hotel, and an accident happened to where juice was spilled all over the pages I had for it, making it nearly illegible. The only pages I had saved were older ones that I had scanned beforehand, and had them on my flash drive.
… If history really does have a way of repeating itself, then I pray something like that doesn’t happen again.

Don’t get me wrong, I really want to do this, since ROM hacking is among my top 7 favorite things to do. I’m backing everything I have so far onto my desktop, and the other files I have on the google doc.
Speaking of, just because I’m going to be away for a while doesn’t mean that you guys still can’t submit requests. I just won’t be able to see them right away, is all. Also, That’sWhyNot, don’t stop updating the request doc, as it’s much easier to access than going into KYM, searching for the thread and finding the right one, then going to the last page I left off, versus just going onto Google docs, clicking Starred, then having it up there in front of me.

Now, this isn’t going to happen until around the rest of this week or 2 weeks from now, so you’ll still see me around then, but once it happens, I’ll let you know, and that’ll be it for a while.

Until then.

Well, good luck with what has come up. A shame it had to come to this, especially now where it was looking so promising.

May 07, 2014 at 04:42PM EDT
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Well, I guess this is the sad end to another KYM game.

See you soon Shad, hope you are going to be ok, and hopefully this can be revived.

Sad end?
If I have to come back to this forum EVERY DAY just to keep it alive, I will.
Shad, I swear upon my honor as a Pokémon Trainer to keep this game alive – you can count on it.
Godspeed, Shadowman, my friend. I won’t say goodbye… because I know this isn’t really goodbye.

May 07, 2014 at 06:04PM EDT
Quote

Kung Fu Cthulhu wrote:

Is it too late to chip in and ask to get into this project?

Of course it’s not too late.
Just because Shadow says that he won’t be able to participate in the creation for a while doesn’t mean we can’t hold down the fort for him until then.

May 07, 2014 at 06:06PM EDT
Quote

What? SrsBznss is evolving!
Dee-doo-dee-doo

dun
DUN
dun
DUN
dun
DUN
dun
DUUUUUN

Your SrsBznss evolved into SrsERbznss!

These are the sprites. Took me ten minutes. Piece of cake.

May 07, 2014 at 06:17PM EDT
Quote

TheTrollingShuckle wrote:

Sad end?
If I have to come back to this forum EVERY DAY just to keep it alive, I will.
Shad, I swear upon my honor as a Pokémon Trainer to keep this game alive – you can count on it.
Godspeed, Shadowman, my friend. I won’t say goodbye… because I know this isn’t really goodbye.

Me too! I’ll make sure this never goes away till the day it returns!

…..Also, could someone please add me and SilentMassacre64 to the doc…..

May 07, 2014 at 06:32PM EDT
Quote

LordTekron wrote:

I am just going to pretend it isn’t too late to apply to this thing

Tekron, the Crown Pokemon

Type: Steel/Dark
Ability: Iron Barbs
Wanting to be a animator, this pokemon’s dreams were crushed when it realized it was just a floating crown

Also random question, what do we have for legendaries (if any), because I MAY happen to have done 2 and posted them on this site because I could, here they are…

Unless we do have some destined legendaries… idk I wasn’t going to bother reading through 7 pages worth

Well, if you did read the pages, you would know that the legendaries are the mods. And honestly, you should bother to read through the pages… At least reading the ones by me, especially that have a “TL;DR” label on them. Vital information, also included in that is the fact that Iron Barbs is a no-no.

Anyways, I added you to my to-do list.

Also… I know I can’t really apply these guys to the game, but I just thought I’d put my little twist on them because I was bored.

Just a daily reminder: Don’t be afraid to post art, because I just might be bored enough to redraw it. (coughcoughineedbloodcough)

But yeah.

One last thing… After talking it over with a friend, it’s been decided that this person (Who I only have one of their forms done) along with their partner will be making an appearance…
Click the spoiler tag if you dare.

LET’S GET CREATIVE

Also, in case you didn’t notice, check out the background color I gave her. (Which was actually by coincidence, believe it or not….)

May 07, 2014 at 06:57PM EDT
Quote

Shadow Man wrote:

Well, if you did read the pages, you would know that the legendaries are the mods. And honestly, you should bother to read through the pages… At least reading the ones by me, especially that have a “TL;DR” label on them. Vital information, also included in that is the fact that Iron Barbs is a no-no.

Anyways, I added you to my to-do list.

Also… I know I can’t really apply these guys to the game, but I just thought I’d put my little twist on them because I was bored.

Just a daily reminder: Don’t be afraid to post art, because I just might be bored enough to redraw it. (coughcoughineedbloodcough)

But yeah.

One last thing… After talking it over with a friend, it’s been decided that this person (Who I only have one of their forms done) along with their partner will be making an appearance…
Click the spoiler tag if you dare.

LET’S GET CREATIVE

Also, in case you didn’t notice, check out the background color I gave her. (Which was actually by coincidence, believe it or not….)

JESUS CHRIST, MALWAR LOOKS EPIC!
This, plus OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire’s announcement, literally just made this one of the best days of my life.

May 07, 2014 at 07:31PM EDT
Quote

Man, I’m sorry to hear that there’s some problems Shadowman. Hope you get through them.

Just out of curiosity, were you going to use a Slowking or Lugia for my sprite?

May 07, 2014 at 07:45PM EDT
Quote

I-I’m not too late am I?
Since a plain Porygon-z would be, well, too plain, I will just leave this here

The art isn’t form me btw. Also the name is obviously SaikouTM

Last edited May 07, 2014 at 08:33PM EDT
May 07, 2014 at 08:15PM EDT
Quote

Simpsonsfan1011 wrote:

This is the sprite hope it isn’t too big because it is the best that I have

Whew

Jeez, that is one big sprite. I don’t think even if the sprite size limit was the entire gameboy screen it would even fit.

But again, don’t worry, it’s not mandatory that you provide your own sprite, and only a reference is fine. I can provide a decent sprite just from concept art, and this will do fine.

May 07, 2014 at 08:42PM EDT
Quote

Shadow Man wrote:

Whew

Jeez, that is one big sprite. I don’t think even if the sprite size limit was the entire gameboy screen it would even fit.

But again, don’t worry, it’s not mandatory that you provide your own sprite, and only a reference is fine. I can provide a decent sprite just from concept art, and this will do fine.

Thank you I would be ok no matter what sprite you made feel better man

May 07, 2014 at 08:45PM EDT
Quote

Shadow Man wrote:

Well, if you did read the pages, you would know that the legendaries are the mods. And honestly, you should bother to read through the pages… At least reading the ones by me, especially that have a “TL;DR” label on them. Vital information, also included in that is the fact that Iron Barbs is a no-no.

Anyways, I added you to my to-do list.

Also… I know I can’t really apply these guys to the game, but I just thought I’d put my little twist on them because I was bored.

Just a daily reminder: Don’t be afraid to post art, because I just might be bored enough to redraw it. (coughcoughineedbloodcough)

But yeah.

One last thing… After talking it over with a friend, it’s been decided that this person (Who I only have one of their forms done) along with their partner will be making an appearance…
Click the spoiler tag if you dare.

LET’S GET CREATIVE

Also, in case you didn’t notice, check out the background color I gave her. (Which was actually by coincidence, believe it or not….)

Oh sure, MAKE ME LOOK LIKE A BAD ARTIST BY PUTTING DETAIL INTO A REDESIGN!

Real talk though, HOLY SHIT THOSE ARE AWESOME! YOU STILL CERTAIN THESE CANNOT BE PUT INGAME? YOU MADE THEM PRETTY BADASS LOOKING!! EVEN AS AN EASTER EGG?! MORE CAPS LOCK BECAUSE I CAN!

(also the kym symbol on Termin is a nice touch)

and yeah the main reason I didn’t read through them all was because I was in a bit of a rush, sorry about that, and the only reason I picked Iron Barbs is because, pointy crown spikes = hurts if you punch it… Just fill in whatever ability you think fits best then…

May 07, 2014 at 09:39PM EDT
Quote

Some folk are saying they’re submissions are absent from the googledoc; not sure why, that thing’s been up to speed for about a week.
I have a feeling the issue may be because there are actually two docs:
THIS ONE is a rough list of participants and their sprites (which can be edited exclusively by Mr Shad), and THIS ONE is a more comprehensive catalogue, showing everyone’s more finite requests and sprite templates; made and revised by moi.
As usual, if anybody wants their data altered, just let me know and I’ll make amends.

@LordTekron I made your ability Rough Skin. It’s the same thing as Iron Barbs, only 100% more third gen.

Last edited May 07, 2014 at 10:10PM EDT
May 07, 2014 at 10:10PM EDT
Quote

ThatsWhyNot wrote:

Some folk are saying they’re submissions are absent from the googledoc; not sure why, that thing’s been up to speed for about a week.
I have a feeling the issue may be because there are actually two docs:
THIS ONE is a rough list of participants and their sprites (which can be edited exclusively by Mr Shad), and THIS ONE is a more comprehensive catalogue, showing everyone’s more finite requests and sprite templates; made and revised by moi.
As usual, if anybody wants their data altered, just let me know and I’ll make amends.

@LordTekron I made your ability Rough Skin. It’s the same thing as Iron Barbs, only 100% more third gen.

Can you change my ability to Huge Power or Sturdy since contrary is not a gen 3 ability

May 07, 2014 at 10:18PM EDT
Quote

ThatsWhyNot wrote:

Some folk are saying they’re submissions are absent from the googledoc; not sure why, that thing’s been up to speed for about a week.
I have a feeling the issue may be because there are actually two docs:
THIS ONE is a rough list of participants and their sprites (which can be edited exclusively by Mr Shad), and THIS ONE is a more comprehensive catalogue, showing everyone’s more finite requests and sprite templates; made and revised by moi.
As usual, if anybody wants their data altered, just let me know and I’ll make amends.

@LordTekron I made your ability Rough Skin. It’s the same thing as Iron Barbs, only 100% more third gen.

I have a suggestion for a move!
NSFW (It’s Metronome)
No one knows what lies behind this censor. Could be boobs, weird fetishes, maybe an attack?

May 08, 2014 at 12:09AM EDT
Quote

SirSomeguy wrote:

I have a suggestion for a move!
NSFW (It’s Metronome)
No one knows what lies behind this censor. Could be boobs, weird fetishes, maybe an attack?

The same idea essentially was in place earlier with the eeveelutions
(an Idea I really didn’t support.)
I think this works better. Editing text doesn’t take too long me thinks.

May 08, 2014 at 08:52AM EDT
Quote

Shadow Man wrote:

Well, if you did read the pages, you would know that the legendaries are the mods. And honestly, you should bother to read through the pages… At least reading the ones by me, especially that have a “TL;DR” label on them. Vital information, also included in that is the fact that Iron Barbs is a no-no.

Anyways, I added you to my to-do list.

Also… I know I can’t really apply these guys to the game, but I just thought I’d put my little twist on them because I was bored.

Just a daily reminder: Don’t be afraid to post art, because I just might be bored enough to redraw it. (coughcoughineedbloodcough)

But yeah.

One last thing… After talking it over with a friend, it’s been decided that this person (Who I only have one of their forms done) along with their partner will be making an appearance…
Click the spoiler tag if you dare.

LET’S GET CREATIVE

Also, in case you didn’t notice, check out the background color I gave her. (Which was actually by coincidence, believe it or not….)

THERE’S NO TIME.

… this might look bad

May 08, 2014 at 05:10PM EDT
Quote

Dusk wrote:

The same idea essentially was in place earlier with the eeveelutions
(an Idea I really didn’t support.)
I think this works better. Editing text doesn’t take too long me thinks.

again i get the downvotes.
Fine people. I get it. You want your NSFW eevees.
I’ll just take my unpopular opinions and leave..

See more on Know Your Meme

May 08, 2014 at 07:05PM EDT
Quote

Slime 'Cap wrote:

THERE’S NO TIME.

… this might look bad

Shadow: (laughs)

May 08, 2014 at 09:30PM EDT
Quote

Shadow Man wrote:

Shadow: (laughs)

Digging the Notebook’s evolution.

Since we’re adding in more than just Usermons, and there’s a lack of Dragon types as far as I can tell, would it be a good suggestion to add…

May 08, 2014 at 09:43PM EDT
Quote

Peacock Roy wrote:

Digging the Notebook’s evolution.

Since we’re adding in more than just Usermons, and there’s a lack of Dragon types as far as I can tell, would it be a good suggestion to add…

I’d say he was a

Or maybe he was a /

or maybe he was just a

TROGDOR
Last edited May 08, 2014 at 11:33PM EDT
May 08, 2014 at 11:32PM EDT
Quote

Serious Business wrote:

I’d say he was a

Or maybe he was a /

or maybe he was just a

TROGDOR

I don’t remember if nighttime could affect evolution in gen 3 or if that was just gen 2
But if it can, maybe something should evolve into this through friendship at night like Umbreon

Because the Trogdor comes in the%{font-size:20pt}*NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!*%
May 09, 2014 at 02:36AM EDT
Quote

Monos89 wrote:

I don’t remember if nighttime could affect evolution in gen 3 or if that was just gen 2
But if it can, maybe something should evolve into this through friendship at night like Umbreon

Because the Trogdor comes in the%{font-size:20pt}*NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!*%

There’s no time cycles in Gen III. He’d have to evolve normally, or at least not from happiness at night, probably from man to dragon-man and then just a dragon.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 06:55AM EDT
May 09, 2014 at 06:55AM EDT
Quote

Peacock Roy wrote:

There’s no time cycles in Gen III. He’d have to evolve normally, or at least not from happiness at night, probably from man to dragon-man and then just a dragon.

Well, let me correct you. There’s time cycles, hence why you have to set your clock at the beginning of the game since the GBA didn’t have an internal clock, so time does pass, but it just doesn’t show for it.

May 09, 2014 at 07:24AM EDT
Quote

Dennis (The Hitman) wrote:

Rough draft.


Not bad! Though, I had just gotten the idea of making my sprites a conglomeration of some of my favorite profile pictures that I’ve used:

Lugia
Slowking
Gumball Watterson

I made a quick draft with this idea:

(Apologies for using MS Paint, but I don’t have a good picture scanner that’s within a good distance so I can scan in an actual drawing.)

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 03:58PM EDT
May 09, 2014 at 03:52PM EDT
Quote

Alrighty guys, since Shad has personal things I think it’s important that we DO NOT let this project die out like the countless others. One of the most important things we can do is for any spriters to make sprites of other users. Granted, I doubt most of us are as good as Shad at it (hell even my Glaceon was sub-par), but at the very least he won’t use a sprite we make, and at the very most he can tweak it a bit (like he did with my Glaceon) and make it look great. I’ll try and do a couple if I can; it’s not a question of time, it’s a question of how much clicking my wrists can take.

And guys: don’t forget that the front sprite isn’t the only one. There’s a back sprite as well as two mini-sprites (which you can see in ThatsWhyNot’s list here). Hell, there’s even a custom footprint for each ‘mon. Let’s not forget how much work this can be; I once tried to make a Pokemon ROM hack several years ago, and found that the sprites were one of the most time-consuming parts of the project. And with that,

godspeed you magnificent bastards!

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 07:58PM EDT
May 09, 2014 at 07:58PM EDT
Quote

Hey.

Is this project dead?

I could help with spriting, if needed.

I’m mostly okay at tilesets.

Is there a pallet I need to follow? Size limitations?

I’ll try my best.

May 09, 2014 at 08:08PM EDT
Quote

Dennis (The Hitman) wrote:

It has to be 64 × 64 and a colored background.

Okay.

If anyone has art references for whatever, I’ll try to pixel it.

I have a lot of free time, so I can update quite often.

May 09, 2014 at 08:15PM EDT
Quote

Alright, just a couple of quick things

Alrighty guys, since Shad has personal things I think it’s important that we DO NOT let this project die out like the countless others. One of the most important things we can do is for any spriters to make sprites of other users. Granted, I doubt most of us are as good as Shad at it (hell even my Glaceon was sub-par), but at the very least he won’t use a sprite we make, and at the very most he can tweak it a bit (like he did with my Glaceon) and make it look great. I’ll try and do a couple if I can; it’s not a question of time, it’s a question of how much clicking my wrists can take.

And guys: don’t forget that the front sprite isn’t the only one. There’s a back sprite as well as two mini-sprites (which you can see in ThatsWhyNot’s list here). Hell, there’s even a custom footprint for each ‘mon. Let’s not forget how much work this can be; I once tried to make a Pokemon ROM hack several years ago, and found that the sprites were one of the most time-consuming parts of the project. And with that,
godspeed you magnificent bastards!

Small correction… The sprite list is mine, and That’sWhyNot’s list is the one of requests, but I’m sure that was something that was a typo… Like, you knew who’s doc it was, you were just thinking That’sWhyNot, and you put it down. Happens to me all the time.

Hey.
Is this project dead?
I could help with spriting, if needed.
I’m mostly okay at tilesets.
Is there a pallet I need to follow? Size limitations?
I’ll try my best.

Well, as of right now, this project is hanging in there.
Concerning sprites, I’m trying to tackle as many as I can right now, and mostly leaving them unfinished, then once the game is ready, and everyone is in, that’s when I go back and polish the sprites. For the tilesets, I’m 99.2483% sure that we’re not going to have a different tileset other than the one we’re given. Fortunately, there’s no color palette restrictions, as the gameboy advance was capable of producing almost any color, however, it did come with it’s limitations, as each sprite has to have a maximum of 16 colors (including shading, extremely similar colors, and the background color). As Dennis said, the sprite’s maximum size has to be 64×64 pixels. However, it’s not mandatory for it to have a colored background… The reason you see all the sprites on there that have that, however, is because of the program I use to insert sprites. See, in order for the program to pick up it’s transparency, it’s background color has to be something completely contradicting what the sprite looks like, so there’s not a big box around the sprite when it’s in the game. As for the mini-sprites, or “icon-sprites,” those are another story. Those do in fact have a palette limitation, consisting of 3 different palettes in total. I don’t know exactly which colors are in each one, so I just find an icon sprite that has the most similar colors and go from there. As for the size, it’s 32×64 pixels, with each sprite actually being a maximum of 32×32. Also, if we’re going to do that, we have to make sure they line up, so it’s animation won’t look crooked.

But yeah, other than that, that’s pretty much all I have to say regarding that.

(And one more thing… I started on a certain person’s sprite today, but wasn’t able to finish, that I think you all are going to get a real kick out of. So prepare uranus, because I have a lot of free time and access to a PC all weekend.)

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 09:56PM EDT
May 09, 2014 at 09:55PM EDT
Quote

I redid this, as the original was lacking

My labour to mankind has been complete!

I’m going to do around 3-5 more tonight. So prepare YOUR anus, folks.

Also, can I put one of my characters in? (I’ll pick one from my 4) I’ll sprite them myself.

May 09, 2014 at 10:15PM EDT
Quote

Dead Booty wrote:

alrite,here we go

Dead Booty
Type:Ghost/Fire
Ref:
Thanks, Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis (das a long name)

Oh crap,didn’t consider the rear-view thing and the other stuff
Here’s a better ref:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140215223226/skullgirls/images/f/fb/Squigly_Model_Sheet.jpg
Just putting the link because I’m not sure how big it will be. It has a lot of stuff that you probably wont need but It’s better than not having enough.
Also the colors are different because fighting games and palettes and junk. Pls use the colors from the first ref.

May 09, 2014 at 10:17PM EDT
Quote

Gattah go fats

Also, the mini sprites are based of the cameo from Steven Universe for inconsistency, just a bit deformed. He’s also flipping the bird.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 11:05PM EDT
May 09, 2014 at 10:58PM EDT
Quote

Saikoutm wrote:

I-I’m not too late am I?
Since a plain Porygon-z would be, well, too plain, I will just leave this here

The art isn’t form me btw. Also the name is obviously SaikouTM

Can I sprite this? Pory is my favorite pokemon!

May 09, 2014 at 11:02PM EDT
Quote

Here’s the Pory!

May do the freaky thing my profile avatar is (A robotic Featherweight from MLP)

May 10, 2014 at 12:53AM EDT
Quote

Some abominations of Filler.

I need help picking one, got any votes?

Ugly robot-Feather

Poneh Filler.

Stubbison the rat cat, and Hirntrot the brain-drained shepard.

May 10, 2014 at 01:22AM EDT
Quote

Word Up! You must login or signup first!