Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,687 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Mafia Game Ressurection: Trouble at Home

Last posted Jun 16, 2014 at 01:05PM EDT. Added Apr 23, 2014 at 09:16PM EDT
336 posts from 30 users

So recently I've been missing you folks a little and thus decided to check around the forums before saying anything. To be perfectly honest though, I've been noticing a few things, namely:

1) It appears that there's a lot of new people around here, some of whom i'd probably like to meet
2) I haven't seen any particularly interesting forum games over the last ten months (that are really open to the public, anyways.) That's as many as four two-and-a-half's, and that's terrible
3) Y'all mutha****as need Jesus

Therefore, since I'm feeling concerned about the state of fun in these so-called "Just For Fun" Forums (but mainly since I need an excuse to get back in here,) I've decided that I'd try to bring back an old (but somewhat popular) classic from day's past:

KYM Mafia

Premise:

To give a summary as for the general course of action within this game, there are two phases, aptly named Night and Day. During the Night phase, the players given special roles (to be detailed shortly) send in their actions to the host (that's me) via PM, while everyone else mucks about/speculates/etc. After the actions have been sent in (or a set amount of time passes,) one player will be (potentially) killed off, and the game will shift over into the Day Phase. During this phase, all participating players cast their votes as for who they wish to kill off. Once all players have cast their votes (or a time limit passes,) one player will be killed off via majority vote or tiebreaker in the event of such, and the game rolls back into the Night Phase.

So basically, this game is pretty much like that other game 'Werewolf', although they clearly can't be the same thing because they have different names, right? shifty eyes

Roles:

Moving on, I will list and explain the roles available within this game, first by how they will be called within the game, and then by what they would be called in a default setting. Please note that roles will be selected by RNG, so do not try to call dibs or suck up to me via chat or pm. Keep in mind that it is highly beneficial to yourself (and for the health of the game) that you keep your role a secret.

Infiltrators (Mafia/Werewolves): If you are one of these people, then your goal is to kill off all the other players while avoiding death yourselves. During the Night Phase, you and your allies (those who are also infiltrators) work together as to decide who to kill off for that night, culminating in a unanimous decision relayed to me via PM or private chatroom(!). During the Day, you must blend in with the rest of the players as to avoid being voted out. If the current amount of remaining players sans remaining Infiltrators falls under the remaining number of Infiltrators due to either Phase of the game, then the Infiltrators automatically win. There are 7 Infiltrators within this session.

The Mole (1): This guy’s decided to join forces with the Infiltrators in bringing down the mafia empire. Why, you might ask? Nobody knows for sure. Some say it was for money. Some say it was for power. Some even say that he just wants to watch the world burn…
This role functions in the same fashion as The Don (PM me a person you want to investigate,) only he will be able to relay this information with the Infiltrators for the purpose of guiding elimination decisions and whatnot.

Keep in mind that The Mole, while sided with the Infiltrators, isn’t one himself. What this means is that his death is not necessary for the Mafia/Villagers to win, nor does he count for the Infiltrator’s Win condition (Mafia/Villagers < Infiltrators).

TL;DR: Investigate people, tell Infiltrators, if they win, you win, vice versa.

The Don (Sheriff) (1): The Don knows his men well and can tell a phony from the real deal. Unfortunately, his age and experiences have led to more than a few memory issues. During the Night Phase, The Don will attempt to identify a person by sending me a PM containing the name of the player (one per night) that they wish to learn about. I will then respond to him with the role that the investigated player holds (also via PM, mind you), which they can then use at their discretion.

Patches (The Doctor) (1): As the title implies, This guy's job is to save people, or at least try to. During the Night Phase, Patches will PM me with the name of the person that he wishes to save. i> If that person has been targeted by the Infiltrators, then they will not be killed off. However, Patches cannot choose to save himself, as he's not qualified for those kinds of medical procedures, thus making him a guaranteed kill if the Infiltrators manage to pick him out from the rest.

Lefty & Righty (The Investigators) (2): These lovable losers are The Don's chiefs in command and have been tasked with finding out who – or what – has been behind all the recent murders. They aren't exactly the best at what they do, but they manage to find something at least once in a while. That being said, every two Night Phases, these roles will receive a somewhat vague hint with which they can use to attempt to determine the identities of the Infiltrators. Other than that they are glorified:

Mafia (Villagers (Everyone else): You guys are trying to kill all of the Infiltrators, although you do not have many tools to do so. During the Day Phase, you (and everyone else) discuss and subsequently vote on which player you want killed. Not that much can really be said about this role…

Rules
As hectic as this game may (or may not) get, some basis points and clarifications need to be established, namely:

1) If a Phase exceeds a set period of time between 36-60 hours (TBD, flexible) without all votes/PMs having been received, then
a) Night: If The Don/Patches do not submit, then their actions are forfeit for that phase. If the Infiltrators do not submit, then nobody dies.
b) Day: All unprovided votes are excluded and the player with the most given votes against them (or the 'winner' of the tiebreaker if such is the case) is killed.

2) When you have been killed, then your role will be revealed and you will have a 'grace period' of either two-five posts or one day phase (TBD, if we could get a strawpoll or public opinion for this as well, it'd be appreciated) with which you can reveal all the information that you have gathered or just s***post, after which you will be asked to refrain from performing game-related activities within the thread(!). Watching and casual conversation are allowed, as long as no spoilers are provided.

3) Off-the-record activities (such as PMs between users) are allowed and encouraged, as long as they remain as such. I've seen more than enough of these get ruined through people bluffing each other out.

4) If all Infiltrators have been killed, then the VIllagers/Mafia win. If the current Villager count dips below/equals the current Infiltrator Count, then they will win

5) On Voting/PMing me for Special actions, please bold the name of the player you are voting against. If you change your mind later on, remember to bold their name, or I will not count it.

Signups shall conclude a week from when this was posted (Wednesday April 30, (9:00 PM EST) or 24 hours after enough people have signed up.

Last edited Apr 27, 2014 at 03:16PM EDT
I’ve seen more than enough of these get ruined through people bluffing each other out.

Are you saying I'm not allowed to bluff anymore? Haha.

Welcome back, Slappy. Also:

I haven’t seen any particularly interesting forum games over the last ten months

I should ban you for not praising the revival of my hangman thread. Haha

Also, I'm in, sure, why not.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I’ve seen more than enough of these get ruined through people bluffing each other out.

Are you saying I'm not allowed to bluff anymore? Haha.

Welcome back, Slappy. Also:

I haven’t seen any particularly interesting forum games over the last ten months

I should ban you for not praising the revival of my hangman thread. Haha

Also, I'm in, sure, why not.

Oh, sorry about that.

I mean if you guys want to try to bluff and all, you could. I just don't want it turning into people doctoring PMs and slapping them everywhere like that one time.

Also, I did say 'that are currently available to the public' in that statement, didn't I?

♥ Slappy. How have you been, dude? ofc I want in on this.

EDIT: Infiltrator votes should count if the Infiltrator:Mafia is balanced properly.

EDITEDIT: super aboose

Last edited Apr 24, 2014 at 01:51AM EDT

Due to the slowdown of registrations, the game will now be set to begin on Saturday April 26, 2014 @ 9:00 PM EST. Make your time.

In the meantime, a new strawpoll is up for
How many Infiltrators there will be at game's start

Additionally, there a distinct amount of votes calling for a post limit during Grace Periods, with 12-24 hours following behind it. As such, for the sake of reducing exploitation, Grace Periods shall be set to 5 game-related posts within a 24 hour period from death (you can still do whatever you want in between/after the limit depending on the circumstances).

If there are any objections to be had, feel free to contact me directly (I'm kinda lonely).

@BSoD

Current List:

Le Choco Taco
Muffinlicious
Captain Yoshikage J Kira
Mr. Stalker
CrowTheMagician
HolyCrapItsBob
Mandl Brought
Weasel
Markhaox14
Madcat
Greninja
Dr. Robotnik
GaryTheStormtrooper
Chowzburgerz
Verbose
BSoD
Kebab Removal Unit
Alex Mercer
Algernon
Third Creature of Fire
Laika Law
Mike
A stick made of fish
RandomMan
Disturbed Bait
Hoovy The Great Hat Vendor
Ray Cyst
Level4outbreak

Current Total: 28

Based on this information, what may you recommend the Infiltrator Count to be?

Oh god I got distracted ;n_n

Registrations are now closed, Game will commence at the end of this post.

There will be 5 Infiltrators out of 29 Players

Role Randomization is now in Process, if you do not receive a PM within the next half hour, then you are a Villager (Mafia, w/e)

Night Phase, Day 1. 48 Hours Remain

Edit: Role Randomization has now been concluded and PMs have been sent.

Last edited Apr 26, 2014 at 10:15PM EDT

I'm calling it right now that the Mafia wins. It's statistically impossible for infiltrators to win with 5 people, given that they have no special roles to smoke out the Mafia's special roles. Mafia leaders would have to sabotage themselves to lose. Should've had at least 8 infiltrators.

EDIT: Here are stats for a similar game: https://gist.github.com/nyuszika7h/5e7c3fe1ead713328cb8

Unlike this game, though, wolves actually have roles to find out who village special roles are. Oh and they have 6 wolves at 20 players. But they still- well, look at the stats.

Last edited Apr 27, 2014 at 12:39AM EDT

madcat wrote:

I'm calling it right now that the Mafia wins. It's statistically impossible for infiltrators to win with 5 people, given that they have no special roles to smoke out the Mafia's special roles. Mafia leaders would have to sabotage themselves to lose. Should've had at least 8 infiltrators.

EDIT: Here are stats for a similar game: https://gist.github.com/nyuszika7h/5e7c3fe1ead713328cb8

Unlike this game, though, wolves actually have roles to find out who village special roles are. Oh and they have 6 wolves at 20 players. But they still- well, look at the stats.

So are you suggesting that I add some additional Infiltrators and/or a new special role?

It's still possible to accomplish, but I'm only really willing to implement it if the public outcry is great enough. Otherwise we'll keep going at the rate we have.

Slappy The Fish wrote:

So are you suggesting that I add some additional Infiltrators and/or a new special role?

It's still possible to accomplish, but I'm only really willing to implement it if the public outcry is great enough. Otherwise we'll keep going at the rate we have.

StrawPoll?

Slappy The Fish wrote:

I'm just saying it might not be fun for infiltrators to play a game where the cards are stacked against them. If they don't care, then that's fine. But yeah, it just needs more balance.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!