Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Relics of the internet's past.

Last posted May 29, 2014 at 05:49PM EDT. Added May 13, 2014 at 01:09AM EDT
20 posts from 18 users

Any website, media, or form of internet technology that just disappeared.

Visiting them feels like you're found a lost ghost town from the past, and feels spooky.

Even back in 2007, the internet was a much different of a place. But going deeper, the horror awaits.

Just wait a few years. Popular MMOs will be empty, places full of creepy people, awaiting for unlucky web explorers.

It'll be like Worlds Chat (Is World's online still up?) all over again.

This topic is for:

-Creepy internet exploration stories

-Website URLs (mark if NSFW, or if it has a virus warning, just to be secure)

-And nostalgic web moments.

Last edited May 13, 2014 at 01:11AM EDT

256-color .GIFs

(Edit: I know GIFs Are like 256 color anyway, but I mean GIFs from the 256 bit color era, like windows 95-98 and all that)

I have a folder full of them from when I made my own webpages:

Last edited May 13, 2014 at 03:42AM EDT

Friendster.
Back when it was still big and used to mess around my friends accounts back in the day. These days it's become a web gaming site filled with people from thailand for some reason.

Onemanga.com
Before its manga library was taken down, it was the number one destinations for all of my friends to read the latest manga fan translations. Not sure what happened to it now.

(someone is gonna punch me for this) the early days of 9gag, back when the community was small, and we tried our best for ACTUAL originality.

not sure what else, though. I never went further into the internet until 2012.

Stick RPG anyone? A couple months ago a picture of Stick RPG 2 was on the Video Game Logic gallery. Some users remembered it, some didn't even know there was a sequel. Mentioning this, any of you go on Armorgames, Kongregate, or Addictinggames to kill time? I spent the early parts of my internet travels there. Fun times, wasted hours back then.

Worlds Chat is still online and has a cult following along with its regulars. We should explore it someday.

In Activeworlds which is a virtual world made a couple months after Worlds Chat was created, if you go to AW ground zero, you can find stuff from the 90s including buildings created by users. It's still running to this day, though it doesn't have much of a cult following compared to Worlds Chat.

Ah, I remember Stick RPG and the long long awaited sequel. I used to adore Stickpage.com which is still around. I understand the fourms are a good place for people who want to get into animation. Speaking of flash there is albinoblacksheep which I remember was a lot of fun for watching stuff, when it was just a small list of animations. I would play a lot on Armor Games and Crazy Monkey Games in that past. Good times.

• Kuro5hin used to be a fairly active tech news site until the trolls got organized and posted crap until all the other contributors left.
  • Discordian and Subgenius references have almost disappeared from the web. They used to be all over the place.
  • Web rings. Member sites would include Forward and Back links that would pass the current site ID to a CGI on the web ring's host that would redirect you to the next site in the ring.
Last edited May 14, 2014 at 03:27AM EDT

@Crouching sloth

Damn you, I was totally going to post the Space Jam website

That website is turning into a time capsule of 90's website design. Fascinating to look back at that and remember when every web page looked like it

@Topic

Anyone remember geocities?

Mawile wrote:

Worlds Chat is still online and has a cult following along with its regulars. We should explore it someday.

In Activeworlds which is a virtual world made a couple months after Worlds Chat was created, if you go to AW ground zero, you can find stuff from the 90s including buildings created by users. It's still running to this day, though it doesn't have much of a cult following compared to Worlds Chat.

What about Cofmeta in Activeworlds.

Nobody is ever there, and everything is broken/textures missing.

And the graphics look like they haven't advanced since 1998:

XGen Studios, AddictingGames, FreeOnlineGames, and various other Flash game portals that failed to integrate themselves with social networking sites. Ah, Stick Arena, I wish people would stop playing with God Mode.

. . .

BTW, Stick RPG 2 is out. It actually happened.

http://halo.bungie.net/
Bungie.net had a massive site update back in January 2013. They completely changed the layout. However, instead of updating the site, they made the updated version an entirely different site, with the old Bungie.net becoming halo.bungie.net. You can't sign in or anything anymore, you can only lurk through relics of the past.

The forums are quite literally dead, however, each thread has a link to the thread on the new site.

Last edited May 29, 2014 at 03:50PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!