Forums / Fun! / Forum Games

64,397 total conversations in 719 threads

+ New Thread

Community Building Project

Last posted Jul 18, 2014 at 02:49AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2014 at 02:27AM EDT
23 posts from 13 users

Hello most wonderful people. I've been trying to strengthen the bonds of the community and I've hit a wall with this one. I was thinking of some Forum games, and you know what.

What better way for the community play a game is for the community to come up with the ideas together.

My goal for this project is to freshen up the forum content a bit more, and have everyone participate in the brainstorming process. Just remember to play nice, and don't be afraid to state your opinion. Here on KYM we're family.

So put on those thinking caps. Let us make some new forum games!

Nice one Ann! The interactive threads like the Nations RP and the Mafia thread a couple weeks ago came out great. If we had more that engaged the community with more people involved that'd be actually fun.

The problem is these take time, and the writer and the players have to be patient. Unlike in "the user above you" threads or "add to" threads, you can't just hop in. But the idea is that people will enjoy it enough to stick around.

Last edited Jul 01, 2014 at 02:39AM EDT

well a while back i had this battle idea where your powers were based on your avatar but i didn't think it through enough (how were the battles suppose to take place) so instead i think it would work better as a king of the hill type game, where the users fight over an object or space.

What do you think?

TripleA9000 wrote:

well a while back i had this battle idea where your powers were based on your avatar but i didn't think it through enough (how were the battles suppose to take place) so instead i think it would work better as a king of the hill type game, where the users fight over an object or space.

What do you think?

Sounds fun, but it might be unbalanced? I do like king of the hill games, a little friendly competition between users to spicen the threads up.

madcat wrote:

I was thinking about rebooting the Mafia thread as Werewolf. Tons of inactivity in the last thread, though, so I'm not sure.

Most quit, became inactive, and didn't play in the first place even when they joined. Including me.

Someone told me they had an idea of a scavenger hunt. The way I would do it is for someone to create a list of things wanted to be looked for, and then have people search the database for pictures that are on the list. The only rule is that they have to be images that are on KYM.

Thats an idea I received earlier today.

Ann Hiro wrote:

Someone told me they had an idea of a scavenger hunt. The way I would do it is for someone to create a list of things wanted to be looked for, and then have people search the database for pictures that are on the list. The only rule is that they have to be images that are on KYM.

sounds like a good idea to me lets do it
add this to list, one of the comments written by lezhuarez

Last edited Jul 01, 2014 at 10:02PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like a REALLY good idea.

Gary wrote:

Most quit, became inactive, and didn't play in the first place even when they joined. Including me.

I died early, but my interest did wane after that anyway.

I think part of the problem was that the game was made too complicated with too many different roles and too much of a emphasis on writing (no offense to Slappy, but I think even he found it difficult to keep going.)

If Mafia is to be rebooted, then it probably needs to be simple and to the point in the first few games until it's well-established. Then get people involved with more roles and an actual setting.

Verbose wrote:

I died early, but my interest did wane after that anyway.

I think part of the problem was that the game was made too complicated with too many different roles and too much of a emphasis on writing (no offense to Slappy, but I think even he found it difficult to keep going.)

If Mafia is to be rebooted, then it probably needs to be simple and to the point in the first few games until it's well-established. Then get people involved with more roles and an actual setting.

I agree with the part about the writing getting in the way of the game itself. I don't agree with getting rid of the roles; the roles are for balance. Anyway, I think I'll start up a thread for it tomorrow.

madcat wrote:

I agree with the part about the writing getting in the way of the game itself. I don't agree with getting rid of the roles; the roles are for balance. Anyway, I think I'll start up a thread for it tomorrow.

Really? Sounds fun. Summer sounds promising.

I've kicked around the idea of rebooting a crossover arena RP that I had on another forum for a long time, but if I did, according to a few people I talked with, that kind of thing gets super unbalanced, especially if no one knows who anyone is. If I can figure out an adequate fighting system, however, where things are at least somewhat balanced and everyone has fun, I'll restart it for sure. Would anyone be interested in joining this if I made it?

Precious Roy wrote:

I've kicked around the idea of rebooting a crossover arena RP that I had on another forum for a long time, but if I did, according to a few people I talked with, that kind of thing gets super unbalanced, especially if no one knows who anyone is. If I can figure out an adequate fighting system, however, where things are at least somewhat balanced and everyone has fun, I'll restart it for sure. Would anyone be interested in joining this if I made it?

From past experience, doing that on KYM is generally a bad idea from a previous thread.

madcat wrote:

Curses, my plans have been foiled yet again!

I wrote a whole post describing how the game Telephone Pictionary works before I was reminded that Doodle or Die is basically the online version of the game.

Telephone Pictionary is pretty much my favorite party game, and I'd love to see what a chain of 10-20 KYM users could devolve an idea into, but does Doodle or Die support a specific group of people? I've never actually used the site myself.

Either way, something art-related like that could be a ton of fun if we combine good and bad drawers alike.

Done throwing away my PS2.
Let's do this, shall we?

So first, Verbose said that some games are too complex (most recently Werewolf and the Nations RP series) and Gary said he'd prefer games that needed the user to start playing at the very beginning of the thread (e.g.: KYM Spirit Week, although some users -- including myself -- slip in). They are pretty awesome, but since I can only play the ones that are much more easy to manage even on school days, flexibility is the only problem I wanted to talk about.

You see, no all of us is free enough to spend an hour or two just to play these MUD-style games. Take me for instance. I have school from Monday thru Saturday, and on every recess I'll try meeting you guys and play a bit and that recess only lasts for 30 minutes. Discount the time I needed to go for a snack and a bathroom break and you'll know why.

So you see, making too much games that can't be simply jumped into at any given time or taking hours to do a post isn't going to attract many users, and in extreme cases causes the entire, might-be-fun-to-play game to run down the drain. Thus we should create some games that is easy to pick up and play, like Flappy Bird, 2048, Angry Birds or Temple Run, well with much, much more words and memes.

EDIT: Some formatting issues.

Last edited Jul 05, 2014 at 07:29AM EDT

I think more community video games. Things like a Minecraft or Terraria server or really any game enough people in the community have (even better if they are free games so everyone join).

Also on IRC we have played Board Game Online and Cards Against Humanity and that seems to go well.

Last edited Jul 05, 2014 at 08:52AM EDT

I had an Nations RP Idea where all players are running the same nation together that I called "house of cards" (for fans of the show.).Players would be representatives of the government and pass and vote on laws created by each other.They would help solve problems both internationally and domestically. Everything is still a work in progress but I would love to hear your opinions on this idea.

Now that This has been moved to Forum Games, I'm guessing people will see this now.
Anyway I haven't had a good thought on a forum game yet, but I really hope we all come together and make something good.

Spider-Byte wrote:

I think more community video games. Things like a Minecraft or Terraria server or really any game enough people in the community have (even better if they are free games so everyone join).

Also on IRC we have played Board Game Online and Cards Against Humanity and that seems to go well.

I might actually be willing to start up a Terraria server for KYM, but the problem is getting enough people interested to join…

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!