Forums / Fun! / Forum Games

64,397 total conversations in 719 threads

+ New Thread

Werewolf

Last posted Jul 11, 2014 at 06:27AM EDT. Added Jul 02, 2014 at 02:45PM EDT
152 posts from 17 users

Okay, let's try this again. This game is similar to Mafia; the major differences are the names of the roles and the theme. Also, all of the rules I'm about post are shamelessly ripped from here. If you're ever on freenode, go join their channel. It's good fun.

Rules:

There are two teams: The werewolves and the villagers, both of whom attempt to kill each other. The game ends when the villagers have found all wolves or when the werewolves equal or outnumber the number of alive villagers.

Whereas the werewolves are aware of their fellows, the villagers are unaware of others' roles and must figure out these either by guessing or through the use of special roles.

The game follows a cycle of two phases: night and day. The game starts with a night, which lasts up to 24 hours or when all night specials have acted. During the night, the werewolves pick a victim, and the other special roles use their abilities. When nighttime ends, the village is informed of the victim and other deaths. Day lasts up to 24 hours, as well, or when a majority votes to lynch one player. Day is also when the detective role and the gunner can use their special abilities.

When a majority has been reached, the target is killed and the village is informed of their actual role. The game enters another night phase if there are werewolves remaining. The game ends if all wolves have been killed or if the wolves are equal to or outnumber the remaining villagers.

Safe Roles:

Seer: The seer chooses someone to see at night. This will reveal their role. Werewolves and werecrows will be seen as a "wolf"; villagers, gunners, and the traitor will be seen as a "villager"; any other village role will be seen as what they are e.g. the drunk is seen as a drunk.

Cursed villager: The cursed villager is a normal villager who appears as a wolf to the seer. Anyone who is not a wolf, werecrow or seer (i.e. villagers, traitor and other special roles) can be the cursed.

Village drunk: The village drunk has no special powers, save being the sole drunk person in the game. As such, it can be assumed that the only drunk claim is the real drunk and therefore a safe.

Harlot: The harlot can escape a wolf attack by visiting another player each night. As the harlot dies if they visit a Werewolf, the harlot can prove players to not be Werewolves by visiting them. However, the harlot also dies if they visit the victim of the Werewolves. In most cases, the harlot should be the public safe and direct the village, as the wolves cannot directly kill them. Villagers should also make hints in the thread on the first night e.g. "Visiting X" to throw off the wolves.

Gunner: The gunner has the ability to shoot other players with silver bullets during daytime. The gunner usually has two bullets (three in large games), but village drunk-gunners have six. If the gunner shoots a werewolf, it will die. If the gunner shoots an innocent villager, the villager will be unable to vote that day and will also count towards the player tally. This means that the gunner should refrain from shooting if there is only one more villager than werewolves. There is also a small chance that the gunner accidentally headshots a villager, killing them; or accidentally kills themselves by exploding. If the wolves kill the gunner, they can steal one bullet from them and use it against the village. However, a wolf-gunner cannot kill another wolf, which means that a gunner who successfully kills a werewolf is always fullsafe.

Detective: The detective's role in the game is to investigate players during the day. Compared to the seer, the detective has the advantage of being able to detect the true roles of the traitor and cursed villager; however, they risk (2/5 chance) revealing themselves to the werewolves every time they investigate someone. The detective is an important asset to the village, which is why the guardian angel (if present) should almost always guard the detective.

Guardian angel: The Guardian angel is roughly the opposite of the harlot; rather than escaping attack, they protect other players. Guardian angels can still be killed by Werewolves in the normal way, as well as having a 50% chance of dying if they choose to guard a werewolf. Their true identity will not be revealed to the person they are guarding. The guardian angel will also die if the person they are guarding is targeted by a werewolf.

Werewolf Roles:

Wolf: The wolf forms the backbone of the wolfteam. One game can have up to four wolves; the wolves' special ability is to select a target at night and kill them. The wolves can discuss whom to kill, and the target with most votes will be killed.

Traitor: The traitor has an important role in that they appear to be a normal villager until all other werewolves have died. This ensures "half-safes" (i.e. people who are visited or seen while the traitor is alive) aren't completely safe as they could be a traitor. Whereas the seer sees the traitor as a villager, the traitor can still be cursed and therefore be seen as wolf. Also, the detective can find out the true role of a traitor.

Werecrow: The werecrow has two special abilities. Like the normal wolves, the werecrow can vote to kill a selected target. However, the werecrow has another, more important ability that they should use whenever applicable. The werecrow can observe players, finding out whether they have night roles or not. This means that the werecrow can find out if a player is seer, guardian angel, or harlot. The werecrow should always observe a player when there is one or more alive wolf. However, if all other wolves are dead, the werecrow should kill rather than observe. A seer sees a werecrow as a wolf, but a detective IDs them as a werecrow.

Okay, that's it. I swear. I know it sounds very technical, but it's fairly simple once we get started. Just post if you have any interest in joining. The joining will be cutoff once we reach 17 or once the joining slows down. If anyone wants to see any changes to things, namely the length of day/night phases, let me know.

Okay, I'm in!
I've played the card game Werewolf, but this is much more complicated.
But isn't it supposed to be that Werewolfs know who other Werewolfs are? Otherwise they might kill someone on their side.
Also, you can't choose a role right?
And can't the villagers debate with each other?

That's all the questions I have for now.

Ticklechap Crispybottom wrote:

Okay, I'm in!
I've played the card game Werewolf, but this is much more complicated.
But isn't it supposed to be that Werewolfs know who other Werewolfs are? Otherwise they might kill someone on their side.
Also, you can't choose a role right?
And can't the villagers debate with each other?

That's all the questions I have for now.

"Whereas the werewolves are aware of their fellows, the villagers are unaware of others’ roles and must figure out these either by guessing or through the use of special roles."

Roles are going to be randomized by me.

The villagers can debate during day and night about their course of action, via PM or in the thread, yes.

Well I'd like to join, but I've noticed an error that probably needs accounting for.

From Madcat: 'The guardian angel will also die if the person they are guarding is targeted by a werewolf.'

This sounds a lot different from what I'm reading in the official site's rules and quite honestly, makes the role seem rather undesirable. Is this intentional or an error in summation?

Last edited Jul 02, 2014 at 03:27PM EDT

Slappy The Fish wrote:

Well I'd like to join, but I've noticed an error that probably needs accounting for.

From Madcat: 'The guardian angel will also die if the person they are guarding is targeted by a werewolf.'

This sounds a lot different from what I'm reading in the official site's rules and quite honestly, makes the role seem rather undesirable. Is this intentional or an error in summation?

That's correct. The person they are guarding will live, but the guardian angel will die. In the channel ##werewolf, any games with the GA are incredibly unbalanced because the wolves can't get key targets, giving the safe roles an incredible advantage.

I'm still undecided on if I should join. The last game went really slow once most of the experienced players died, and people just let Bob and myself bring forward theories while they would just vote or be a mute.

So I'll wait with joining for now. I kinda like to see if the inexperienced players are able to run a game smoothly. In a past game, people like myself, Bob, Verbose, etc. once decided to not join a mafia game to see how it would go. It was the lamest and slowest mafia game we ever spectated, and I believe it died from inactivity.

RandomMan wrote:

I'm still undecided on if I should join. The last game went really slow once most of the experienced players died, and people just let Bob and myself bring forward theories while they would just vote or be a mute.

So I'll wait with joining for now. I kinda like to see if the inexperienced players are able to run a game smoothly. In a past game, people like myself, Bob, Verbose, etc. once decided to not join a mafia game to see how it would go. It was the lamest and slowest mafia game we ever spectated, and I believe it died from inactivity.

I'm not inexperienced. I'm just use to faster games that span one session. But you might as well join because even if the thread just becomes inactive you don't waste your time on it.

RandomMan wrote:

I'm trying to negate that by using 24-hour phases and not focusing on a story, so turns can come out quickly. But if you don't wanna join, oh well.

madcat wrote:

I'm trying to negate that by using 24-hour phases and not focusing on a story, so turns can come out quickly. But if you don't wanna join, oh well.

I'm waiting for now on what some other people will do.

Okey dokey, roles have been distributed. If you didn't receive a PM, sit back and relax, as you are an ordinary villager.

The night phase begins now. Roles that act during the night phase have 24 hours to do so.

EDIT EDIT: There are 3 wolves, 1 traitor, 1 werecrow, 1 seer, 1 gunner, 1 harlot, 1 detective, 1 cursed villager, and 1 drunk.

EDIT: Right, and a list of all the players.

Weasel

Alejandro

Mr. Stalker

Top Tier Smug

Spider-byte

Ticklechap Crispybottom

Falcon

Slappy

Muffinlicious

twistedmetalero

HolyCrapItsBob

Harshwhinny

CrowTheMagician

GaryTheStormTrooper

UnusedUsername

Last edited Jul 04, 2014 at 10:41PM EDT

Another thing I completely forgot about: when you're dead, you're dead. You're disallowed from posting in the thread.

The night ends, and the villagers investigate to find out the fate of one of their own. It turns out Top Tier Smug, the harlot, made the unfortunate mistake of staying home last night, and the wolves paid him a visit.

The Day Phase begins now. Roles that act during the day phase have 24 hours to do so, and the villagers have 24 hours to decide who to lynch.

Unfortunately, try as I might, I couldn't find a connection between the murder and the players.

The only connection is that Mr. Stalker is on his friend's list.

As flimsy as that is, we need to make the first move in order to get this game started.

I say we vote for Mr. Stalker.

I couldn't find any link between the murder other then the friendship, even though I doubt it plays any factor. I think we just have to take a stab in the dark.

I agree that we should vote Mr. Stalker. Lets hope for a good start and try get one werewolf down.

The villagers drag Mr. Stalker away. They wait for his true form to be revealed, but it is discovered that he was a villager.

The night phase begins now. Roles that act during the night phase have 24 hours to do so.

Players:

Weasel

Alejandro

Mr. Stalker, a villager

Top Tier Smug, the harlot

Spider-byte

Ticklechap Crispybottom

Falcon

Slappy

Muffinlicious

twistedmetalero

HolyCrapItsBob

Harshwhinny

CrowTheMagician

GaryTheStormTrooper

UnusedUsername

The night ends, and the villagers investigate to find out the fate of one of their own. They find the dead body of Weasel, the detective.

The Day Phase begins now. Roles that act during the day phase have 24 hours to do so, and the villagers have 24 hours to decide who to lynch.

Gary wrote:

Well this is bad, it's nearly impossible to determind the killers from solely the thread, and now the detective, dead.

We still have a seer don't we? I think that might be our only method of determining the wolves now.

Spider-Byte wrote:

We still have a seer don't we? I think that might be our only method of determining the wolves now.

Does s/he post in the thread?

Spider-Byte wrote:

It's their choice. Then they run the risk of being attacked though.

Right, and it's even more difficult with the cursed villager and other special roles. Apparently Ticklechap Crispybottom is the drunk, according to him.

There are a few people who aren't being all that active with the public votes, so how about we try one of them?

I say we just go alphabetically and try.. Alejandro

Last edited Jul 08, 2014 at 12:54AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!