Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,687 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

The KnowYourMeme Team Dwarf Fortress Vacation Dream:Episode 1:The Portentous Realm

Last posted Feb 06, 2015 at 07:01PM EST. Added Jan 25, 2015 at 07:20PM EST
56 posts from 21 users

Being inspried by new meme island, and the KYM life, I want to do a similar concept using this game that will bring a different kind of fun!* to our virtual lifes.

This is the start of an adventure that will bring to the portentous realm a dwarf fortress that will become wealthy, thriving, and fun!!*

And anyone who wants to join can become a dwarf that's a productive member of a fun* society that will always be above any group of smelly arrogant tree-huggers elfs.

*Overdose of fun in dwarf fortress could case disasters such as Goblin Raids, Raging Tantrum Spirals, Manga Floods and other Hidden Fun Stuff, and may result in dwarven deaths by Laceration, Evisceration, and Incineration.

All that's required to join in the game is gender and a reasonbly short username to name a dwarf after you, But if you desire;I'll mod the dwarf to have ability scores and personality with based on you and give the dwarf a job of your preference, just ask me and I'll post the details.

After I form the party, I'll start playing and I will post the going ons of the game, screenshots of the fortress, and shiping charts of our dwarven-selfs.

Since I'm a novice in this game who knows just enough to get things going, good advice on how to run the fortress and information about how to adjust the dwarfs further in this version of the game (I've yet to find out how the adjust other things like beliefs and sexuality) from someone with more experience playing it will be appreciated.

Dwarven settlers wanted to establish new Fortress, The first seven will be sent as the Initial party and other dwarfs will arrive in immigration waves later.

Training will be given based on fortress needs and desired job area of the trainee.

Resources

• Mining
  • Lumberdwarfs

Constructions and Crafts

• Masonry
  • Carpententy
  • Mechanics
  • Architecture

Industry

• Metalsmithing
  • Jewlery
  • Cratfsdwarf
  • Broker

Food and Alcohol

• Fishing
  • Farming
  • Brewery
  • Cooking

Military and Healthcare

• Doctor
  • Soldier
Last edited Jan 25, 2015 at 07:21PM EST

It may look cryptic at first but don't fear for reading it isn't as hard as it may seem.
In general, the bule waves are the ocean, green tiles are grasslands, gray tiles are mountains, the red, yellow, and white tiles you see are deserts, and the blue omega symbols (Ω) represent our mountain and blazing hot homeland, The Scorching Doors.

Our mission is to move towards the mountain in the north-west:The Barb of Tapering, of which is only inhabitats as of nor are other settlements from our dwarven neighbors directly east of our homeland:The Pink Gold. This will be a long venture, but if our beliefs prove ture:There will be much Wealth to gain from these. The yellow X south of the Barb of Tapering is where we will Embark.

I will begin preparing for the journey.

Last edited Jan 25, 2015 at 08:53PM EST

I've got the wagon loaded and the team ready, though in order to get all the jobs I needed I had to give everyone two jobs, some similar what they wanted.

Notsocool – Grower and Broker
Spider-Byte – Weaponsmith and Armorsmith
Lemming – Carpenter and Architect
Scrublord – Miner/Woodcutter and Brewer
Original – Mason and Mechanic
Inferno – Miner and Soldier
Pollux – Recordkeeper and Doctor

If the people in this team are alright with this, I'm ready when you are.

You have arrive. After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended. Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of Othbemlimul. There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow or hook, provide for your dwarves. You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the leopards get hungry.

A new chapter of dwarven history begins here…

So how is it like at Lancesword?

It's definitely not scorching with "_all this snow here.":http://i.imgur.com/8pWpnlW.png

Well, here's the map of our new home.

The Yellow X is where we are at the moment, the light blue is fozen water, the gray is up hill, and the punctuations are where the trees are.

So do you think we should start dig the entrance into the hill or into the ground?

Last edited Jan 26, 2015 at 12:06AM EST

NottaWotta wrote:

You have arrive. After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended. Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of Othbemlimul. There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow or hook, provide for your dwarves. You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the leopards get hungry.

A new chapter of dwarven history begins here…

So how is it like at Lancesword?

It's definitely not scorching with "_all this snow here.":http://i.imgur.com/8pWpnlW.png

Well, here's the map of our new home.

The Yellow X is where we are at the moment, the light blue is fozen water, the gray is up hill, and the punctuations are where the trees are.

So do you think we should start dig the entrance into the hill or into the ground?

The hill seems safer.

Last edited Jan 26, 2015 at 12:24AM EST

All of it literally melted in the minute I (unpaused and) told inferno to start digging out the fortress, revealing black sand on the ground. Very strange…

I will make more progess in the fortress and explain the rooms here next morning.

I apologise for not updating earlier like I said yesterday, but I can now update that it is now summer in Lancesword and show the progress since spring.

Here I'll show screenshots of the fortress in the default visuals and a alternative and less cryptic option;The Mayday Tileset, to show the game in more representative tiles for your viewing pleasure.

If you all want, I'll show the screenshots in just this tileset or alternate between the tilesets I have to see what looks best.

On the ground level, The room closest to the outside is the trade depot where caravans will visit us to discuss and make trades with us, The room north of it is the staircase leading to the rest of the fortress, And the sizeable room north to the staircase is our stockpile;which acts as our general storage area.

On the 1st level, You'll see our living quarters, dining/meeting area, where the kitchen will be and food storage north of the staircase, And the workshops, brewery and farm south of it.

Me, Lemming, and Original will be doing most of our early work here, They're still building the necessary furniture to complete the living area but I should've grown more plants to make our dwarven wine by now but I was too focused on telling everyone else what to do that wasn't until late spring I planted what's in the farm now.

The food and drinks we bought with us should last long enough for us to get more oursleves, But alcohol shortage is not a good thing (I kinda forgot to previously mention that all dwarfs are alcohol dependent.)

• 1. No working farmer = No plants to brew
  • 2. No brewing = No booze
  • 3. No booze = Depression of Energry and Happiness
  • 4. Everyone must drink water from the nearby lake
  • 5. ????

Let's hope I won't be lazy enough to let that happen.

There isn't much on the 2nd level, south of the stair case is where our metalsmithing area will be finished, north of the staircase is where I ordered Scrublord and Inferno to mine out another room, where there will be more living space for other dwarfs once they migrate here.

Once we get things going, Spider-Byte will do important work here to begin our metal industery, until we finish it though the most he'll do is haul our stuff from one place along with pollux like they'reboth commons, don't worry guys, your place of great importance will be some time soon.

The levels below this point at the time being is the staircase going down where our first minerals are being mined, Scrublord and Inferno are down there mining out stone, gems, and iron for us to use, I'll post screenshots from down there once they find something more interesting.

From here on, I will post progress of the fortress at the least one season everynight, maybe two if I have the time but tormorrow we'll hopefully see our first migration wave, how many will arrive though I can only guess.

Last edited Jan 27, 2015 at 01:15AM EST

The First Immigration wave has arrived, I've gotten most of everyone from this thread in the fortress now, while I wasn't able to give everyone that job title they wanted, I assure you will all be useful here, I will expand the fortress and show it to you at the start of lancesword's next autumn.

It also didn't occur to me that we haven't named our animals yet, I'll allow you guys to name them.

We have two male gods, a male cat, and a ram while all the others are female.
I will accept one name each from everyone here, this should be fun.

Last edited Jan 28, 2015 at 02:21AM EST

Updating that it's autumn now, and things are running smoothly.

After checking how my dwarfs feel about living in LanceSword, I made this list of what they like and don't like.

• Everyone has there own bed and bedroom
  • Well made furniture for everyone's use
  • Literally everyone has been satisfied at working here (expect pollux, not enough doctoring laterly?)

Dislikes:

• Not enough dinning tables
  • Annoying rain that passed by a while ago
  • The smell of death that has been coming from the kitchen recently

A while ago, I asked Girlie to make some meals with the food we have and to my Surprise:Miasma! The smell of death was filling the kitchen and neighboring doorways. I'm not sure if it was fish that wasn't cleaned soon enough or rotting meat from the wagon we brought at the start of this fortress 9 months ago, but something is going on here.

And another thing is that I check with pollux who was keeping tabs on our stock and according to the accurate records I'm forcing making him do: While we have enough drinks to last, We're running low on food.
(No wonder he hasn't been satisfied doing his work lately, atleast all of the furniture Original and Lemming have been making are really nice. >_>)

If we don't have enough fish to eat, we're going to have to do the good-old Hunt & Gather and/or make enough stuff to trade for food when the next caravan comes here.

• Gathering would be simply but inefficient at first because no one is trained at gathering plants so far. And while I have seen game walking outside the fortress, Hunting would need weapons, light armor, and very careful management so there won't be miasma coming from the wrong body.

Trading however seems more promising, We already have a really good pair of crafters: our mason and carpenter, our metal smith is finally at work, and I have someone start crafting with stone.

• If we make enough stuff, get it to the trade depot before the traders come here and make a deal and nothing goes wrong, we'll have more food to eat and be able to keep working at expanding our fortress to prepare for a deep mining operation to become rich!!

Either or both ways, My dwarves need me here and now if we are to keep alive. (Yay, I'm being a useful leader right now)

Last edited Jan 29, 2015 at 02:45PM EST

Well, here's how the fortress looks as of autumn.

• Gate to be built in the doorway between the staircase and the hall to the outdoors
  • Furniture storage between the Dinning Hall and Workstations
  • Fishery between the Kitchen and the Brewery with airlock two door entry
    I'm gonna have to move the kichen entry though the fishery so the Miasma won't flood out if that happends again.
  • Forge and smelters for spider-byte to do some metalsmithing
  • Enough bedrooms for everyone
  • 2nd dinning hall in the making
  • A Large Abundance of Claystone
  • Planned-To-Be-Mined Magnetite (Iron Ore)
  • Kaolnite (A Magna-Safe Economic-Stones)
  • Single block of Clear Tourmaline (Gem)
  • Offscreen, Unmined Schist (Gems)

I have never had a problem with miasma ever. Probably because I keep all my animal processing workshops -- butcher's workshops, tanneries, and fisheries -- outside.

(Apologies for the delay, after losing half a season of progess for a stupid reason, busy doing stuff outside and playing through two season, I hope I can make up for it and that this update will be worth the weight)

It's been a year since Lancesword was settled, it's now Spring of Year 27 in the 1st Centery. After immigrants from last summer and autumn, I'm now a leader of twenty other dwarves, making for a population 21.

I'll update on the important events that's happend since summer, and then I'll show the present layout of the fortress shortly afterwords.

• Firstly, A dwarven caravan arrived at lancesword but while I was able to make an agreement on what they'll bring next time, I failed to make any import trade with them.

Reason one is because I ordered to much stuff to bring to the trade depot that I might have traded, and Reason two was because by the time the haulers were done, the caravan was almost ready to leave and I just couldn't stop myself from taking care of the farm plots, I Tired! I probably should have let someone else do the farming and maybe make someone a tempory manger so I could be free to trade, but the caravan left and it wasn't too soon to before winter was coming.

I wouldn't want to admit it to anyone here but… I was freaking out when the carvan left, I suddenly felt desperate and I wanted so bad to change what was already done my emotions put a delay to my duty as a leader, but to our luck we were able to survive winter on just aumtumn fish and plant goods we gather outside, whatever respect I didn't feel for fisherdwarfs I have now thanks to Girlie, Plock and Ricther.

This was just a embarrassing mistake and I'm grateful it wasn't a fatal one. Because really, mistakes like just a part of life after all, but I can't afford to fail my dwafves when there's more to the risk then my pride.

• Secondly, at last spring Inferno commented on his title of "Militia Captain," the thing was well… There wasn't any actual Militia at the time I gave it to him, I just did it just incase there was a sudden attack and because he was the only dwarf with combat training, I gave him the job to attack if it was needed,

Fortunately the second immigrantion wave brought in enough willing dwaves to actually form a squad, so I had him retired from a very experienced miner to commander of the military sqaud "The Creative Apes." I asked him why he named it so and he told me that he and the others were going through words at random for name ideas and the creative apes sounded good.

Here they are doing combat training in the barracks, where they will ready their skills for when the time comes to hunt for game and defend our fortress.

Inferno told me he might rename the sqaud later if they come up with a better name, well I'll allow them to have whatever name they want, after all it's not going to be me that will be the running towards danger when a fateful day lays upon lancesword.

• Thirdly, one day at autumn I check on spider-byte to see how he's doing making the weapons and armor for our new sqaud, and at the time of which I told told him to make a simple iron helmet, he was furiously working as if his very life depended on it!

I tired to ask if he just had an agurement with lemming since I knew they had a grudge against each other for some reason but he wouldn't talked to me! I simply didn't knew what the matter was with him, not just that, but he was spending day and night to get this helmet done like this was the most important thing he would make in all of his days as a blacksmith.

Later when he finally finished, he yelled for me, lemming, and Original to come done and see the helmet, and me being oblivious to what he was exicted about, to my shock:He created a masterpiece!

He made the helmet as a testament to show that he now had everything it took to become one of the best blacksmiths in the Portentous Realm. I could hardly beileve that after only a few months of smithing he could forge something the had absolutely prefect symmetry!

While Original was likewise impressed, Lemming wouldn't admit it in front of him, but the both of them had been spend their months building very good furiture, some of the stuff they built that even had masterful crafting-ship as well, maybe they could one day build something that could stand next to byte's "Idzas Adilthabost"

Spider-Byte then told me that he was going to work his days trying to go even higher blacksmith, then I congratelated him and bid him good luck in his career to becoming a legendary blacksmith and told Original and Lemming to keep up the good work so they might one day be on the same level.

This is especially relevant because any dorf who creates an artifact instantly gets promoted to blackbelt in whatever skill he used to make the artifact as soon as he gets done.

Since the artifact in question is a helm, Spidey will be able to make bitchin' armor from now on. Not artifact-tier armor, but about as good as you can get without having another strange mood. Since we want an army, this is Very Good.

Last edited Feb 03, 2015 at 06:21PM EST

Lancesword as of the spring of 127.

You can see here that there is a new hallway in the ground level that goes around the stockpile room, so far I've set the hall with cage and stonetraps.

Don't worry about dwaves like us setting them off, because the design of these traps has a secert path that can be used to allow us dwarves to go though unharmed, and attack invaders since it's nearly impossible to find out path for the eyes of anyone else, especially a group of careless bloodlusting goblins.

My plan for our fortress defense is to close the gate to the stairway in the event of a attack, therfore forcing our enemies to go though a hall of traps if they intend to do harm, in the later months I will build fortified ballista cannons at the end of each of three longer hallways that're ahead of the zig-zaging ones.

You can see that the fortress has expanded here, I have also build a farmer's workshop and a loom so we'll be able to make new clothing using the "pig tail" plants in the farm, we just need enough pig tails.

Nothing much here expect a finished dinning hall, more rooms.

Here you can see that we have a new floor, there's the barracks you saw earlier, and I've also set up a hospital for our fortress doctor Pollux, and anydwarf that would need his help.

In a dwarf fortress there are only three crimes:
*Destroying buildings, toppling furniture, or harming other dwaves (Most often by tantrum episodes.)
* Murder or attempted murder of another Dwarf (I don't need to explain why that's fun bad.)
* Violating the mandate of a noble, such as exporting items under an export ban or failing a production mandate (both are incredibly very very serious felony)

The jail cells are build below to keep such inmoral dwarves from harming others until their done doing their time.

Here I show a hole that's been channeled out using two differnt floors (left is level 4, right is level 5.)

I plan to make a water reservoir that will use a tunnel that will soon connect to the river outside, I will use a lever and door to fill the reservoir and close the tunnel when it's full so that we may store water to make a well inside the fortress.

Injured dwarves cannot drink achool, so a safe source drinking water like this can make the difference bewteen life and death.

But I must be very *_very_*careful building this reservoir, From the research I did to prepere becoming the leader of a fortress, the amount of fortresses that have been destroyed by water floods are far greater then those destroyed by violent invaders, and it's a common fate of inexperienced dwafven leaders who don't aren't careful about building indoor wells.

I will not be one of those leaders, and I will build this water reseroir safely.

Here is one of the mining levels below, From now on such levels will use this design for us to easily find veins of useful stuff like ores and gem and dig into the walls when we're in need of more rooms
Last edited Feb 04, 2015 at 04:15PM EST

The Creative Apes is the best squad name ever.

Also, the fact that everything is going pretty smoothly so far is freaking me out. I'm waiting for some kinda disaster to happen…

(Knocks on wood)

Okay so a I'm gonna do a Mid-Spring update here since some big things happend.

Firstly:The Miners have found an underground cavern though digging the staircase down further,

From what little the miners saw of it, they reported that there were strange trees of mushrooms, fugi and spore and many gems down there, and that changes are we might find gold and magma down there as well.

But as of the present, the only path to the cavern is sealed up as to not allow fun danger to reach lancesword, and I plan to keep it sealed until I can get our fortress defenses up and ready for whatever could come up from there.

Secondly, to go a little OOC here:Crimea, Richter, and Fool. All Three of you…

• 1:Are female dwarves
  • 2:Are married to some of the other immigrate users (sorry I wasn't paying about that…)
  • 3:Have just become the mothers of the first three children of Lancesword, Congratulations!!

And here is a list of couple dwarves in Lancesword that I absolutely didn't tell you guys about eailer,

To reduce any emotional consequences of me not paying any attention to who I had just shipped (especially freelancer and honeytigger), don't take this any more seriously then you would with the crack-fueled relation-ship of the god of love and life of worlds dwarven and human:Shrek, and the most intense character from a childen's video game series about colorful furries, shad-Ow The h-Edge-hog.

• Fool and Plock are now the parents of a boy, His byname is Mengathel, Dwavish for "Lushring."
  • Crimea and NintenDylan are the parents of a girl, Her byname is Vutramaban, "Galeconstruct"
  • Ricther and Minty are the parents of another girl, Her byname is Ustuthzim, "Fencedcrest"
    There bynames are set, but their forename are still up for the parents to decide.
  • Freelancer is married to the women-dwarf-ifed banana Honeytigger, (apologies since banana is not a gender option in Dwarf Fortress, and neither is mayonnaise.)
    Also, the changes of you two having dwarven bananas for children are the same as elephant flying
  • Lastly, Yart is married to a women dwarf miner who is not named after someone in this thread.

Thirdly, the third immigrantion wave has reached Lancesword.

The fortress has pretty much double in population size, and it turns out the most of the dwarves from the third immigrantion are married.

I have ran out of users from this thread to base dwarves after, I'll see what I can do about it but now a little shipping could be useful to use here and there, and by little I meant to say nine different dwarf couples.

So I'll list out the bynames and marriage stauts of every dwarf in lancesword now, until then I'll see what I can do with our larger workforce now.

Single Users:
Captain Inferno Rakustmeng (TombLushed)
Carpenter Lemming Menguzol (LashOiled)
Farmer Notsocool Loloremgash (LetterRider)
Mason Original Dorennakas (DiamondEnjoy)
Doctor Pollux Athelaved (RingClobbered)
Experienced Badass Miner Scrublord Kelavuz (Metalmines)
Legendary Badass Armorer Spider-Byte Dakkip (Treenet)
Assisant Girlie Gamilneth (TrustCities)
Jewler Lord Rinulcatten (IntenseChannels)
Axedwarf Soldier Jellopy (StakeReign)

Married Users:
Farmer Crimea Cilobeshon (Roofgood) and NintenDylan Ibrukaban (Ashenconstruct)
Cratfsdwarf Fool Astiseth (Sabrequest) and Fisher Plock Thukkanathel (Amberring)
Fishery Worker Ricther Sazirrir (Bridgedear) and Minty Iridmonom (Rhythmicpapers)
Assisant Honeytigger (Bridgedear) and Axedwarf Soldier Freelancer Ebaloddom (Reveredcloisters)
Miner "Morul" Dorenunnos (Diamondhooves) and Axedwarf Soldier Yart Etolablel (Passbusts)

Single and Unnamed:
Blacksmiths men "Ezum" Tiristnir (Rimlands)
Farmer women "Id" Idendelth (Peddledpolish
Fishery worker women "Lor" Kologongith (Wheelsquid)
Hunter and crossbow wielding women "Thikut" Oslanlimul (Woundgold)

Married and Unnamed:

Assisant "Kogsak" Amerith (Yawnedlabors) and his wife "Geshud," who is not here in lacesword

Spear Wielder "Cog" Thoborshar (Griderwebs,) Fishery worker "Erith" Ilrallaltur (Treatycovered,) parents of their daughter "Rakust" Zokunkeskal (Siegeshot)

Fishery worker "Goden" Nishuvar (Tradelulls) and Fisher/Spear Wielder "Ablel" Erithrigoth (Laboredcrafted)

Woodcrafter:"Cog" Kolkastar (Wheelblock) and Ranger/Crossbow Wielder "Ineth" Vabokoil (Orbtested,) parents of their son "Tun" Onulas (Mirrorcave)

Trader/Sword Wielder "Asob" Fasherith (Parchedlabor), and Fishery Worker "Lokom" Sakrithlolor (Blazedletter)

Assisant "Mistem" Udilnefek (Lanternfancy) and Animal Trainer "Edzul" Amatis (Openedstake)

Butcher "Mebzuth" Lorsolam (Toolnations) and Assisant "Sarvesh" Shukarbomrek (Tallwhip)

Assisant "Thikut" Solozerib (Worshipgorges) and Axewielder "Led" Cogodad (Bootfeast)

Farmer "Tulon" Athellorbam (Ringstandards) and Butcher "Libash" Balthob (Tonegriders)

Animal Trainer "Zulban" Lirastatek (Torchbore) and Cook "Mosus" Ezumgusil (Hamecopper)

Last edited Feb 06, 2015 at 12:02AM EST

So wait, I get to name my kid? Oh boy what a burden, but I think I'm gonna have to go with River (Crimea and River, so clever I know).

Also, do you think you could switch back to the tile set? It's a lot easier to understand stuff when its not all in ASCII.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!