Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Favorite Bands That Aren't Mainstream

Last posted May 22, 2010 at 04:55PM EDT. Added May 19, 2010 at 10:34PM EDT
28 posts from 22 users

I'm fairly sure Passion Pit is fairly mainstream. I determined this watching a palm pre commercial, screaming at pitchfork reviews, and drukenly stumbling around the house for a few hours. Freaking scientific.

Last edited May 19, 2010 at 11:29PM EDT

Liking non mainstream things is too mainstream for me.

EDIT

Also whys the OP got negative karma, let me fix that..

Last edited May 20, 2010 at 09:50AM EDT

I like:
Animal Collective
Vampire Weekend
Passion Pit
Hot Chip
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
David Baaawiee
Grace Jones (Ok I'm getting a bit carried away here now)
And many more…
And come on, if you just listened to Lady Gaga on the radio she sounds just like any other thing on there, and nothing like her apparent inspiration Bowie.

I is proper hipster.

Last edited May 20, 2010 at 06:14PM EDT

Three, randomly selected, bands in my favorites folder in itunes, that, I suppose, depending on what circle of people you associate with,
OR
what taste you have
These MAY or may not be familiar to you

(indie cred defended)

Caribou

TOBACCO

Aloha

Last edited May 20, 2010 at 09:57PM EDT

Pretty much the most legit Acoustic/Indie band ever.

One of my fav songs by them

I'm not gay, but I'd probably bone both of them. That's how amazing Glen Hansard's voice is.

Last edited May 20, 2010 at 11:51PM EDT

Wow, some people who like music similar to me!? ON THE INTERENT!?! CAN IT BE!?

Well now, I have to say this is a pleasant surprise; alot of forums I'm on pretty much all the users are Metal heads.

Personally I listen to ANY type of music provided it sounds genuine and real…has some grit ya know? Over the top preppy (like, I dunno, corny western music) or overproduced/mass produced (like say, Boy Bands) are the only thing I don't touch.

Bands already mentioned that I enjoy:
-----------
Passion Pit
Hot Chip
Animal Collective
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
David Bowie
LCD Soundsystem
Anthony and the Johnstons (I should really be listening to more of them to be honest)
The Avalanches

Bands that haven't been mentioned that I enjoy
------------
Queens of the Stone Age
Republic of Loose (Really great Irish band that REALLY can't be held in any genre: Youtube them)
Bat for Lashes (Kinda of similar to La Roux, more soulful)
Girl-Talk (Gregg Gillis is the Lord and Master of the Mash-up)
Justice (They're unique, but you had to force a reference point thing somewhat Daft Punk)

They're literally hundreds more bands I like but I won't mention them all; I'm one of these guys who goes more from song to song than band to band.

Also, people should check out either Soma FM's Poptron (just google soma fm) or Donal Dineen's Small hours for some really amazing music (http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Donal-Dineen/DonalsArchive.aspx)

Non-mainstream? I just listen to almost anything. I'm very eclectic lol

Well I scrolled through my iTunes and I guess these would be a few of the bands that wouldn't be considered mainstream but I don't know. I just know that no one I know really listens to these guys:

Blood Red Shoes
Evergreen Terrace
Hadouken!
Halestorm
Neutral Milk Hotel
Pendulum
Sea Of Treachery
Street Sweeper Social Club
Zeromancer

There's many more non-mainstream I listen to I'm sure

Oh, and also Super Mash Bros. They got sick mash-ups, better than Girl Talk for me.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!