Okay, I’ve put some thought into how to make this run smoothly on the forums, and here’s the overview:
1. Just in case you don’t know how to play, remember to phrase your responses in the form of a question. If your response is not in the form of a question, it will be considered wrong.
Example: SIMPSONS DID IT for $100
|THEY DO NOTHING!|
Right: What are the goggles?
2. If you answer wrong, you get the value of the clue deducted from your score. Unlike on the TV show where contestants answer if they’re the first to click in, You get to answer if you’re the first one to post a question after the clue is given. Starting with the first responder, everyone who responds wrong loses points until somebody responds correctly. That person receives a positive score, and any answers following are ignored.
Example: SIMPSONS DID IT for $200
|THIS UNPOPULAR FRIEND OF BART MAY BE WELL-KNOWN, BUT HE IS STILL NOT ACCEPTED BY THE INTERNET COMMUNITY.|
Player1 : Who is Nelson? (Player1 loses $200)
Player2 : Who is Milhouse? (Player2 gains $200)
Player3 : Who is Smithers? (No effect on Player3’s score)
3. Spelling counts! I’ve tried to make the clues difficult enough that some people are probably going to have to use Google to find the right response, and since I certainly have no way of keeping you from using a search engine, you might as well make sure you got the spelling right. While not every response is a meme, all responses can be found on a confirmed KYM meme entry page. Note also that the response may not be the name of the meme, so read the clue carefully.
Example: SIMPSONS DID IT for $300
|THIS NEWSCASTER ECHOED A LINE FROM A CLASSIC SCI-FI MOVIE, LAUNCHING IT INTO MEME STATUS.|
Wrong: What is “I for one welcome our new insect overlords”?
Wrong: Who is Ken Brackman?
Right: Who is Kent Brockman?
4. Assume your response is correct, and request the next clue. This is really a procedural matter to keep the game moving. The person who answers correctly not only gets the points, but gets to choose where to move on the board. Rather than wait for me to tell you that you’ve gotten it correct, then wait for you to respond with your request for a new clue, then wait for me to post the new clue, I figure this reduces the turnaround time. Forum games like this move slow enough when you’re waiting for the person running the game to come back.
Example: SIMPSONS DID IT for $400
|BLAH BLAH BLAH THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH SOME MEME. I’M OUT OF EXAMPLES.|
What is a “Kang and Kodos 4-pane reaction comic”?
I’ll take “SIMPSONS” for $500.
5. Don’t edit your post; it will be disqualified. I won’t go into a full explanation of why; suffice it to say that by editing your posts, you could cheat. If you want to change your response, delete your post and type a new response. Also, if you realize you’ve answered wrong and I haven’t responded, you can delete it before I deduct points
Hopefully that makes everything clear, and not too complicated. I’ll post the game board and the first person to respond can choose which clue to begin the game.