Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

Other Subcultures

Last posted Jun 25, 2011 at 02:49AM EDT. Added Jun 20, 2011 at 09:54AM EDT
70 posts from 47 users

"In sociology, anthropology and cultural studies, a subculture is a group of people with a culture (whether distinct or hidden) which differentiates them from the larger culture to which they belong."
So I suppose that if the larger culture is the internet as a whole, then pretty much every website with a discussion board or a chat room has its own subculture. Almost every forum I've been to has its own in-jokes, personal memes, significant contributors, and mythology.

Get this: we do mini-entries on different subcultures. We could send out dispatches who are already pretty familiar with the subculture, someone who frequents a board on 4chan for example. That dispatch will document the mini-memes and interesting memetic variations, dig up some sauce, and we'll crank out an entry for it.

Remember that Pearltree Memechart I was working on a while back? Think along those lines. We need something detailing how memes are actually used in different environments.

I wanted to bring this up because of a couple of reasons. It seems like my understanding of what defines an internet subculture is that it produces memes. I'm thinking of Youtube for example. There is a distinct Youtube Subculture (x missed the like button, Justin Beiber Hate, Rebecca Black, etc.). 4 chan has several subcultures. Anime has another few subcultures. I sort of feel like there's a lot of reorganizing needed when it comes to how the website sets up the memes and stuff because we created the subculture, events and site categories. Things we used to dismiss that aren't memes now fall under a different category. In addition, some things are considered memes in certain subcultures that wouldn't be considered memes in the internet as a whole (TF2 Food Debate comes to mind).

You guys see where I'm going with this? Memes generally come from sources of different subcultures, and this might be a good project we need to work on.

Point of thread = to better document internet phenomena, memes, and cultures. The whole point of the site.

Last edited Jun 21, 2011 at 08:39PM EDT

The question of the thread would probably be better as, "Can anyone name subcultures that consistently produce memes?". Though I fail to see why this is needed, we've got the all the big ones covered really.

Jack Candle wrote:

Get this: we do mini-entries on different subcultures. We could send out dispatches who are already pretty familiar with the subculture, someone who frequents a board on 4chan for example. That dispatch will document the mini-memes and interesting memetic variations, dig up some sauce, and we'll crank out an entry for it.

Remember that Pearltree Memechart I was working on a while back? Think along those lines. We need something detailing how memes are actually used in different environments.

I'm liking this idea, but I doubt I'd be any help… I'm only in the FiM fandom right now and I'm kinda new to everything anyway. However, I do think this would be a great place to learn about the different cultures, memes, news, ect. that's going around the internets.

TL;DR FUND IT!!!!!

SaloLemato wrote:

I'm liking this idea, but I doubt I'd be any help… I'm only in the FiM fandom right now and I'm kinda new to everything anyway. However, I do think this would be a great place to learn about the different cultures, memes, news, ect. that's going around the internets.

TL;DR FUND IT!!!!!

I don't know if this site is the best place to do that, but we could definitely get a sister site running, or at least a sub-section on here. As it is, this place is pretty bumpin' as it is.

LOOK AT ME CONTRADICTING EVERYTHING

I'm surprised noone's mentioned any of the Garrysmodders. They have created a good many of the memes involving TF2 and the Left 4 Dead franchise. The Sourcemodders too, even. How could we ever forget things like R33MIX's Success, or Nope.avi? Although, this could just be coming from a user with his head in the tubes.

i agree on the whole mini personal meme thing. On one of the IRC chats i used to go on they had there own memes….like cat on the laptop,(Smoke on the water parody) and THREW IT ON THE GROUND!!! meme as well that i havent seen being used any where else. I dont go to the chat anymore though. I have my own IRC chat much smaller but still we have some of our own mini memes as well:)

Gaston Raveslikenoone! wrote:

I'm surprised noone's mentioned any of the Garrysmodders. They have created a good many of the memes involving TF2 and the Left 4 Dead franchise. The Sourcemodders too, even. How could we ever forget things like R33MIX's Success, or Nope.avi? Although, this could just be coming from a user with his head in the tubes.

Um about Gary's Mod… first post.

Wow, this sure wasn't quite what I was expecting when I posted this. I posted this because I was wondering why they created the subculture category if they were only going to give it to the MLP page. Clearly Gary's Mod, Youtube, and most of the ones mentioned here would be called subcultures. What I was thinking of more was what others have said earlier about how the pages need to be structured and organized by subculture. It wouldn't be too hard to find what goes where, considering we have to state where the meme came from in the first place. I was thinking this would be good because I hate sifting through hundreds of meme articles when I'm looking for something. If we placed all of them into their respective "subcultures", it would be easier to find articles.

Jordan six generations, store
http://shorl.com/bemehylyvype

HOT SELL Product Brand is below:
,nike shoes,air jordan shoes,nike s h o x shoes,gucci shoes ,true religion jeans, ed hardy jeans,coogi jeans,affliction jeans, Laguna Beach Jeans,ed hardy T-shirts,Coogi T-shirts,Christian Audigier T-shirts,Gucci T-shirts,Polo T-shirts,coach handbag,gucci handbag,prada handbag,chanel handbag .

free shipping

New to Hong Kong : Winter Dress

New era cap $9
Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33
Nike s h o x(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $33
Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $33
Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16
Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30
Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $12
Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $18

Come back tomorrow for another Daily Dose of Style! Bookmark this page >>

eioa8g9fa wrote:

Jordan six generations, store

HOT SELL Product Brand is below:
,nike shoes,air jordan shoes,nike s h o x shoes,gucci shoes ,true religion jeans, ed hardy jeans,coogi jeans,affliction jeans, Laguna Beach Jeans,ed hardy T-shirts,Coogi T-shirts,Christian Audigier T-shirts,Gucci T-shirts,Polo T-shirts,coach handbag,gucci handbag,prada handbag,chanel handbag .

free shipping

New to Hong Kong : Winter Dress

New era cap $9
Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33
Nike s h o x(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $33
Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $33
Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16
Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30
Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $12
Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $18

Come back tomorrow for another Daily Dose of Style! Bookmark this page >>

Speaking of this guy, spammers are a subculture.

Tomberry wrote:

You guys seem to be confusing websites and memehubs with "sub-cultures".

Most memehubs only produce so many memes because they are places of widespread, communal self-expression. I'd argue that, by that definition, all memehubs are subcultures, but not all subcultures are memehubs. Subcultures are a more broad definition. Look at KYM: it could be considered a subculture too; though it doesn't create memes so much as document them.

Hipsters seem to beget many memes while not creating them directly. Perhaps they warrant some form of article. Whoops, Christopher already beat me to it and I missed it. But it is worth noting that this is a rather unique case as the subculture itself is not the one creating the associated memes.

Last edited Jun 22, 2011 at 12:11PM EDT

Carbonnanotube wrote:

Most memehubs only produce so many memes because they are places of widespread, communal self-expression. I'd argue that, by that definition, all memehubs are subcultures, but not all subcultures are memehubs. Subcultures are a more broad definition. Look at KYM: it could be considered a subculture too; though it doesn't create memes so much as document them.

It tries to document them.

It is also part of the "paint by numbers"-type meme 'generation' phenomenon, whether it means to be or not.

KYM is as far as I know the source of the (funny) saying that such-and-such is "not a meme".

Wikipedia
Smash bros players, (Wombo combo anybody?)
more videogame subcultures: speed runners, shoot 'em up players, online Halo subculture

Chiptune also has a really nice subculture

Although yeah most subcultures don't produce memes that spread around(TvTropes does a good job at it)

Stuff related to Valve or Valve itself?

Garry's mod was originally made as a mod for Half-Life 2.
I also still find a lot of Portal related content on the internet.

Zeetheus wrote:

Homestuck maybe. They're very meme-savvy, but I guess most of their memes are too specific to the webcomic (got tiger, everyone is Lord English, buckets etc.)

Although I guess Pantskat is getting there.

I know, it is so sad how homestuck fans have so many memes, yet are more of community memes. AND WE DON'T HAVE A NAME. Bronies, Furries, Trekkies, Gmodders, Hipsters, 4channers, what are we? Homestuckers? Homies? We need a name before we become a meme…

Last edited Jun 22, 2011 at 05:53PM EDT

Ashley Rodriguez wrote:

We can be the KYM-ites :) well not that creative of a name but nor if "4channers" its just 4chan with an "er" lol .

Really, the only subculture with a creative name is Brony (Bro+Pony? Genious! Furry+Plural? uuuhhhh…) Maybe the KYMembers?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!