Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

DDoS/DoS attacks

Last posted Aug 08, 2011 at 03:01PM EDT. Added Aug 05, 2011 at 10:22PM EDT
8 posts from 8 users

This is a seriously widespread phenomenon on the internets, and I was shocked to find that we didn't have a page for it. I'm going to need your help to research this, though, as my knowledge at the moment is minimal. I don't want to go into this and end up looking like someone who has no idea what they're talking about(because I really don't). Also, I have NO idea what the category should be for this one. Any and all help would be dearly appreciated.

I don't think it's any of the categories.
DDoS and DoS(denial of service) is like HTML: part of the Internet but not part of Internet history.
While DoS and DDoS is popular among the Anon and LulzSec attacks, it's not specific at all.

Last edited Aug 05, 2011 at 11:23PM EDT

Although it wouldn't be that bad to have an entry on the history and usage of DDoSing, including its effect on current web culture. An entry or maybe a blog post.

Anyway, to learn more about Denial of Service attacks, go to its Wikipedia page to get some basic reading up on it. If you want to know more about its usage in recent hacks and operations, look up DDoS on our searchbar up at the top of the page.

It's not a meme, though. Internet events, yes, but we have some of the major attacks listed as events already, and I think that works fine.

I had been thinking about a Low Orbit Ion Cannon entry a few months ago. It might be difficult to justify a meme entry I suppose, but there has been significant chatter about it. I wouldn't be against having some sort of DDoS in Internet culture entry with a focus on things like the LOIC etc.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!