Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,658 total conversations in 3,364 threads

+ New Thread

Dubstep - Can it be considered a meme?

Last posted Aug 11, 2011 at 12:45PM EDT. Added Aug 10, 2011 at 08:02PM EDT
4 posts from 4 users

After some deep mediation on internet culture It appears that dubstep can easily be labeled as a meme. Mainly because, dubstep existed since 1998 ( according to Wikipedia, but at this time it wasn’t fully developed, took till about 2001 for the current style to form ) yet it has only started catching on recently and in mass ( as in, before you could find it in various frag videos but now it is hard to go a day without finding dubstep mentioned or used as background music ). With this given description it can be labeled as a fad and possibly meme status ( and also with the fad label my bets are on it dying out in a few months unless it can grow above fad status ). Anyone else care to add to the argument?

Aug 10, 2011 at 08:02PM EDT

hmmmm…. I think it’s popular on the internet and among internet communities, but so far, i think it’s safe to say that this is not a meme.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:51PM EDT

If you were to make a entry for it, I would recommend labeling it as a sub-culture.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:12AM EDT

Don created an entry for Dubstep Remix Videos a while ago, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be revisited. Especially now that we have categories to help us expand the content.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:45PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!