Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

25,226 total conversations in 3,448 threads

+ New Thread

Hetalia a meme?

Last posted Aug 20, 2011 at 05:31AM EDT. Added Aug 14, 2011 at 09:27PM EDT
14 posts from 11 users

Dose anybody think hetalia should be a meme? I think if homestruck is, hetalia should be. (i like both ;D) Hetalia already has created a couple confirmed memes (example-become one with mother russia) and i think itself, hetalia should be a meme. Anybody agree?

Aug 14, 2011 at 09:27PM EDT

Definitely a subculture. If you’re a fan, then that’s perfect, I was hoping one would turn up eventually. Heck, I’d say that it managed to go from webcomic to a hugely populat televised anime says a lot about it’s popularity.

Make it bro.

Aug 14, 2011 at 09:49PM EDT

I remember we have an entry for the ending theme and credits someplace. While you are at it, you could probably clean up that entry.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:19PM EDT

Yeah, add it to subcultures. It’s big enough.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:37PM EDT

Make anime a Sub-culture, and everthing below that a suber-sub-culture.

Aug 15, 2011 at 03:50PM EDT

Tetsu wrote:

Dose anybody think hetalia should be a meme? I think if homestruck is, hetalia should be. (i like both ;D) Hetalia already has created a couple confirmed memes (example-become one with mother russia) and i think itself, hetalia should be a meme. Anybody agree?

I see things differently.
We can now cover a wide range of sub-cultures that get massive online fame.
The thing is, we have independent entries for western animation because there aren’t as many.
For anime, on the other hand, so many of them got lot of coverage on the web since the beginning that we may need, actually, a sub-culture entry for “anime” in general.
I don’t think “Foehammer679, That Annoying Guy” wrote was a bad idea at all.

Hetalia, Yu-gi-oh, Gurren Lagann, DBZ, Naruto, all of them had/have their own impact on Internet.

Do we need a sub-culture entry for The Simpsons? Seinfeild? Family Guy? Star Wars? Star Trek?
Well, maybe…

Aug 16, 2011 at 08:30AM EDT

I have a lot of opinions on this but I would like to get more discussion from people more familiar with the series.

I think there is barely enough information out there to warrant a sub-culture entry if anything based on the fans because when you search for Hetalia, you see yaoi, lots of it. We have a few entries on individual Hetalia memes and that works for me, whoever takes this one on I would like to see go in depth on deviantArt trends and NicoNicoDouga trends as those appear to be the biggest contributors. This may not have as much traction outside of the anime realm like DBZ but it seems (in)famous enough within the realm to be worth mentioning.

As for a sub-culture entry on anime, it’s been discussed before and it is simply too broad a topic. If you managed to navigate the internet to find KYM, odds are you know what anime is.

Aug 16, 2011 at 03:49PM EDT

Yo Poochie, let’s do this thing. You create the page, I’ll help out with editing and stuff, and we’ll search for other people who have actually watched it to help out with it. I’ve contacted a fan of the show for advice, and they told me there is a lot more to it than yaoi. (Although there is a lot of that.)

I am 100% certain this deserves a page.

Aug 18, 2011 at 04:15PM EDT

Subculture would be correct. This anime is somewhat of a big talk lately (The website I visit often just got hit by this anime). Sadly I haven’t watch it so I won’t be able to help. >.<

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:25PM EDT

AJ Mazur wrote:

I have a lot of opinions on this but I would like to get more discussion from people more familiar with the series.

I think there is barely enough information out there to warrant a sub-culture entry if anything based on the fans because when you search for Hetalia, you see yaoi, lots of it. We have a few entries on individual Hetalia memes and that works for me, whoever takes this one on I would like to see go in depth on deviantArt trends and NicoNicoDouga trends as those appear to be the biggest contributors. This may not have as much traction outside of the anime realm like DBZ but it seems (in)famous enough within the realm to be worth mentioning.

As for a sub-culture entry on anime, it’s been discussed before and it is simply too broad a topic. If you managed to navigate the internet to find KYM, odds are you know what anime is.

If you managed to navigate the internet to find KYM, odd are also you know what hipsters, Dragon Ball and many other sub-cultures are then?
I wasn’t thinking about an entry explaining what anime is though, but more focusing on its impact on Internet from the beginning (fansubs, AMVs) to its constant use for memes and viral media.

Aug 19, 2011 at 09:44PM EDT

Tomberry wrote:

If you managed to navigate the internet to find KYM, odd are also you know what hipsters, Dragon Ball and many other sub-cultures are then?
I wasn’t thinking about an entry explaining what anime is though, but more focusing on its impact on Internet from the beginning (fansubs, AMVs) to its constant use for memes and viral media.

I think this is a problem exclusive to the anime subculture because there are so many aspects that are still individually way too broad to warrant entries. I mean we have an entry for AMVs already but when it comes down to it we need to discern what makes setting anime clips to music so different to any other footage set to music that makes it memetic. Arranging video segments to a soundtrack is nothing new. Now if we were to compare it to YTPMVs, we now see differences and unique distinctions in things like editing techniques and juxtapositions which are not used anywhere else and help them spread.

We might also want to consider that the internet impacted anime culture instead of the other way around. Fansubs predate the internet, but the internet has provided a more efficient way to create and distribute them.

Aug 20, 2011 at 05:31AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!