Greetings fellow researchers!
If you recall about a week ago, a user named Jess asked for help in making a chart that would categorize and catalogue popular and notable memes. I volunteered to help her with research, and choosing what memes and categories should be used on the chart. The final poster will categorize about a hundred or so memes, and is meant to be fun as well as informative.
We’ve come up with six categories so far:
1. Rage Comics (Rage Guy, Trollface, Me Gusta)
2. Advice Dog Spinoffs/ Advice Animals (Advice Dog, Philosoraptor, Scumbag Steve)
3. Viral Videos (Rebecca Black – Friday, Double Rainbow, Jessi Slughter)
4. LOLcats (Happy Cat, Longcat, Serious Cat)
5. Exploitables (Strutting Leo, Sad Keanu, Reaction Guys / Gaijin 4Koma)
6. Internet Slang (LOLspeak, 1337 speak, Fail)
Now we need your feedback. What categories should we add/drop? What memes should we include/exclude? Keep in mind, we’re looking for memes that have lasting power, so the examples should be popular, notable, and significant within the online community.