Forums / Discussion / General

168,561 total conversations in 5,399 threads

+ New Thread

The Battle of Olive Garden's Facebook Wall

Last posted Sep 19, 2011 at 12:35AM EDT. Added Sep 16, 2011 at 07:52PM EDT
21 posts from 12 users

I have been a long time viewer, but I am posting today because I have something to share.

It isn’t a meme as such (just yet), but it is a great example of internettery, and it involves memes, and it may quickly produce some memes. (I WILL NOT COW DOWN!)

So, here is a brief history of The Battle of Olive Garden’s Facebook Wall

1. Michelle Obama, as part of having a cause like all First Ladies must have a cause, has been fighting against childhood obesity.
2. Today, Darden’s Restaurant, which owns the unspectacular chain restaurants Olive Garden and Red Lobster, announced that they were making some slight menu alterations: one of which is that fruit would replace french fries as the default option as a side dish for children’s meals.
3. This minor menu change offended some conservatives, who started writing boycott threats on Olive Garden’s Facebook wall. Apparently, a restaurant chain changing a meal’s side dish is the first step in government control of our lives.
4. Partly for political reasons, and partly for the pure joy of trolling, many people on Facebook started to write increasingly overwrought comments about the imminent takeover of America’s dining habits by the nanny state, for the purposes of trolling. (Although which comments were trolls and which were serious complaints is somewhat hard to tell) Some of these comments were deleted, but many (for now) still remain.

The grandeur can be observed here:
http://www.facebook.com/OliveGarden?sk=wall

and, if The Olive Garden’s PR department starts cleaning up the wall, some of the greatest hits can be read here:

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2011/09/americas-wingnut-fatties-vent-anger-on-facebook-over-olive-garden-red-lobster-86ing-french-fries/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=americas-wingnut-fatties-vent-anger-on-facebook-over-olive-garden-red-lobster-86ing-french-fries#page/1

Enjoy the Magic!

Sep 16, 2011 at 07:52PM EDT

Hmm, if bra status updates can be considered a meme, this could be, too. Not that I’m saying it is, but we might want to keep a watch on it, if only for teh lulz.

Sep 16, 2011 at 09:11PM EDT

When does a tropical depression become a tropical storm? For every Hurricane Katrina, there was a dozen squalls of water in the Atlantic Ocean.

I think this has potential. Of course, I am biased, since I certainly took part in the festivities.

“WE WILL NOT COW DOWN

Sep 16, 2011 at 09:30PM EDT

Should this be moved to Meme Research?

Also, it’s quite hard to tell who are trolls and who are actual conservatards. Poe’s Law at its finest.

Last edited Sep 17, 2011 at 07:01PM EDT
Sep 17, 2011 at 06:59PM EDT

Perhaps it should. I don’t know if it counts as a meme. It is an internet phenomena, but that isn’t the same as a meme, is it?

Sep 17, 2011 at 07:06PM EDT

Dinner wrote:

What is Olive Garden?

You might not want to go. People eat your type there.

Sep 17, 2011 at 08:34PM EDT

The total mediocrity of Olive Garden is part of the humor. The conspiracy theory that Obama is using the health care law to strong arm a midrange suburban eatery into changing their menu is one of the most ludicrous conspiracy theories possible. It is what made this so lovely to troll. How can you troll someone who believes such a thing?

Unfortunately, a lot of the furor has died down, and many people have been banhammered from the page.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:39AM EDT

Nintendork64 wrote:

You might not want to go. People eat your type there.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Sep 18, 2011 at 04:53AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

Olive Garden is meh.

OLIVE GARDEN IS THE GREATEST EATERY ESTABLISHMENT IN THE HISTORY OF EATERY ESTABLISHMENTS, AND IF YOU CONTINUE TO RECKLESSLY DEMOTE THE ROYAL RESTAURANT OF AWE WORTHY CUISINE, THEN MAY THE CONFECTIONERY GODS RELEASE THEIR COFFERS OF FURY AND JUSTICE UPON THINE SOUL.

Sep 18, 2011 at 06:27PM EDT

Oh, dear RF…if you ever visit NY, please let me get you one decent dinner. You will never wish to return to the lesser OG…

Sep 18, 2011 at 06:58PM EDT

Mister J wrote:

OG the OG does not like OG.

Meh, I was just looking for a chance to hyperbolize. I assure you Olivia, I’ve been to better restaurants than Olive Garden, but you city folk should know how spoiled you are with all your fancy Bistros and what not.

Sep 18, 2011 at 08:34PM EDT

Piano wrote:

Meh, I was just looking for a chance to hyperbolize. I assure you Olivia, I’ve been to better restaurants than Olive Garden, but you city folk should know how spoiled you are with all your fancy Bistros and what not.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:23PM EDT

lol, moved this to meme research. I think the comments have waned over the weekend but yeah, worth keeping an eye over it. All internet fights or debates can be treated as event entries, as long as there’s sufficient evidence of spread & participation.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:35AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!