Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,408 total conversations in 3,331 threads

+ New Thread

M.U.G.E.N

Last posted Nov 03, 2011 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Sep 21, 2011 at 02:36AM EDT
32 posts from 11 users

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a meme, but I’ve seen it used to feature and contribute some memes, just like Miku Miku Dance (MMD), G-Mod, Meme Generator, Akinator, etc..

There are a larger number of characters and stages based on Japanese memes than others, even English ones.

Sep 21, 2011 at 02:36AM EDT

Two words: “Fuck Yes”.

It wouled probably fall under subculture, but either way add me as an editor when you make the entry.

Sep 21, 2011 at 02:51AM EDT

I remember Chris Menning brought this game into the old office and there were like a billion playable characters. Thumbs up on making an entry!

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:05AM EDT

This is definitely a meme of sorts, Youtube has hundreds if not thousands of videos of altered Mugen sets such as Azumanga Daioh, IWBTG, and Final Fantasy. And then of course there are many sites related to downloading such games. Mugen is also ported by fans onto many consoles.

Last edited Sep 21, 2011 at 10:32PM EDT
Sep 21, 2011 at 10:30PM EDT

Yeah, I too think MUGEN deserves to have the entry in KYM.

As you know, MUGEN is working as a mirror reflecting current online trend among Japanese internet users. There is more to it than mere a game just having huge amount of user generated characters and stages.

BTW, Do original characters and stages which are not ported from other videogame products get popularity among MUGEN players outside Japan ? I’ve never seen original characters which are made by westerners are running on the game.

Sep 22, 2011 at 04:40AM EDT

Well then. This would take a while to gather and write the entry. Any suggestions? All I can think of is reviewing the layouts of some entries for other memetic tools and software.

I noticed that another related thread was already created, but it’s been locked for around a year.

The oldest M.U.G.E.N video I found is probably this, which was uploaded on December 22, 2005.

@mona_jpn

If you mean “well-known”, then yes. Kung-Fu Man is the most popular, due to not only coming with M.U.G.E.N, but for also being modified into several different versions of himself, as well as being used to create completely-different characters, which some of them contain some of Kung-Fu Man’s files.

Besides Kung-Fu Man, perhaps the most well-known original creation is Reuben Kee’s Dragon Claw, due to its charismatic 3D-rendered graphics. It became more popular when its author Reuben Kee died on November 23, 2007 as the result of a boating accident that claimed the lives of several contestants, including four of his teammates, in the 2007 Cambodia Tonle Sap competition. Other well-known original creations by other authors include characters by Aiduzza and Lord Ravenous by EXInferus.

Sep 22, 2011 at 09:02PM EDT

I suggest adding a category regarding “Popular Characters” (god Orichi, ect), “Popular Attacks” (Wryyyyyyy! and attacks induceing Midnight Bliss),“Popular Videos”, and “Popular Projects” (like Card Sagas Wars).

Also, add a section about Fighter Factory (the unofficial tool used to make Mugen Characters).

Last edited Sep 22, 2011 at 09:27PM EDT
Sep 22, 2011 at 09:24PM EDT

@1983parrothead

Thanks. Hmmm, it seems that there are many episodes in its history over a decade.

Sep 23, 2011 at 01:19PM EDT

1983parrothead wrote:

Well then. This would take a while to gather and write the entry. Any suggestions? All I can think of is reviewing the layouts of some entries for other memetic tools and software.

I noticed that another related thread was already created, but it’s been locked for around a year.

The oldest M.U.G.E.N video I found is probably this, which was uploaded on December 22, 2005.

@mona_jpn

If you mean “well-known”, then yes. Kung-Fu Man is the most popular, due to not only coming with M.U.G.E.N, but for also being modified into several different versions of himself, as well as being used to create completely-different characters, which some of them contain some of Kung-Fu Man’s files.

Besides Kung-Fu Man, perhaps the most well-known original creation is Reuben Kee’s Dragon Claw, due to its charismatic 3D-rendered graphics. It became more popular when its author Reuben Kee died on November 23, 2007 as the result of a boating accident that claimed the lives of several contestants, including four of his teammates, in the 2007 Cambodia Tonle Sap competition. Other well-known original creations by other authors include characters by Aiduzza and Lord Ravenous by EXInferus.

I salute Reuben Kee, he was a talented musician and character creator.

Also, i loved his Evil Duo, they are what should be a “Realistic” evil ryu/ken. I remember my bro always picked evil ryu whenever playing, therefore i had to pick ken to counter him :/ Anyways, most of the times the fights between us were balanced, it was always interesting. Specially all these combos oh my, good times.

Anyways, has the entry been created yet?

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:09AM EDT

Thank you. Any other suggestions? Should I submit the entry, even if it isn’t very large? I’m not thinking about starting it like most other people. I would create some sections that might be necessary, while I will add a handful of info in each. And then finally, I will submit it and add some of you as editor of the entry.

Last edited Oct 03, 2011 at 12:15AM EDT
Oct 03, 2011 at 12:02AM EDT

I think you shouled start the entry ASAP, as we already have the About, Origin, and a bit of the Spread figured out.

Oct 03, 2011 at 01:57AM EDT

1983parrothead wrote:

Thank you. Any other suggestions? Should I submit the entry, even if it isn’t very large? I’m not thinking about starting it like most other people. I would create some sections that might be necessary, while I will add a handful of info in each. And then finally, I will submit it and add some of you as editor of the entry.

With the amount of information already gathered here and the amount of people helping you gathering information, I believe you have enough for now to start an article. M.U.G.E.N isn’t something that can be made in 1 go. I’m sure multiple people will offer help for making the entry, through editorship requests or other ways. Just add a “WIP” part at the top of the article. For something as big as M.U.G.E.N, I’m sure people are willing to wait.

But I’ll leave that decission to you.

Last edited Oct 03, 2011 at 03:15AM EDT
Oct 03, 2011 at 03:13AM EDT

I seem to recall that Reuben Kee was actually a rather controversial MUGEN creator. Although beautiful and flashy and completely original in art, I recall reading that his characters weren’t actually that good gameplay-wise. However, after his unfortunate death, the entire fandom basically stopped arguing, and all left messages or sympathy and sadness….a rather sweet, if depressing, end to his MUGEN career.

Oct 03, 2011 at 11:53AM EDT

Just to give a basic idea of the insane amount of characters used in some MUGEN games, here is one man’s roster:

Of course as you can see he left room for people to add even more, and I’m sure they have. This is most definitely an expansive game and just fandom overall.

Oct 03, 2011 at 12:08PM EDT

Fixed the “meme” tag to “subculture”.
I agree that we should have a playable orange character in the game.

Oct 05, 2011 at 12:39PM EDT

1983parrothead wrote:

M.U.G.E.N entry submitted! I’ve added two editors:

• mona_jpn (to write anything about its popularity in Japan)
  • Natsuru Springfield (by his request)

Anyone else want to join its editorship?

Thanks!

I’ll write about that.

Oct 05, 2011 at 01:42PM EDT

Thanks for adding me. I see some organisation issues right now but I will be happy to work on it.

Oct 05, 2011 at 02:54PM EDT

Added a history and search interest. Haven’t really given it a proofreading yet, but it does need some changes at various parts. But we’ll get to that later.

I also replaced your “Meme Characters” part by a regular “Characters” part. This allows for more variety and also allows Natsuru to add her idea for a “popular characters” category.

Last edited Oct 05, 2011 at 07:26PM EDT
Oct 05, 2011 at 07:18PM EDT

I remember there’s a Persona 3 MC (Minato) char made for MUGEN remembering the combos to use the Personae is a bitch, put rewarding when you break out Thanatos and pull of a 60+ hit combo

Oct 06, 2011 at 10:48AM EDT

@RandomMan and Tomberry

That’s fine. Well done.

@AngryOrpheus The Brosona

This is about researching and building the entry, not “General Discussion”.

Oct 06, 2011 at 11:51PM EDT

We have already reached our video embbed limit, so I am probably going to remove most of the “Meme” related ones when I add “Projects” and “Attacks”.

Oct 07, 2011 at 08:19PM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

We have already reached our video embbed limit, so I am probably going to remove most of the “Meme” related ones when I add “Projects” and “Attacks”.

They aren’t related to the Characters part, so feel free. Parrothead added them for his Meme Characters part and as video examples, when I changed it I didn’t feel like removing them.

Oct 07, 2011 at 08:40PM EDT

Allright, I added a section about Attacks and a section about full game projects (Serio’s Castlevania Fighter and Card Sagas Wars).

Now the entry feels more well rounded to me.

Oct 07, 2011 at 11:43PM EDT

There is also a related entry that was submitted “about a year ago” by VGDCMario, which is referred to as Everyone Hates Homer, but it’s been deadpooled. If it deserves to be confirmed, and if it does, then it should be added to the M.U.G.E.N entry as a submeme.

Oct 08, 2011 at 04:16AM EDT

1983parrothead wrote:

There is also a related entry that was submitted “about a year ago” by VGDCMario, which is referred to as Everyone Hates Homer, but it’s been deadpooled. If it deserves to be confirmed, and if it does, then it should be added to the M.U.G.E.N entry as a submeme.

Currently the article is terrible, as is the description.

If you or someone else here can fix the article, I can add you as an editor. I can then pull it back into submissions and add it as a sub-meme. I’m not familiar with the meme, so I can’t say what’s the right choice. But as the article currently is, I’ll leave it deadpooled.

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 07:26AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 07:23AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Currently the article is terrible, as is the description.

If you or someone else here can fix the article, I can add you as an editor. I can then pull it back into submissions and add it as a sub-meme. I’m not familiar with the meme, so I can’t say what’s the right choice. But as the article currently is, I’ll leave it deadpooled.

I haven’t seen any large number of Everyone Hates Homer videos, but I’m sure if you look up “Everyone Hates X” videos, you’ll find a larger number, which is approximately 300 videos, with some of the most viewed ones having from 50,000 to nearly 100,000 views, but most others have around 1,000 views. There are also some similar ones without the “Everyone Hates” words in the title, like Pikawil64’s MUGEN: 10 Minutes of Omega Tiger Woods slaughtering.

Last edited Oct 10, 2011 at 03:35AM EDT
Oct 10, 2011 at 03:33AM EDT

1983parrothead wrote:

I haven’t seen any large number of Everyone Hates Homer videos, but I’m sure if you look up “Everyone Hates X” videos, you’ll find a larger number, which is approximately 300 videos, with some of the most viewed ones having from 50,000 to nearly 100,000 views, but most others have around 1,000 views. There are also some similar ones without the “Everyone Hates” words in the title, like Pikawil64’s MUGEN: 10 Minutes of Omega Tiger Woods slaughtering.

If you’re gonna change the article to “Everyone hates X”, I doubt it’s still related to M.U.G.E.N. As something like “Everyone Hates” can obviously be combined with multiple subject. I don’t want to get racist here, but you get the point.

So maybe update the character part in the M.U.G.E.N entry with a paragraph about hated characters and stuff. Giving a description for characters that need some special explanation for different reasons (hated, unique, OC’s).

Last edited Oct 10, 2011 at 06:42AM EDT
Oct 10, 2011 at 06:41AM EDT

I will probably add a section about God Characters (God Orochi, Sephrioth, and all those other barely beatable/downright unbeatable characters) soon, as there are plenty of videos pitting them against each other or slaughtering everyone.

Oct 10, 2011 at 03:00PM EDT

I added info about a full game made in 2chan.

You guys did a great job. So, I have nothing to do anymore:)

Oct 21, 2011 at 05:07PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!