Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,606 total conversations in 3,356 threads

+ New Thread

Planes Trains & Plantaines The Story of Oedipus

Last posted Oct 09, 2011 at 07:08PM EDT. Added Oct 04, 2011 at 11:34PM EDT
5 posts from 2 users

I’ve just been wondering this for some time. It’s not a meme, I don’t think… but it did spread virally. It’s possible that it is reproducible… or at least the method of nonsensical humor being repeated in other papers made after this essay. Thoughts?

Last edited Oct 04, 2011 at 11:34PM EDT
Oct 04, 2011 at 11:34PM EDT

It’s like an IRL copypasta, but made popular because it’s been circulating the internet for a while.
Similarly like Super Stussy S, this may pass as a meme because of Internet discussions.

For those who don’t know what “Planes Trains & Plantaines The Story of Oedipus” is, here’s a link. Basically, think about the My Immortal fanfiction. You will be left confused and question about the overall seriousness of the writer.

Oct 05, 2011 at 12:43PM EDT

Thanks Mellow. I forgot to put some links to it. So, you think it should be considered a meme, then? There’s lots of sources we could go through, telling how it all happened. I remember the student who wrote it. He mentioned something about the score be technically incorrect. It’s speculated that he was allowed to pass the class because the teacher just wanted to get rid of him.

Last edited Oct 05, 2011 at 04:00PM EDT
Oct 05, 2011 at 03:58PM EDT

If there’s a good amount of internet sources/references (such as blogs), I say it could be passed as a meme.

Think about it: how would anyone else know about Planes, Trains, and Plantains?
The Internet! This gets spread via internet.

However, we have to think about other factors like popularity. Is this noticeable enough? Are there derivatives? How does this compare with other essay stories?… etc. If an entry is to be made, it will take a lot of work and proof.

Oct 05, 2011 at 11:17PM EDT

I’ve started the entry and thus far, I haven’t made very much progress. Here is a link to the article.

Fyi… I’m not very good with html, so this going to be interesting.

Oct 09, 2011 at 07:08PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!