Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,858 total conversations in 3,394 threads

+ New Thread

Ordinary Muslim Man

Last posted Nov 20, 2011 at 01:10PM EST. Added Nov 06, 2011 at 01:02AM EDT
11 posts from 6 users

Just dropping a note in here to let people know I started an entry for this meme. It’s pretty bare-bones so far, but I really thought we ought to have an entry for it. As I state in the article so far, I have pretty much zero info on origin, so anyone who knows something, please help fill in the blanks.

Nov 06, 2011 at 01:02AM EDT

I’m amazed Ordinary Muslim Man is not added already.

Nov 06, 2011 at 04:26PM EST

Yea we really needed this one. Thank you for getting this started.

Nov 06, 2011 at 06:09PM EST

The Internet is weird sometimes. (Sometimes? Anyway…) So I was trying to see if I could find any info on the man in the original photo (link here in case you missed it) and the next time I went on YouTube, I got an ad for iStockPhoto with the picture embedded in it.

So it appears that the man in the picture is from Pakistan, probably a member of the Pashtun ethnic group. His name is not listed, but the name of the photographer is Aman Khan, who lives in Karachi.

Using TinEye, I found that the picture, without the Advice Dog-style background, was used on lolsnaps.com at one point in time, although I can’t find it on the actual site:
[photo:196448]

…and it was used in this video:

Nov 06, 2011 at 11:31PM EST

Yikes, nice preview on that video, huh? It’s actually SFW, in case you were wondering (unless you work with humorless Republicans).

Well, I took a closer look at the “falafels” picture and the meme template, and I’m convinced for various reasons that the template was photoshopped with the “falafels” picture as the basis. That means that picture was not only before the meme became more generalized, but ought to be in fact the evolutionary predecessor, if you will, of the meme picture.

Nov 07, 2011 at 12:06AM EST

Brucker wrote:

Yikes, nice preview on that video, huh? It’s actually SFW, in case you were wondering (unless you work with humorless Republicans).

Well, I took a closer look at the “falafels” picture and the meme template, and I’m convinced for various reasons that the template was photoshopped with the “falafels” picture as the basis. That means that picture was not only before the meme became more generalized, but ought to be in fact the evolutionary predecessor, if you will, of the meme picture.

Everyone is gonna click on that video only to let themselves down…

Nov 07, 2011 at 03:04AM EST

I see your Ordinary Muslim Man and play one Epic Libyan Man XD

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/blogpost/Images/epiclibyanreal.jpg?uuid=pXoH1l-7EeCdxiFLG98fTw

Sorry, just a little joke.

P.S.- Anyone know more about Epic Libyan Man?

Bye :)

Nov 20, 2011 at 01:10PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!