Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

Separating the entry for 2channel and Futaba(2chan)

Last posted Dec 05, 2011 at 03:28PM EST. Added Dec 01, 2011 at 02:26PM EST
5 posts from 4 users

Hello researchers. I want your opinions.

I'm planning to write classic Japanese memes/fads that happened from late 1990's to early 2000's. Almost all those memes/fads were born in 2channel or Futaba channel. So, I'll need to cite an entry for these sites frequently in those entries.

However, the current entry for these 2 sites is poor and very inconvenient. Therefore, I want to enrich information about those sites by separating entry and making entries for each sites individually.

It seems that you westerners mix up 2channel and Futaba as if they are driven by the people with the same characteristics. If you think so, that's completely wrong because the peoplehood of users in both web service is completely different. Especially, Futaba users sometimes show up bigotry against 2channel.

If you mind entries that are related to that entry, that's no problem. Those entries can be separated easily by its birth place.

2channel

Futaba (2chan)

irrelevant with both site

I shoud add that entry for websites isn't suitable intrinsically to parent entry in the first place. So, we may not even need to separate them.

What do you think of it?

Last edited Dec 01, 2011 at 02:29PM EST

I think if it will help you and distinguish the two websites and their characteristics, it would be something great to do.

If you need any help, I'd be willing to put in some work, although I know little of the websites.

It is indeed interesting to note that 2channel is a textboard (ASCII, news, etc., but no image files!) whereas Futaba is an imageboard. 4chan was based on Futaba rather than 2channel.

So maybe make a parent named "Japanese boards", having as children 2channel and Futaba, and then stem from them?

@Christopher the Pimp Abra

Thanks. Fortunately, I have an editorship as entry moderator though it isn't shown on my title, and I can edit any entry and change its status directly.

What I would like to know is 2channel's and Futaba's reception among Westerners.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/item_YlmRY23stU5llXNQdQwrLL

@Hiroman

> that 2channel is a textboard (ASCII, news, etc., but no image files!)
> whereas Futaba is an imageboard.

Yeah, This is very very important difference of both forum. Because that is a textboard, huge amount of Shift-JIS arts have been made in 2channel. And that is also the reason why image-fad like reaction face has rarely happened on 2ch.

> 4chan was based on Futaba rather than 2channel.

From my point of view as the Japanese, though its system is the same of Futaba, the mentality of 4chan's anonymous users, especially their aggression, is more similar to that of 2channel users rather than that of Futaba users.

In my thought, I'll rewrite existing entry to 2channel's entry, and make a new entry for Futaba. I think we don't so much need parent for those only 2 entries at the current moment.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!