Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Lego fan made constructions: a subculture?

Last posted May 04, 2012 at 05:11PM EDT. Added Apr 30, 2012 at 04:47AM EDT
20 posts from 8 users

I have noticed a lot of constructions, even videos, of lego remakes of almost everything.
Does that make it a meme or a subculture at least?
This is just an average sample;

I'd say LEGO in itself is probably a subculture.

I think you should put up an article, but for the general subject of LEGO, not any specific part of it.

I tend to think of Lego as more of an artistic medium than anything else. That which can be molded from clay or painted upon a canvas can also be built out of Lego bricks. Another thing to consider would be the fact that the majority of Lego fan creations are derived from other subcultures such as Lord of the Rings or Battlestar Galactica. Nevertheless, if OP wants to make an entry on it, it's fully in his right. Plus, having it could be an asset to the site; there is an infinite potential for front page material in Lego.

Calling a toy a subculture? I wouldn't go with that so quickly.

Might as well call Play Doh a subculture in that case, plently of fanvids use that as a material.

RandomMan wrote:

Calling a toy a subculture? I wouldn't go with that so quickly.

Might as well call Play Doh a subculture in that case, plently of fanvids use that as a material.

If we can find enough evidence of that, then yeah, we should have an article for that too.

At least, I think we should.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

If we can find enough evidence of that, then yeah, we should have an article for that too.

At least, I think we should.

What I'm trying to say is that Lego is too broad. Plus I wouldn't call it an internet subculture.

If you're planning to make an entry for it, go more in the direction of Minecraft Pixel Art. It centers around certain stuff with the game, but not the game itself. So with the entry, focus on something people do with legos, but not Lego itself. Lego is simply not internet only and not an internet subculture imo. For the example with Minecraft you have to forget here that Minecraft has a subculture article.

Last edited Apr 30, 2012 at 04:22PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

What I'm trying to say is that Lego is too broad. Plus I wouldn't call it an internet subculture.

If you're planning to make an entry for it, go more in the direction of Minecraft Pixel Art. It centers around certain stuff with the game, but not the game itself. So with the entry, focus on something people do with legos, but not Lego itself. Lego is simply not internet only and not an internet subculture imo. For the example with Minecraft you have to forget here that Minecraft has a subculture article.

Yeah, alright. I guess we can narrow it down based on that.

But the fact remains that many such constructions, whether they be claymation vids made with Play Doh or LEGO brick structures, often pull from other subcultures and phenomena for inspiration. And with how long both have been around, I'm certain that there are old photographs of such things that predate the internet.

Actually, I could safely say Lego is a borderline subculture, seeing that it has a couple hundred online communities, a huge fanbase outside of it's target audience, and a decent amount of interest outside said fanbase.

The only problem I see is that it reaaaaly isn't that related to the internet in many ways, which poses a big issue for us.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Actually, I could safely say Lego is a borderline subculture, seeing that it has a couple hundred online communities, a huge fanbase outside of it's target audience, and a decent amount of interest outside said fanbase.

The only problem I see is that it reaaaaly isn't that related to the internet in many ways, which poses a big issue for us.

It's that big?

Yeah, I kinda figured it was huge, but still. Hearing numbers like these still boggles the mind.

I really only know from what my brother has shown me, however that is quite a lot.

Also, I think I should mention Lego is making a Minecraft series soon, so even if a Lego Subculture entry isn't made, it would be interesting to feature this:

I really only know from what my brother has shown me, however that is quite a lot.

Also, I think I should mention Lego is making a Minecraft series soon, so even if a Lego Subculture entry isn't made, it would be interesting to feature this:

Wha?

Okay, now we're definitely getting meta.

Are those communities centered around sharing constructions through images/vids, or does it go beyond that?

Yo dawg, I heard you like building things with blocks so we put blocks in your blocks so you can build while you build!

RandomMan wrote:

Are those communities centered around sharing constructions through images/vids, or does it go beyond that?

Mainly the sharing of constructions and modding of the Minifigures (the official name for these guys) though images and videos. Though they also share building instructions, decals, and a few other things. (I also do remember seeing some comics using Lego's as the characters, but I don't know how common that is.)

However, again, much of this doesn't seem to be that grounded to the internet, so I can't directly tell how much the internet had on the lego community.

Mainly the sharing of constructions and modding of the Minifigures (the official name for these guys) though images and videos. Though they also share building instructions, decals, and a few other things. (I also do remember seeing some comics using Lego's as the characters, but I don't know how common that is.)

However, again, much of this doesn't seem to be that grounded to the internet, so I can't directly tell how much the internet had on the lego community.

Thanks for the info. By that I stick to my opinion of an entry for Lego Constructions/Art working out better than one for Lego itself, similar to the Minecraft Pixel Art entry. Details about the product itself can be placed in the origin section, just make it a bit bigger.

My opinion is of course no absolute. If OP thinks an entry for Lego itself works better, he can go do that and we'll see if it needs to be changed in the future.

Last edited May 02, 2012 at 11:01PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Um, do we have an article yet?

if you do a search for "lego" in the KYM search bar

the first result is: "ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAW"

and the second result has the word "lego" in it: "I hope you step on a Lego"

I hope this answers your question :)

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

if you do a search for "lego" in the KYM search bar

the first result is: "ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAW"

and the second result has the word "lego" in it: "I hope you step on a Lego"

I hope this answers your question :)

You could have just said "Yes" or "No", you know.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!