Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,675 total conversations in 3,367 threads

+ New Thread

Deleting the Toothpasting entry

Last posted May 10, 2012 at 01:42AM EDT. Added May 08, 2012 at 10:07PM EDT
11 posts from 8 users

I suggest to delete or hide it because it will ruin 4chan’s plan.

May 08, 2012 at 10:07PM EDT

First, should be posted in Meme Research.

Second, by removing it we fail our purpose. KYM documents internet phenomena. Toothpasting is currently getting popular online, therefore we should document it.

And if you’re afraid that it will ruin their plan, I’m pretty sure most kids, parents and/or news stations don’t read KYM. So I don’t think we’ll ruin any plan.

May 08, 2012 at 10:12PM EDT

As it was switched between boards, I can’t edit my post. So new one:

I read through the entry a second time and noticed that not anywhere we state that it’s false info or an act of trolling. The best attempt at saying it’s fake is that we put “new drug craze” between primes. The only thing that we cover is that people claim rubbing toothpaste on one’s nipples gets you high and how it has spread to different sites and other sources. But we haven’t added that these claims are false.

So I still don’t think we’re ruining any plan.

Last edited May 08, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT
May 08, 2012 at 10:35PM EDT

A similar discussion occurred within the mods a few weeks back. Remember Operation Potatogag? We were discussing whether we should include that in the entry or not; on one hand, it is relevant to the “potato girl revealed” phenomenon, but on the other hand, we might just ruin 4chan’s plans and cause the effect to waver. Eventually we reached a consensus: we will document it when the event reached a certain impact/became mainstream to a certain degree. As for now I don’t know if we will document them.

May 08, 2012 at 11:15PM EDT

Mister J wrote:

A similar discussion occurred within the mods a few weeks back. Remember Operation Potatogag? We were discussing whether we should include that in the entry or not; on one hand, it is relevant to the “potato girl revealed” phenomenon, but on the other hand, we might just ruin 4chan’s plans and cause the effect to waver. Eventually we reached a consensus: we will document it when the event reached a certain impact/became mainstream to a certain degree. As for now I don’t know if we will document them.

If we document operations like these before the movement reaches an obvious conclusion, we’re not an impartial source. We’re affecting the phenomenon. I’d say that that’s grounds to delay publication until either 4chan carries out its plan or the movement dies down.
We can still research. Seeing as all the editors are mods/admins, I recommend hiding the article and working on it in that state. When the Operation has run its course, publish.

May 09, 2012 at 10:27AM EDT

We never said it wasn’t real.

I understand where you’re coming from, but at the time of publishing, this reddit thread already had over 1100 points and got them within 9 hours. It wasn’t something hiding in the deep dark internets that couldn’t be found with a search that any good fact-checker would perform.

Last edited May 09, 2012 at 11:49AM EDT
May 09, 2012 at 11:45AM EDT

Remember Operation Apocalypse?
Yeah, me neither…

May 09, 2012 at 02:06PM EDT

amanda b. wrote:

We never said it wasn’t real.

I understand where you’re coming from, but at the time of publishing, this reddit thread already had over 1100 points and got them within 9 hours. It wasn’t something hiding in the deep dark internets that couldn’t be found with a search that any good fact-checker would perform.

In that case, ok. The odds of someone finding it without googling Operation Toothpaste are not enough to significantly alter the course of the operation, especially if it’s already out there that toothpasting is linked to these threads.
I retract my previous post.

May 09, 2012 at 04:25PM EDT

The only part of that page implying it’s fake is the people whining in the comments section. The article does a pretty good job of not saying anything.

May 09, 2012 at 07:10PM EDT

Philip J. Fry wrote:

The only part of that page implying it’s fake is the people whining in the comments section. The article does a pretty good job of not saying anything.

well for this to be true you must remove the 4chan screencap

it contains the sentences:
“produce some fake testimonial”
“also remember to send some scientific bullshit”

not that those give it entirely away by logic, but the words “fake” and “bullshit” may trigger a raised and doubtful eyebrow

May 10, 2012 at 01:42AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!