Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Cosplay entry?

Last posted Jun 12, 2012 at 01:01AM EDT. Added May 24, 2012 at 02:07PM EDT
16 posts from 7 users

I noticed there is no entry on cosplay (short for costume play) despite it's large presence. Is it large enough to make an entry? My guess is it would be a subculture.

I would think it has enough impact on internet culture to warrant one.

Edit: Some examples:

Last edited May 24, 2012 at 02:27PM EDT

Cosplayers aren't really a subculture. Cosplay is an activity found in virtually all fandoms. They don't really have any unifying characteristics.
I would still document it, but it predates the internet. No point in documenting it as an activity. We have the exact same justification for making an entry on eating and sleeping.

Although it's not something performed on the internet, many cosplays are shared on dedicated sites or on DeviantArt. So based on all the attention cosplay receives online, I say go make that entry.

I'll start writing a rough draft, getting enough examples to form a "notable examples" column, doing research, etc. Do I need to bother making a section for notable fandoms, or can I just say something along the lines of "cosplay is generally found amongst all fandoms"?

And do I need to go into detail about Western vs Japanese cosplay? Or can I just be pretty general?

Muffins wrote:

I'll start writing a rough draft, getting enough examples to form a "notable examples" column, doing research, etc. Do I need to bother making a section for notable fandoms, or can I just say something along the lines of "cosplay is generally found amongst all fandoms"?

And do I need to go into detail about Western vs Japanese cosplay? Or can I just be pretty general?

Quoting from the Wiki page on cosplay:

Cosplay (コスプレ kosupure?), short for "costume play", is a type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea.

So it makes sense that characters in popular fandoms are often used for cosplay. But a short section for fandom related cosplays can work. Just make a sub-header where you point out to some fandoms that often cosplay and some sites or groups where those fandoms share their cosplays.

Last edited May 24, 2012 at 06:56PM EDT

Yeah, sure. Cosplay definitely is popular online. Perhaps we could also include any examples of really popular people who are reconized for their cosplay. I know little about this subject though, but seeing the response from KYM, I'm sure its in good hands.

+1 Cosplay entry, it would have to be focused on cosplay online though, so the sites that they use, popular places to share photos, items, etc. and if there's well known cosplayers online, them too! this is actually a really awesome idea and i am excited to see it!

I've written a (really) short rough draft and I've gathered a few examples. Should I proceed with creating the entry, or should I keep doing research?

With what I have, I still have a long way to go before the entry will be of acceptable condition. I'll be unable to work on it for the next couple of weeks though, so I need to know if I need to put this up ASAP or not.

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 11:34PM EDT

Muffins wrote:

I've written a (really) short rough draft and I've gathered a few examples. Should I proceed with creating the entry, or should I keep doing research?

With what I have, I still have a long way to go before the entry will be of acceptable condition. I'll be unable to work on it for the next couple of weeks though, so I need to know if I need to put this up ASAP or not.

You can go create it.

I'm sure others will jump in to help out, so no worries there.

That being said, I remember some type of cosplay where people purposely cosplay as the opposite gender. Anyone know what it's called? Would make a great header.

Last edited Jun 05, 2012 at 09:31AM EDT

Muffins wrote:

It is done.

As you can see, it needs a lot of work. Feel free to send me any suggestions or to request (or give yourself) editorship if you feel you can help.

I'll go work on it a bit. Might take a while though. A ten minute search already ended me up with way too many tabs. I'll read possible suggestions and editorship requests afterwards, to avoid accidentally saving over each other.

Considering the fact there are somewhat explicit cospalys out there, will an NSFW tag be necessary?

I'll be adding one just in case. Feel free to remove it if unneeded.

Last edited Jun 05, 2012 at 04:48PM EDT

Yeah, there probably should be an entry on cosplaying. I mean, almost every internet meme put on wax has been cosplayed in some form, shape, or way.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!