Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Sticky Sticky
Know Your Meme Database Tag Index

Last posted May 16, 2023 at 09:17PM EDT. Added Jun 06, 2012 at 07:03PM EDT
20 posts from 14 users

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 02:12AM EDT

thank you so much for this, Brad. it really bugs me when things are really hard to search for if you don't know the exact name of an entry. I'd also like to advocate for the ability for anyone (or perhaps accounts older then a month or something) to modify tags on an image or video, since most uploaders (at least the ones who upload in bulk) don't tag anything they put up. in large image archives like the bottomless beheamoth that is MLP, an image more then a week old is impossible to find unless fav'd or otherwise set aside for later.
in addition, could it be possible (or does it already work in such a way) for images/video to automatically get tagged with the title of the entry they are put in? for example, an image in the 60s Spider Man entry automatically gets that put in its tags, which would add some organization and consistency to entry archives.

in addition, could it be possible (or does it already work in such a way) for images/video to automatically get tagged with the title of the entry they are put in?

I think that's a great question. When I first started adding tags to my images, I was wondering if I should add the tag for the entry title. I believe that if it's under a listed entry, then the image would show up even without the entry titled being tagged in the image, but I'm not sure.

Also, if I were to tag something with a pony image, should the tag be "my little pony friendship is magic", "my little pony: friendship is magic" (with a colon,) or "my little pony" and "friendship is magic" as two separate tags?

I've been using two tags for related images (i.e. "my little pony" , "friendship is magic"). However, that doesn't cover "MLP" and I'm not sure if that covers just "pony."

AugustDay wrote:

thank you so much for this, Brad. it really bugs me when things are really hard to search for if you don't know the exact name of an entry. I'd also like to advocate for the ability for anyone (or perhaps accounts older then a month or something) to modify tags on an image or video, since most uploaders (at least the ones who upload in bulk) don't tag anything they put up. in large image archives like the bottomless beheamoth that is MLP, an image more then a week old is impossible to find unless fav'd or otherwise set aside for later.
in addition, could it be possible (or does it already work in such a way) for images/video to automatically get tagged with the title of the entry they are put in? for example, an image in the 60s Spider Man entry automatically gets that put in its tags, which would add some organization and consistency to entry archives.

This. I always tag images and videos now; I didn't used to of course. However, I came to realize how useful tagging really is when you search something.

Now, I'm confused what this "Database of Tags Index" is. Is this a general guide to the most common tags?

Last edited Jun 07, 2012 at 12:17AM EDT

This is so useful. I've always been confused on our tagging system; it was so sporadic and variable that I didn't know what I should be tagging my entries with! Thanks a ton for clearing it up, guys.

Verbose wrote:

in addition, could it be possible (or does it already work in such a way) for images/video to automatically get tagged with the title of the entry they are put in?

I think that's a great question. When I first started adding tags to my images, I was wondering if I should add the tag for the entry title. I believe that if it's under a listed entry, then the image would show up even without the entry titled being tagged in the image, but I'm not sure.

Also, if I were to tag something with a pony image, should the tag be "my little pony friendship is magic", "my little pony: friendship is magic" (with a colon,) or "my little pony" and "friendship is magic" as two separate tags?

I've been using two tags for related images (i.e. "my little pony" , "friendship is magic"). However, that doesn't cover "MLP" and I'm not sure if that covers just "pony."

i've always wondered about what exact tags to use as well.
i usually use a bunch, such as "MLP, MLP: FIM, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, My Little Pony, Pony,"

i always figured overkill was better then underkill. since i have autofill on for KYM, i use those groups of tags as a template, then i add anything specific on top of those. so all of my images (depending on the entry of course) tend to have the tags to start, then a couple unique ones.

"This article is an index list of all custom-tagged categories for entries, images* and videos* (asterisk denotes “coming soon”). Please use these tags where applicable and feel free to suggest more tags to be added here. This post will be updated constantly!

Internet-Related References"

Last edited Jun 07, 2012 at 10:05PM EDT

Thanks for all the feedback! Keep em coming!

Is there a max number of tags the system allows? Or a max number that is practical for a given entry?

@Olivia: nope. But if you're looking for suggestions on any tagging method, I try to start with the broadest categories like primary medium (ex: video remix, photoshop, image macro) and source materials (team fortress, saturday night live) followed by more niche tag categories like the names of relevant people or sites (ex: 4chan, moot, anonymous) and contextually relevant tags (ex: misspelled, fitness, social stereotypes). For the sake of tidy appearance, I'd keep the number of tags somewhere in the ballpark of 10 to 15.

I’d also like to advocate for the ability for anyone (or perhaps accounts older then a month or something) to modify tags on an image or video, since most uploaders (at least the ones who upload in bulk) don’t tag anything they put up. In addition, could it be possible (or does it already work in such a way) for images/video to automatically get tagged with the title of the entry they are put in?

@AugustDay: Great idea, duly noted. It would be really great if our largest galleries could be neatly sorted into sub-categories. For example, imagine if our reaction faces were sorted by emotive subcategories (ex: reaction face shock, reaction face disapprove, etc). There could be endless possibilities!

Is anime supposed to be up there twice? Memes and series?

@TheVaughnenator: The two "anime" tags shows different entry results: one for subculture entries (fandom) and one for all memes related to or based on animes (general). Additional sub-categories can be built upon by adding a term right next to "anime." Similar case with films & tv shows and video games.

Also, if I were to tag something with a pony image, should the tag be “my little pony friendship is magic”, “my little pony: friendship is magic” (with a colon,) or “my little pony” and “friendship is magic” as two separate tags?

@Verbose: Our current tagging method mostly disregards commas or colons. Therefore, it wont be necessary to input more than one, as long as the wording and letter-spacing remains the same. In regard to using initialisms and acronyms, I would put it in both shorthand and the full wording just to be sure.

Now, I’m confused what this “Database of Tags Index” is. Is this a general guide to the most common tags?

@Anako: Yeup. This is actually a second draft of this meme classification thread (trivia: also this is the first assignment I started on my first day at KYM!) and a jumping board to build a list of standard tags for entries, images and videos that is far more comprehensive, organized and intuitive. I'm sure I missed a couple of other related threads, but in short this has been an ongoing project for some of us.

Last edited Jun 08, 2012 at 02:14AM EDT

@MisterJ,

There's a solution for that! You can search for entries by origin (as denoted in the origin field of the entry, not the general tag field). So if you type in origin:4chan in the search, you'll get a list of all memes that have been identified as originating from 4chan.

I'll update the list with "by origin" section.

Would "webcomic" be an appropriate tag, or is the tag "comic" sufficient?

EDIT: Don said both were fine. Can the OP be updated to include "webcomic"?

Last edited Jun 15, 2012 at 08:31PM EDT

I listed some musicians in the similar entry section as a solution to a suggestion made in this thread. As I noticed we didn't have any tags yet for music or musicians, I chose to use the "musician (name)" tag. This way it covers artists that use their own name and those that use a stagename, and also doesn't turn up deadpooled entries that happen to use the "musician" tag. So perhaps update the tag list with that. If a different tag fits better, I can change it. Just in case, here are the ones I added:

But anyway, as I checked the thread, I noticed we might need some other person related tags. Perhaps one for "actors" like Nicolas Cage and Keanu Reeves. Or an "internet celebrity" tag to cover a broader group. The internet celebrity tag can also be divided into sub-sections like "youtube celebrity" and others.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 09:30AM EDT

I'd like to bump this with a suggestion for tagging specific to images.

This first post appears to be focused more on entry tags and not image tags. However, I think that many people (users and those without accounts) come to look for images. Now that you can search for images with specific tags, I think that tags for images need to be discussed.

First off, when I last posted here in regards to the images I uploaded, apparently commas didn't matter. However, I've been tagging images, and commas separate tags now.

Also, there are some tags that I would like to look for on occasion and change/add.

For example, some tags might be redundant:

• animated gif
  • animated
  • gif

I would prefer "animated," because there are animated .png's, and some .gifs are not animated. I think "animated" covers all three.
And I would most certainly prefer not to use all three for any moving image.

I also don't know how the name of the entry affects the images. Do all images in the "forever alone" entry come up in the images of the results when you search for "forever alone?" Or will they only come up if they are tagged individually as "forever alone?"
gallery

If images from the Forever Alone gallery come up even if the images themselves are not tagged "Forever Alone" or the entry is gallery has the tag "forever alone," then people can know/learn that they don't have to add the name of the entry to the tag if it is in that entry.

But if that image crosses over an is part of two or three entries, then the tags for the other entries that this particular image isn't in should be added to the image.

It's of great interest to me, because I'm tagging images I've found to be untagged, but I'd like to develop a list for some commonly expected and used tags.

4 pane comic?
4 panel comic?
4 panel?
4 pane?

If there is a commonly agreed upon list for images, then users can just click on those to find images. And mods who are going through and tagging images can know how to tag (and can search for other likely used tags to change them to the accepted tag.)

Anyone want to chat about this on here?

tl;dr: I need an admin here plz thx.

Ah, nice to see that there's a thread for this. (A currently-active one, that is.) I've been working on trying to tag the photos in the Katawa Shoujo entry, and I think I've been making good progress, but there are things I've noticed concerning which I have questions.

1. Uploader names in search – I've noticed that searching for "Rin Tezuka" via this search does a pretty good job of only turning up images related to the character, I'm guessing most users are likely to use this search which turns up nearly three times as many results, those extra two-thirds being images uploaded by the user named "Rin Tezuka". Similarly, a search for "Milhouse" brings up a lot of completely irrelevant results that are only there because I posted them, and my user name has included the word "Milhouse" in it in the past. Q: Is there any way we could get the default behavior to not include user names?

2. Partial matches work – I see it's been asked a few times about redundant tags and length of tags, and from what I've seen, a partial match will get results. That is to say, if once again you were looking for pictures of Rin Tezuka, both a search for "Rin" and "Tezuka" would yield pictures tagged "Rin Tezuka". That's why I would suggest it might be good to tag MLP entries with the full tag "My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic", since that will catch searches for "Pony", "My Little Pony", and "My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic". It could get tricky, though, as that will not catch searches for "My Little Ponies" or "MLP", so how extensive you want to be is up to you. Also, partial word matches don't work, so someone who tries to be clever and search "My Little Pon" will get nothing. (In theory; currently it gets a handful of DJ PON-3 pics, but you get my point.) Q: Is there a wildcard for searches, and if not, could there be?

3. Photos do not get entry-tagged – A big part of what I've been doing with the K.S. photos is making sure each one has the tag "Katawa Shoujo" on it, because they won't come up in a "Katawa Shoujo" search otherwise. I'm inclined to think that finding matches to the entry name is more useful than finding matches to the uploader's name, so I wonder if that might be changed? On a related note, I think there can be some confusion with respect to memes with odd names, be they foreign (봉천동 귀신? How do you spell that w/Latin alphabet?) or otherwise made up of somewhat unusual symbols (48÷2(9+3) = ?). Tagging both the entries and related items can be problematic, but there's probably no simple solution to that anymore than we could solve users simply misspelling English words.

4. This is a massive task – There are hundreds of entries and thousands of photos either without tags or improperly tagged; it seems good that we're at least working on some sort of standardization. From working with the K.S. photos, I get the impression that one of the hardest things to deal with is always going to be tagging photos on subculture entries; I can't imagine what a nightmare the MLP gallery is to deal with.

Hello! You must login or signup first!