As some of you might know, I made the Pinkie Pie Breaking The 4th Wall entry yesterday. After I got some more work done yesterday, I can say it’s looking pretty good. But of course, as with each new MLP entry, you get the negative comments with arguments that make no sense imo. At first I don’t really mind. But not a single MLP entry goes by without getting those comments from bronies and non-bronies alike. It’s starting to annoy me at times.
So before I continue, I’m going to counter some of the standard arguments and give my opinion on them.
- “Too many pony entries” or “We don’t need another pony entry”: I still fail to see how that is an argument. KnowYourMeme covers memes regardless of origin or type. If it’s notable and deserves an entry, then that’s what we do. Simple as that. That can’t even be considered an argument, just a dumb excuse. Plus, as it currently stands, Pokémon still has more sub-entries compared to My Little Pony. Not even mentioning all the Advice Animal entries we have. So once again, not an argument, just an excuse.
- “We need a seperate site for all the Pony Memes”: First, that’s rude. You’re indirectly saying KYM isn’t or can’t do a good job at covering MLP memes. And as I did a lot of work on the MLP entries, I take that personally. I spend hard work on those entries and don’t like comments that indirectly say I should take my effort somewhere else while this is a site made for that. But second, why do we need a seperate site? KYM does a great job at covering the important memes. Of course I don’t like each one as much, but that’s just a personal opinion and shouldn’t matter. There are already plenty of brony sites out there, why need another one specifically for the memes? Lastly, if you want a KnowYourPony so badly, go make one yourself. Don’t be so goddamn selfish and demand it from others.
- “MLP memes get all the attention why other, better, memes have to suffer.”: Most of the content featured on the frontpage isn’t related to MLP in any way, so this is just a bad excuse. Second, KYM has to appeal to its visitors. And as we know, a lot of daily traffic comes from bronies. So it only makes sense that KYM also features brony related stuff. The comments you read then about “too much MLP frontpage” are just annoying.
- “Only MLP memes get confirmed”: See above argument. Plus going back to another tv-related subculture: Pokémon has more confirmed memes than MLP.
- “Ponies take over the trending bar constantly”: Comments make up the trending bar. When you make that comment on a MLP entry, you’re only helping in getting it trending. Irony much?
So that covers most of the main arguments. Although I doubt I should even consider them arguments.
But let’s continue the original discussion. I’d like to know what you guys think. Do these arguments make sense or are they just pointless ranting? And what should we do with the pony memes?
Overall post was too big, had to split it up.