Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

25,198 total conversations in 3,442 threads

+ New Thread

Viral Videos

Last posted Jun 19, 2012 at 11:49AM EDT. Added Jun 10, 2012 at 06:43AM EDT
7 posts from 6 users

Hi. I’m the creator of the Viral videos entry and I’m currently deciding what viral video entries to feature in the main entry. I can only put a fraction of all the viral video entries we have so I wanted you guys to help me pick some of the most notable / popular / classic viral video entries we have on KYM to feature in it.

Jun 10, 2012 at 06:43AM EDT

We don’t really feature viral videos unless they become memetic.

Jun 11, 2012 at 01:42AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

We don’t really feature viral videos unless they become memetic.

Well we still have quite a few viral vid entries. You should see all the sub-entries.

Jun 11, 2012 at 01:59AM EDT

I’ll add some of those – definitely needs Kony (also that entry probably aught to be confirmed at some point – just sayin’).

My goal with listing the ‘Notable Examples’ was to keep them in rough chronological order.

Jun 11, 2012 at 04:23PM EDT

+1 chronological order -- this is really important bc of viewcounts -- i wish we had a scale comparing the viewcounts of viral videos of 2006,7,8 to now..if there was some sort of metric for it

music videos aren’t always memetic, so yeah maybe an h4 mentioning it?

Jun 11, 2012 at 04:47PM EDT

Here to tell you people that I’ve removed quite some of the sub-entries of the Viral Videos article. I mainly looked at what the meme in question is, and based on that decided if it should be removed or not. The following examples are all former sub-entries that I have removed:

• Epic Sax Guy: The meme here is the sax player, not the vid of the performance.
  • The Old Spice Commercials and Will it Blend? are notable examples of Viral Advertising, not viral vids. Perhaps those work out better as sub-entries for the online-advertisement entry. But as that entry hasn’t really been given a purpose yet, I rather wait with it for now.
  • Supercut: The meme here is making video montages. But the results aren’t viral vids. Same with 5 second movies and the Cinnamon Challenge. Those aren’t viral videos, just popular things to do in videos or on camera.
  • Magnets, How Do They Work?: The meme here is the question on how magnets work and its trolling purposes, not the videoclip or the song.
  • When I’m Bored: The meme here is to create videos in the same style as the original. Yes, the original is popular, but it’s still just the origin. The true spread was gained through all the results it spawned.

Those aren’t all the sub-entries I removed, just the most notable ones. If you disagree with some of the entries I removed, please tell and I’ll look into it. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be mentioned in the entry, as the origins are still viral vids (although not always), but adding them as sub-entries is incorrect imo.

Last edited Jun 19, 2012 at 11:51AM EDT
Jun 19, 2012 at 11:49AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!