Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,809 total conversations in 4,530 threads

+ New Thread

Mother of God!

Last posted Jul 16, 2012 at 03:07PM EDT. Added Jul 12, 2012 at 01:44PM EDT
12 posts from 7 users

This is really the embarassing little secret that KYM doesn't like to talk about, or doesn't know. The rage face is based on KC's comic, yes, but the meme itself originated on KYM, the very site that repeats over and over that it is not for creating memes.

The user Teh_Mudkip did what every new user (who isn't familiar with the rules) does, he created a "meme" of his own. The rage face and the strolling stick figure. In the original entry he himself said that he created it, he created and added the images. But because KYM is a popular site it did catch on on 4Chan, slowly but inevitably.

That was in 2008, I didn't save a screenshot so this doesn't really sound legit….but there were other users who saw it and can support my claim (if they are still active).

Edit: Okay discard the thing about Teh_Mudkip. I'm an idiot. He wasn't the one that created the meme and the original entry (since he joined a year ago, so it couldn't be him). But still, the meme did emerge from KYM.

Well, alright, I can't remember when it exactly began, but it did begin here.

Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 01:50PM EDT

I find this hard to believe. We may contribute to the popularity of a meme that plenty of users see the entry for, but that doesn't mean the meme came from here.

Also stats or it didn't happen

Yeah, without any evidence my allegations don't worth shit. But if KYM keeps a track of entry or edit history or something of the sort we could just check it. If not I guess the original place of birth of the rage face will remain shrouded in mystery.

Last edited Jul 13, 2012 at 04:52AM EDT

It's plausible that it happened we actually have a meme that started here, but there are a few factors to keep in mind.

It's very possible Teh_Mudkip created the meme. But as we can't proof this, there's currently no way to back this up.

But remember, we get entries that read "I created this lel" on a nearly daily base. A lot of people have tried to start a meme on KYM or elsewhere, this isn't new. Perhaps Teh_Mudkip was just one of those very few people who got lucky and actually created a meme. But once again, no evidence in this.

But even if Teh_Mudkip created the meme, that doesn't automatically mean he started it on KYM. He could've been posting it all over the web for a while already. Reddit, 4chan, Memebase, etc. He wanted his creation to spread and KYM was one of the ways he chose to use.

This can also be seen back in Teh_Mudkips activity. Even after all this time he's still a Brand New Member. I doubt he's still using his account. So the only reason he created it was most likely to create that entry.

So just because there's an entry created by the person who started the meme, doesn't mean it was KYM who started the meme. One user =/= an entire documentation website.

Last edited Jul 13, 2012 at 06:13PM EDT

Great, now I'm feeling like a conspiracy theorist…

>So just because there’s an entry created by the person who started the meme, doesn’t mean it was KYM who started the meme. One user =/= an entire documentation website.

That's not what I was implying at all, I just ment that it did start here.

Edit: Why can't I quote manually? When I write [quote] before the phrase it just gets shrunken.

Last edited Jul 14, 2012 at 07:24AM EDT

However, this is a lead.

Cross check the Google Insights data with the date the Meme entry was posted. If he really did make that rage face, the times it increased in popularity and the entry created date should be similar.

Reptiliansteve wrote:

Great, now I'm feeling like a conspiracy theorist…

>So just because there’s an entry created by the person who started the meme, doesn’t mean it was KYM who started the meme. One user =/= an entire documentation website.

That's not what I was implying at all, I just ment that it did start here.

Edit: Why can't I quote manually? When I write [quote] before the phrase it just gets shrunken.

Quoting seperate parts requires the <blockquote> Text to be quoted. </blockquote>.

Text to be quoted.

@Natsuru

That wouldn't really help. We have plenty of entries that were created on the same day as something got popular. A better way is too search Google for the meme before his entry was created and see if it was already mentioned elsewhere. If so, the KYM entry isn't the origin. If not, we have to dig deeper.

But looking at the entry, we can see the face was taken from a KC Green comic:

So unless Teh_Mudkip is the creator of the KC Green comics, I doubt he's the true creator of the meme. Faces get ragefaced all the time.

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 12:08AM EDT
So unless Teh_Mudkip is the creator of the KC Green comics, I doubt he’s the true creator of the meme. Faces get ragefaced all the time.

Not necessarily, it's in the same sense as saying that the photographer of Obama is the creator of the rage face. Regardless, I am a witness to the creation of this meme on this site (Teh_Mudkip himself stated when the meme was submitted that he made it). But I have no evidence and if there is no way of retrieving the edit history then there's no point to continue this thread.

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 06:46AM EDT

I'm not going to say that I do or don't believe this, because there's no evidence yet, but it certainly is interesting. Is anybody actually interested in researching the source of the rageface, or is this just a discussion within the thread?

Trollkeeper wrote:

I'm not going to say that I do or don't believe this, because there's no evidence yet, but it certainly is interesting. Is anybody actually interested in researching the source of the rageface, or is this just a discussion within the thread?

Is anybody actually interested in researching the source of the rageface, or is this just a discussion within the thread?

or both. I didn't think of that.
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!