Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,583 total conversations in 3,354 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Do these constitute as memes?

Last posted Aug 17, 2012 at 04:00PM EDT. Added Aug 17, 2012 at 02:20PM EDT
11 posts from 8 users

Hi everyone. First time poster and generally new to memes. So i see the ridiculously photogenic guy meme and the bad luck brian meme and use things like that to base what I know.
I’m a big boxing fan and came across a blog with a page of boxing meme’s
here:

http://thebodyblow.wordpress.com/boxing-memes-2/?preview=true&preview_id=166&preview_nonce=834f33b504

My question… do these constitute as memes? Sorry for lack of meme knowledge and seeming noobish

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:20PM EDT

Not really. these are instances of known memes, not memes themselves.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:26PM EDT

Ahhh okay, instances make sense. So how would one go about being a meme? The one of David Haye looked like it could be one

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:05PM EDT

Don’t you know? Literally everything constitutes as a meme if it’s on the internet, just look at some of the entries on here.

Step 1: Take picture of self
Step 2: Put caption in large IMPACT font
Step 3: Post on reddit, submit to KYM and instantly achieve CONFIRMED status

It’s really that simple, go on and try. It’s not like any actual research is done here, after all.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:49PM EDT

Taryn wrote:

Don’t you know? Literally everything constitutes as a meme if it’s on the internet, just look at some of the entries on here.

Step 1: Take picture of self
Step 2: Put caption in large IMPACT font
Step 3: Post on reddit, submit to KYM and instantly achieve CONFIRMED status

It’s really that simple, go on and try. It’s not like any actual research is done here, after all.

Last edited Aug 17, 2012 at 03:50PM EDT
Aug 17, 2012 at 03:50PM EDT

Nah I didn’t, but I guess that would explain the huge explosion of meme’s my friends told me about.
I guess if you get enough steam behind something it’ll count as a meme.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:50PM EDT

lllegion wrote:

Nah I didn’t, but I guess that would explain the huge explosion of meme’s my friends told me about.
I guess if you get enough steam behind something it’ll count as a meme.

You don’t seem to entirely understand how meme inception works, you can’t really push a meme, it’s an idea that gets copied, replicated, and spun-off by many people.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:53PM EDT

The image macros you posted are already parts of other memes.
For example:
Bad luck brian
Now Kiss
Joseph Ducreux

The images already have their respective entries and don’t need a another entry.

Oh and thanks for making a thread before making an entry

Last edited Aug 17, 2012 at 03:58PM EDT
Aug 17, 2012 at 03:55PM EDT

A meme is an idea that gets spread around across a group of people.

Here’s an example:

Person A: Hey have you heard of Galo Sengen?

Person B: Nope

Person A: Oh, let me show it to you.

That’s a pretty rough example, but you get the point. Really anything can be a meme, but it has to have certain criteria. Basically, a picture with impact text on it is not a meme, it’s a picture with impact text on it. However, the idea of putting impact text on a picture is a meme, which you can read about here.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:56PM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

You don’t seem to entirely understand how meme inception works, you can’t really push a meme, it’s an idea that gets copied, replicated, and spun-off by many people.

Yea, still noobish on this concept. That makes sense though

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:57PM EDT

I think Sav, Katie, Ivan, and Fridge covered this pretty well. A meme is a natural thing. If the internet takes to it, it will spread. Since the question’s been covered, I’ll go ahead and lock this thread.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:00PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!