Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,681 total conversations in 3,369 threads

+ New Thread


France Is Bacon-Meme Entry?

Last posted Oct 25, 2012 at 07:36PM EDT. Added Sep 21, 2012 at 05:14PM EDT
16 posts from 9 users

Hai guise.

I recently made my first editorship request after digging up information about Happy Cat I didn’t find present in the entry itself. However, now after doing some more lurking, I’ve decided that I’m comfortable with taking a whack at creating an entry. However, before I do so, I just want to ask all of you guys if you think it has enough memetic qualities to merit a KYM entry.

France is Bacon.

This seems to have achieved notable popularity on reddit, even enough to be mentioned in the reddit entry itself under the “Memes Originated on Reddit” section. Now, I’d be fine with keeping it this way, but these meme seems quite large. As in, large enough to deserve its own entry.

I have the origin (the original reddit thread) right here and the phrase “France is Bacon” has been used as a catchphrase before, as well as the bacon image itself (pictured above) becoming widespread on the Internet. So there’s the origin and a little bit of spread, and I’m sure with more lurking, more information could easily be found. I was planning on asking redditors what they knew about this meme sometime to gather more information for the entry, should it be made.

So, what do you think, KYM? Should I go for it and make the entry? (By the way, if I do make it, I’ll be glad to add anybody who has information on this meme.)

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:14PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Posting a thread twice. Though banning would be harsh, it’s usually just one of the threads being closed.

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:29PM EDT
Quote

I think Starrfish meant inb4

Last edited Sep 21, 2012 at 06:18PM EDT
Sep 21, 2012 at 06:01PM EDT

But, why would this be locked? I wanted to know if I should create an entry for France Is Bacon, and haven’t gotten one on-topic response yet.

So should I make the entry or not?

Sep 21, 2012 at 06:09PM EDT
Quote

Please ignore those two, Fun Police. Some people don’t realize this is the Meme Research section and not the Just for Fun section. I’m not a big contributor when it comes to entries, but hopefully an Entry Mod will drop by and be able to give an opinion on this.

Last edited Sep 21, 2012 at 06:14PM EDT
Sep 21, 2012 at 06:13PM EDT
Quote

madcat wrote:

Please ignore those two, Fun Police. Some people don’t realize this is the Meme Research section and not the Just for Fun section. I’m not a big contributor when it comes to entries, but hopefully an Entry Mod will drop by and be able to give an opinion on this.

I was just trying to correct Starrfish.

Last edited Sep 21, 2012 at 06:20PM EDT
Sep 21, 2012 at 06:19PM EDT

I would say go for it, esp. if we don’t already have an entry and its mentioned in the reddit entry.

if you have any questions w/formatting just let me know!

also kipp, starfish, this is not a place for off topic posts like that. if you’re not contributing to research in this forum, don’t post just to post.

Sep 21, 2012 at 06:20PM EDT
Quote

amanda b. wrote:

I would say go for it, esp. if we don’t already have an entry and its mentioned in the reddit entry.

if you have any questions w/formatting just let me know!

also kipp, starfish, this is not a place for off topic posts like that. if you’re not contributing to research in this forum, don’t post just to post.

I was trying to help. I don’t want this thread to be locked

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:03PM EDT

OK, guys. I’m going to create the entry, but I want more input before I put any time into researching for this entry. Amanda, I’ll probably send you or a moderator a PM about formatting--although I am currently embarking on a mission to clean up the Happy Cat entry, and I think I’m doing an alright job. But creating an entry and editing an entry are two pretty different things.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:58PM EDT
Quote

I can help you with formatting if you need it. I tend to be…proficient at that.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:07PM EDT
Quote

Ok, i’m necroing this for one simple question.
The France is Bacon thing is popular on reddit, right.
But, on other corners of the web, so is Richard Stanz coming from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Are there more “misheard phrases” actually?

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:32PM EDT
Quote

Tomberry wrote:

Ok, i’m necroing this for one simple question.
The France is Bacon thing is popular on reddit, right.
But, on other corners of the web, so is Richard Stanz coming from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Are there more “misheard phrases” actually?

I’m not sure. If there are, they must not be very popular.

Oct 24, 2012 at 07:05PM EDT
Quote

People say that this is the thing, but I prefer reading.

Oct 25, 2012 at 07:36PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!