Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

X For President 2012

Last posted Sep 23, 2012 at 01:26PM EDT. Added Sep 22, 2012 at 03:26PM EDT
8 posts from 5 users

Hey, throughout the Internet, there has been posters of fictional characters or popular celebrities running for President of the United States in the 2012 Election. These posters have been spread throughout many sites. I see potential of this being a meme.

Quantum Meme wrote:

Memetic? I wouldn't say so, although I do know what you mean, it seems prominent across the internet.

Fictional presidential posers are very popular online especially with ponified version or video game character versions. I'll give it a +1 wait. Someone could do the article for me.

Quantum Meme wrote:

Memetic? I wouldn't say so, although I do know what you mean, it seems prominent across the internet.

Depends on what you describe as "memetic" here though. If you mean "It's somewhat related to politics, thus it has no relation to internet culture and thus cannot in any way ever be a meme", you are wrong. Yes, it's based on an IRL thing, but so are many commericials, songs, movie quotes and other situations that later turned out as quality memes. On the topic of politics, Obama's 'Hope' poster is pretty much the most notable. The "Too IRL" argument is often lacking on these things.

If you just mean "It lacks major spread", I would claim it a legit reason to wait with an entry.

Your point is really vague on this. Please explain yourself.

That being said. OP, can you give some examples?

Last edited Sep 22, 2012 at 09:56PM EDT

And yet, isn't this sort of a thing every fandom does? Mario-Luigi, Starwind-Hawking, Celestia-Sparkle, Oak-Ketchum, Colbert-Stewart, Wayne-Kent, Stark-Banner, Moto-Kaiba, Egbert- – - Great Zeus, why do these sound like slashfics?!

pug on toast wrote:

I'm pretty sure this has been occurring since democracy was invented.

Actually, RandomMan, I mean this basically.

I'm saying that it didn't originate from the internet and maybe so shouldn't be regarded as a meme.

However, it is prominent across the web, which I said, so it's arguable.

Actually, looking at that now, I realize how wrong I am. It IS memetic, I suppose.

Last edited Sep 23, 2012 at 05:06AM EDT

Quantum Meme wrote:

Actually, RandomMan, I mean this basically.

I'm saying that it didn't originate from the internet and maybe so shouldn't be regarded as a meme.

However, it is prominent across the web, which I said, so it's arguable.

Actually, looking at that now, I realize how wrong I am. It IS memetic, I suppose.

God knows how many good memes didn't originate from the internet. By your logic, something like Old Spice or Gangnam Style shouldn't even be considered memetic.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!