Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

25,383 total conversations in 3,475 threads

+ New Thread

"Freedom"

Last posted Nov 17, 2012 at 04:49PM EST. Added Nov 01, 2012 at 04:35AM EDT
9 posts from 8 users

Lately, I’ve noticed quite a few images mocking the use of the word “Freedom” to argue that America is the greatest nation. The image often has to do with the military, like in one image with a stealth bomber captioned “72 tons of pure freedom”. So, I wanted to use this thread to gather information on the meme.

This probably goes back to the ’60s and opposition to the Vietnam war.

Going back further, some communists after WWI argued that all wars are waged by imperialists for greed, which implies that the stated reasons for the wars (honour, freedom, etc) are false and deserve to be mocked. You might find something to that effect in the marxists.org library.

Related: This page from War – What For? lays out many of the ideas that the modern meme grew from, and many of the same ideas had been going around since at least the 1800s.

The meme specifically using the word “Freedom” may also be referencing Braveheart sarcastically.

Last edited Nov 01, 2012 at 09:37PM EDT

Can’t say I’m sure if this needs an entry right now, but what do I know? I’m new to the site.

I think you should look around for more info and if you find say 15-20 images then go for it

Casey wrote:

Can’t say I’m sure if this needs an entry right now, but what do I know? I’m new to the site.

I think you should look around for more info and if you find say 15-20 images then go for it

Only thing is, how are we gonna search for this?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!