Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,384 total conversations in 3,327 threads

+ New Thread


2deep4u

Last posted Nov 19, 2012 at 02:28AM EST. Added Nov 13, 2012 at 07:40PM EST
18 posts from 9 users

I’m considering about making an entry for the phrase “2deep4u.” What do you guys think?

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:40PM EST
Quote

I say go for it. I’ve seen this phrase around the internet.

Last edited Nov 13, 2012 at 07:52PM EST
Nov 13, 2012 at 07:52PM EST
Quote

I recommend some kind of merge with “2spooky4u”

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:28PM EST

It’s a derivative of 2spooky4u.
I’d say merge the two into a single article; 2"X"4u

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:19PM EST
Quote

MDFification wrote:

It’s a derivative of 2spooky4u.
I’d say merge the two into a single article; 2"X"4u

As well as the joke of adding one to the numbers?

3memetic5me

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:06AM EST
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

As well as the joke of adding one to the numbers?

3memetic5me

Plus changing direct verb, making the total entry XXXX.

Yeah… there are points where you derivatives too far. We have numerous entries for popular subjects like Rage Faces and Advice Animals, just apply that same logic here as a reason for seperate entries. Plus it’s already made and frontpaged.

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:07PM EST
Quote

Are you guys serious about it being a derivative of 2spooky
If anything, 2spooky is a derivative of 2deep4u.

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:09PM EST
Quote

ITT: debate over 2spooky and 2deep, choose your sides.

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:29PM EST

Mister J wrote:

Are you guys serious about it being a derivative of 2spooky
If anything, 2spooky is a derivative of 2deep4u.

I never stated that, I stated that derivatives in general can be taken too far when naming entries or when merging.

Last edited Nov 14, 2012 at 10:17PM EST
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:08PM EST
Quote

It is NOT a derivative of 2spooky4u.

It’s not even the same type of joke, except similar in phrasing.

I recommend against a merge of the two as they are separate entities.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:38AM EST
Quote

VanManner wrote:

I’m considering about making an entry for the phrase “2deep4u.” What do you guys think?

Regarding your article, the usage of this phrase actually goes back way further than 2010.

Check out these two links:

http://archive.foolz.us/_/search/text/%222%20deep%204%20u%22/order/asc/

http://archive.foolz.us/_/search/text/%222deep4u%22/order/asc/

I actually haven’t found usage of the phrase outside of /a/ before 2008, except some user with the nickname 2deep4u on a German diver board.

I hope you can still correct the article. I usually get ignored when I send authors corrections or older sources.

Btw, I’d strongly recommend this archive to anyone doing research and writing articles. It archives every post on these listed 4chan boards and major ones like /v/, /a/, /sp/, /tv/ et al. and that since 2008 (in some cases since 2010). The search function is pretty decent as well, which makes research very easy, even regarding pictures. All the other boards (except) /b/ have these kind of archives as well and might be worth checking out in the future.

PS: Any idea where I can ask for corrections of certain articles?

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:51AM EST
Quote

Yu Zukdig wrote:

Regarding your article, the usage of this phrase actually goes back way further than 2010.

Check out these two links:

http://archive.foolz.us/_/search/text/%222%20deep%204%20u%22/order/asc/

http://archive.foolz.us/_/search/text/%222deep4u%22/order/asc/

I actually haven’t found usage of the phrase outside of /a/ before 2008, except some user with the nickname 2deep4u on a German diver board.

I hope you can still correct the article. I usually get ignored when I send authors corrections or older sources.

Btw, I’d strongly recommend this archive to anyone doing research and writing articles. It archives every post on these listed 4chan boards and major ones like /v/, /a/, /sp/, /tv/ et al. and that since 2008 (in some cases since 2010). The search function is pretty decent as well, which makes research very easy, even regarding pictures. All the other boards (except) /b/ have these kind of archives as well and might be worth checking out in the future.

PS: Any idea where I can ask for corrections of certain articles?

Use the suggestion button on the entry, we then receive an email about it, or simply make a comment on the entry. If you believe you can fix it yourself, feel free to request editorship for the same reason.

If your correction falls on deaf ears, start a Meme Research thread pointing it out. Then we’re pretty much forced to stumble across it eventually. Laziness should not be a reason for ignorance on our side.

You said it happened before in the past that we didn’t change anything regarding your other discoveries on earlier origin. Can you show us some of these? Perhaps we’ll still be able to help.

Last edited Nov 15, 2012 at 12:38PM EST
Nov 15, 2012 at 12:37PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Use the suggestion button on the entry, we then receive an email about it, or simply make a comment on the entry. If you believe you can fix it yourself, feel free to request editorship for the same reason.

If your correction falls on deaf ears, start a Meme Research thread pointing it out. Then we’re pretty much forced to stumble across it eventually. Laziness should not be a reason for ignorance on our side.

You said it happened before in the past that we didn’t change anything regarding your other discoveries on earlier origin. Can you show us some of these? Perhaps we’ll still be able to help.

I’ve never gotten a reaction, be it comment or suggestion, but nevermind. I will probably just make a new thread with some of the sources I’ve found (if I still can recall them), as you suggested.

Thanks!

Last edited Nov 15, 2012 at 02:00PM EST
Nov 15, 2012 at 01:50PM EST
Quote

@Yu Zukdig

Thanks for the information, I’m going to try to change its origins to include it. I assumed that it dated back further from that Blogspot post. Why I didn’t used Foolz Archive, I’ll never know.

Actually, with the image Alokp post, is it safe to say that it dates back to 2007?

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:51PM EST
Quote

VanManner wrote:

@Yu Zukdig

Thanks for the information, I’m going to try to change its origins to include it. I assumed that it dated back further from that Blogspot post. Why I didn’t used Foolz Archive, I’ll never know.

Actually, with the image Alokp post, is it safe to say that it dates back to 2007?

Assuming it actually is from 2007. Is there any source to that?

But still, I can trace the scuba diver back to at least 2003. Check this out

And just now I found a drum n bass record from 1998 called 2deep4u:


Honestly, the phrase in itself is so generic, that it could have easily come up on several occasions independently from each other. It’s usage on the internet still points to /a/ imho.

Oh, I just found something else

A post on an obscure imageboard referencing the continued usage of 2deep4u in anime discussions in 2006. I actually think this might need some more digging. It definitely seems to come from the anime imageboard community, unfortunately foolz archive goes only back as 2008 for /a/ and chanarchive only back to late 2006.

You can definitely update it though. I think the anime connection is important to mention.

Last edited Nov 18, 2012 at 05:35PM EST
Nov 18, 2012 at 05:33PM EST
Quote

@Yu Zukdig

You know, I’m going to add to the drum n’ bass record, since it does dates back to 1998. And the user name on the scuba forum. You said that the phrase dates to 2006 on Chanarchives. I’m gonna take a guess it was on /mu/, because Foolz doesn’t support an archive for that board.

Edit: Here’s the image if you’re wondering. As the note saids it was used as tagline for billboard contest in Nevada.

Unrelated: How do I add this thread as a “Related discussion” in the resources?

Last edited Nov 18, 2012 at 07:11PM EST
Nov 18, 2012 at 06:42PM EST
Quote

VanManner wrote:

@Yu Zukdig

You know, I’m going to add to the drum n’ bass record, since it does dates back to 1998. And the user name on the scuba forum. You said that the phrase dates to 2006 on Chanarchives. I’m gonna take a guess it was on /mu/, because Foolz doesn’t support an archive for that board.

Edit: Here’s the image if you’re wondering. As the note saids it was used as tagline for billboard contest in Nevada.

Unrelated: How do I add this thread as a “Related discussion” in the resources?

First of all, good thing that you ignored the other imageboard, because I’m appearently an idiot. Didn’t realize that the date of the posts were switched around, meaning it isn’t from 2006 at all. Stupid mistake, sorry. Makes my anime origin even less likely.

Regarding the article, I still think you should add that 2deep4u was used in 2008 on /a/ sourced by foolz archive. It not only predates the blogpost, but also by the time of the blogpost the phrase was already frequently used on other boards like /tv/ (foolz started archiving /tv/ in February 2010). It’s possible that it was used by /mu/ before, but until we find a source, we should leave it open as “used on 4chan since as early as 2008” or something. Otherwise good job!

>Unrelated: How do I add this thread as a “Related discussion” in the resources?

No idea, sprry.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:28AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!