Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,526 total conversations in 3,347 threads

+ New Thread

Article Corrections

Last posted Dec 03, 2012 at 08:13PM EST. Added Nov 15, 2012 at 02:22PM EST
8 posts from 4 users

As suggested I’m opening a new thread mostly to point out older sources for a few articles (it’s possible I won’t go through everything today).

Let’s start with:

That Really Rustled My Jimmies

As it comes to no surprise, neither phrase nor image macro actually originated on Funnyjunk.

The earliest instance on foolz archive has a post on /tv/ from February 2010, where the image macro was used an every post that used it since then. Though as we see from the filename (126479446092.jpg), this isn’t the original post, as the pic was saved some time before (actually exactly 29.01.2010). The phrase itself gets used for the first time on /jp/ in August 2009 .

Now, unfortunately that is not the origin point as well, which actually happened on /r9k/ (just not in the thread mentioned in the article). Foolz archive only archives a handful of boards (though most of the big ones outside of /b/) and as we see that phrase really has been used pretty rarely throughout 2010. Unfortunately the automatic archive for /r9k/ was implemented only this year, so any earlier topics have not been saved, except the ones on chanarchive.org, which only saves requested topics. As of now, to my knowledge, these are the oldest sources for that particular meme.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:22PM EST

Troll science/ Troll physics

That one is in some way easier, in some way more exhausting. First of all, let’s put anything Reddit related regarding this to rest and confirm the rumors regarding 4chan. Here is the earliest souce I could find:

May 10th 2010 .

As we see from the original link (http://images.4chan.org/b/src/1273520839004.png) this pic was saved from /b/. Hard to say if it originated there. These kind of pics were a staple on 4chan’s /sci/, were it was actually used to kind of annoy people. A few examples from mid 2010:

One of the first mentions of troll science

Without Trollface
With trollface
A visit from /b/
A few more at once
The first deliberate collections of these

And so on. Installgentoo is a bit more unpractical to search, but it does give you a good picture. It also goes back only to May 2010.

Reddit as the origin point never made sense anyway in the first place. The two submissions in September were barely upvoted, how would that spark anything on 4chan?

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:20PM EST

Awesome job OP, thanks for that info. Flagging this thread and changing the title a bit, so that it can be used as a general correction thread.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:08PM EST

Good idea, thanks!

Anyway here’s a minor one:

Feels bad man / Sad Frog
Link to the article

Just some earlier sources:

Pepe with the inverted mouth almost one year before the source in the article.

The first reaction image of the new sad frog drawing I could find from April 2009

Around late may 2009 the first “You will never” pics including the frog start to pop up:

Mostly focused on “japanese school life” (goddammit /a/).

and so on.

variations.

June and so on and so on.

I also found that pic from the article that got uploaded to the Polish image hosting site on June 11th, 2009 and supposedly originated on /a/.
It was uploaded the first time on /a/ in June 6th 2009.

I think this might be actually as close to the origin as possible. It’s hard to say because only the archive for /a/, /jp/ and /m/ goes back that far, but looking through these old posts the pics seem to be mostly OC (judging by theme and filename). Coincidentally “You will never X” start to appear more and more in April and May 2009 on the Anime related boards before slowly fusing with the sad frog picture.

Last edited Nov 16, 2012 at 03:24PM EST
Nov 16, 2012 at 03:23PM EST

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/%CD%A1-%CD%9C%CA%96-%CD%A1--3

The origin is down as Yilauta but it’s spelt “Ylilauta”

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:10PM EST

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/159/326/Op_will_surely_deliver_RE_Weird_Video_Game_Facts_Part_7-s500x375-138152.jpg

The character depicted in the Awkward Zombie Comic is the author Katie Teidrich, who is Female and not male (despite her referring to herself as “dude”).

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:53PM EST

Hang on a second. I just realized something. We already have a Suggestion Box, why would we need this thread?

Though I kinda already know the answer, I haven’t used the suggestion box and have not received any suggestions on my entries for a very long time.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:00PM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Hang on a second. I just realized something. We already have a Suggestion Box, why would we need this thread?

Though I kinda already know the answer, I haven’t used the suggestion box and have not received any suggestions on my entries for a very long time.

Plus entries where the editors only consist of dead users or BNMs.

And yes, just overall ignoring of suggestions. Way too often we expect others to fix it.

Edit: Forgot what I said. The suggestion feature can do. Those with unique suggestions who get ignored can create seperate threads when the time is there.

Last edited Dec 04, 2012 at 05:39PM EST
Dec 03, 2012 at 08:13PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!