Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,734 total conversations in 3,378 threads

+ New Thread

Y2K Bug

Last posted Nov 20, 2012 at 11:20PM EST. Added Nov 20, 2012 at 07:45PM EST
2 posts from 2 users

ah, the year 1999. I was a really awful 12 year old and I’m glad YouTube and Twitter didn’t exist back then. But that’s another story for the JFF forums

Anyway, we are missing an entry on the Y2K bug. I know a lot of you young’ns weren’t on the internet when it happened but it’s a huuuge event in internet history. I’m putting together the Open Entry for tonight but in the meantime, let’s get our juices flowing in this thread, ya?

Nov 20, 2012 at 07:45PM EST

I WAS! I WAS! I’M OLD!!!

I remember people putting “Y2K Safe” stickers on all sorts of electronic devices. And I also remember people freaking out about how all their electronics would stop working, and how the global economy and infrastructure would collapse, etc. I was only 9 at the time, but I do remember hearing about how Usenet groups were spreading theories about doomsday scenarios and how to protect yourself and stuff. I think a large part of it was how to horde supplies etc.

So I’d probably say that Y2K was one of, if not the, first viral events on the internet. I’ll do a bit of editing at some point.

The funny thing was how much of a flop it was. I remember a news report saying that the worst thing that happened was that some cash registers at Shari’s printed December 32nd, 1999 or something stupid.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:20PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!