Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,408 total conversations in 3,331 threads

+ New Thread


DJ BL3ND entry? x_O

Last posted Nov 29, 2012 at 11:45PM EST. Added Nov 24, 2012 at 04:13PM EST
11 posts from 6 users

He’s a popular amateur-dj, who lives in Los Angeles, is currently 21-25 years old and has gained popularity on the internet with releasing YouTube videos featuring him dancing all the time and playing an already-mixed song. He’s wearing a mask, which shows Chucky from the Horrorfilm “Chucky (Child’s Play)”, but you can see his real face in the “CRAZY MIX” video.

The first video was released September 9, 2009 and it has over 63.000.000 million views.

Shall I make an entry, ladies and gentlemen?

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:13PM EST
Quote

If we make entries for all the popular DJs we’ll be KnowYourMusic

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:40PM EST
Quote

Mister J wrote:

If we make entries for all the popular DJs we’ll be KnowYourMusic

#KnowYourAdviceAnimals

So yeah, that’s kinda a bad argument.

Nov 25, 2012 at 07:16PM EST
Quote

not related to internet culture,

plus he uses bots for views

…but then again he’s also widely hated (by actual experienced EDM listeners) just like justin beiber and nickelback, so who knows

on the serato forums here’s a good observation:

“jwagner 5:24 PM – 25 November, 2010
[broken link to a youtube video]
Sometimes its hard to tell how bad someone is when they’re spinning electro. This video shows how horrible this guy is: pretending to scratch the crooklyn clan scratches, knob twisting for no reason, the whole 9 yards.”

anyways no one could give a shit about my personal opinion, but IMHO this dude is popular for no good reason, key word being “good”

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 12:36PM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 12:28PM EST
Quote

if you make this entry, put this idea under “critisism/controversy”

“djchriscruz 2:58 PM – 29 November, 2010
Judging by technical skills he sucks. There are videos were he plays a premade mix, never touches the turntables, and just dances with a mask.

If I wasn’t a DJ, didn’t know the technical aspects, and had an interest in electro I’d think he is pretty good.

I give him props by putting himself out there and consistently making Youtube videos. He also cashed in at the right time at the peak of the electro fad. Alot of DJ’s here make excuses for not recording mixes but this bedroom DJ kid is blowing by all of us getting millions of views on Youtube and listens on Soundcloud."

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:17PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

#KnowYourAdviceAnimals

So yeah, that’s kinda a bad argument.

Yes, but Advice Animals, even though I despise them, are Internet-based, Internet-spread and Internet popular. Musicians can be popular and merely touch upon the Internet, thus making a false “Internet popular” image.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:51PM EST
Quote

While we’re on the subject, I think we should make an entry on deadmau5. I mean, come on, he’s a well known /b/tard, he’s named songs after Catbread, FML, Cthulhu, and countless others, his stage name is in L33T, and he has well over a million followers on Twitter. I’d like to create an entry if you guys are fine with that.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:30PM EST
Quote

gi97ol wrote:

He’s a popular amateur-dj, who lives in Los Angeles, is currently 21-25 years old and has gained popularity on the internet with releasing YouTube videos featuring him dancing all the time and playing an already-mixed song. He’s wearing a mask, which shows Chucky from the Horrorfilm “Chucky (Child’s Play)”, but you can see his real face in the “CRAZY MIX” video.
The first video was released September 9, 2009 and it has over 63.000.000 million views.
Shall I make an entry, ladies and gentlemen?

Not sure. I don’t think that one viral video merits a person entry.

Starrfish wrote:

While we’re on the subject, I think we should make an entry on deadmau5. I mean, come on, he’s a well known /b/tard, he’s named songs after Catbread, FML, Cthulhu, and countless others, his stage name is in L33T, and he has well over a million followers on Twitter. I’d like to create an entry if you guys are fine with that.

Again, I’m not sure. If we made an entry for every popular musician or television series (or anything along that vein, for that matter), we’d have entries for David Guetta and The Cleveland Show. While deadmau5 is popular and he has fans, fandom=/=subculture. And I don’t think a person entry for deadmau5 would get very far. After all, unlike some people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga, he really hasn’t had a big impact on the Internet or done anything viral.

Nov 28, 2012 at 09:46PM EST
Quote

Kris wrote:

gi97ol wrote:

He’s a popular amateur-dj, who lives in Los Angeles, is currently 21-25 years old and has gained popularity on the internet with releasing YouTube videos featuring him dancing all the time and playing an already-mixed song. He’s wearing a mask, which shows Chucky from the Horrorfilm “Chucky (Child’s Play)”, but you can see his real face in the “CRAZY MIX” video.
The first video was released September 9, 2009 and it has over 63.000.000 million views.
Shall I make an entry, ladies and gentlemen?

Not sure. I don’t think that one viral video merits a person entry.

Starrfish wrote:

While we’re on the subject, I think we should make an entry on deadmau5. I mean, come on, he’s a well known /b/tard, he’s named songs after Catbread, FML, Cthulhu, and countless others, his stage name is in L33T, and he has well over a million followers on Twitter. I’d like to create an entry if you guys are fine with that.

Again, I’m not sure. If we made an entry for every popular musician or television series (or anything along that vein, for that matter), we’d have entries for David Guetta and The Cleveland Show. While deadmau5 is popular and he has fans, fandom=/=subculture. And I don’t think a person entry for deadmau5 would get very far. After all, unlike some people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga, he really hasn’t had a big impact on the Internet or done anything viral.

At least 2 images of him have frontpaged, and he helped make Skrillex famous. To say he has zero influence on internet culture is like treating Troll Physics as actual physics. Besides that, we’re making entries on people such as George Takei, so we might as well make an entry.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:10PM EST
Quote

Starrfish wrote:

At least 2 images of him have frontpaged, and he helped make Skrillex famous. To say he has zero influence on internet culture is like treating Troll Physics as actual physics. Besides that, we’re making entries on people such as George Takei, so we might as well make an entry.

I don’t think that it’s a good argument that at least 2 images of him have been frontpaged. Trending has absolutely nothing to do with that; the admins chose those pictures of him. And the reasons they did were that they likely had something to do with some other memes.

Yes, he did help make Skrillex famous. But Skrillex has Internet influence by himself. Without deadmau5 he might not have become as popular in the mainstream, but he would still possess the underground presence that he has, which deadmau5 had nothing to do with. Underground music culture can be important; look at songs like Move Your Feet. They became underground hits, but somebody who listens only to mainstream music will not have heard of it. Its popularity comes only from the Internet.

deadmau5, on the other hand, was and is popular not because of the Internet like Skrillex. He has a fanbase in mainstream music culture, and doesn’t have the same level of influence on the underground and the Internet like Skrillex does. Skrillex used the Internet to become popular. deadmau5’s popularity came to the Internet.

George Takei is known for his presence in pro-LGBT support. He is NOT a meme simply for being popular. He spawned a sub-meme-like catchphrase in “Oh, My” and the last time I checked, deadmau5 hasn’t spawned any catchphrases or memes of any kind. He’s a popular electronic music producer, but if we’re not going to make a David Guetta entry (he’s similar to deadmau5), then why make a deadmau5 entry?

Also, he does have some influence on the Internet. I’d just like you to convince me that he has enough influence on Internet culture to merit an entry.

Of course, I’m not sure. If a deadmau5 entry is created, of course I’d like to help out on it, and consider me proven wrong.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:24PM EST
Quote
I don’t think that it’s a good argument that at least 2 images of him have been frontpaged. Trending has absolutely nothing to do with that; the admins chose those pictures of him. And the reasons they did were that they likely had something to do with some other memes.

I said AT LEAST 2, mind you, I’m fairly certain there are more.

Yes, he did help make Skrillex famous. But Skrillex has Internet influence by himself. Without deadmau5 he might not have become as popular in the mainstream, but he would still possess the underground presence that he has, which deadmau5 had nothing to do with. Underground music culture can be important; look at songs like Move Your Feet. They became underground hits, but somebody who listens only to mainstream music will not have heard of it. Its popularity comes only from the Internet. deadmau5, on the other hand, was and is popular not because of the Internet like Skrillex. He has a fanbase in mainstream music culture, and doesn’t have the same level of influence on the underground and the Internet like Skrillex does. Skrillex used the Internet to become popular. deadmau5’s popularity came to the Internet.

[citation_needed]
George Takei is known for his presence in pro-LGBT support. He is NOT a meme simply for being popular.

So, everything pro-LGBT is now instantly internet-linked?
He spawned a sub-meme-like catchphrase in “Oh, My” and the last time I checked, deadmau5 hasn’t spawned any catchphrases or memes of any kind.

Check again.
He’s a popular electronic music producer, but if we’re not going to make a David Guetta entry (he’s similar to deadmau5), then why make a deadmau5 entry?

Blasphemy. deadmau5 is NOTHING like David Guetta.
Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 11:46PM EST
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:45PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!