Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,668 total conversations in 3,366 threads

+ New Thread

Alpacalypse

Last posted Dec 14, 2012 at 04:23PM EST. Added Dec 14, 2012 at 02:05AM EST
4 posts from 4 users

Does anyone have any info on this? Origin i.e. when, where and what apocalyptic event (if any) it was first used for? I know little about it but I remember seeing it a long time ago as a demotivational poster and the first pic below. I have been seeing it more often lately because of the Mayan Calendar apocalypse. Any help appreciated.

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:05AM EST

Seeing as this pun is not the most difficult to come up with, seems like it’d be difficult to come up with a definite origin; probably predates the internet, even @_@

Anyway, I have no idea what this is, and I don’t want to (sep 12 2006)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42311564@N00/90680971/ << (Jan 2006)

There is an actual farm, apparently (2004)

google trends seems to indicate that any hint of memetic spread ~ 2010

Seeing as there’s probably a very vague origin, and it is becoming more popular now, a better strategy might to focus on where it started becoming popular in relation to 2012 mayan apocalypse; specifically on memetic hubs. This unfortunately, is something I suck at >_>;

but it seems to be vaguely popular on tumblr

and there’s also this phrase, “this isn’t just a Drama Llama, this is an Alpacalypse,” which I don’t really feel like looking into -_o

Last edited Dec 14, 2012 at 05:53AM EST
Dec 14, 2012 at 05:19AM EST

I’d say that this is deserving of an entry pending further research. We specifically need to find an origin of internet popularity (if the popularity we’re seeing is a reflection of an IRL trend rather than an internet based trend, we can’t confirm it)

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:43PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!