Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

25,009 total conversations in 3,417 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
Thanks Obama

Last posted Mar 13, 2013 at 11:38PM EDT. Added Jan 15, 2013 at 07:15PM EST
26 posts from 21 users

So, there’s a series of gifs going around which shows someone carrying something and they screw up and drop their items. At the end of the gif, a caption with the words, “Thanks Obama” appears on the gif. I have seen some examples on Tumblr and Memebase. I don’t know the origin.

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:15PM EST
Quote

I’ve never seen that, but it seems hilarious!

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:28PM EST

Two examples, and I’ve also seen these show up a lot lately.

Last edited Jan 17, 2013 at 11:34PM EST
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:32PM EST
Quote

efase wrote:

Two examples, and I’ve also seen these show up a lot lately.

Excellent, just need a few more examples, and we should be good to go for an entry.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:52PM EST
Quote

There’s a subreddit under that exact name that features mostly informerical gifs with the rule that every post has to have ‘Thanks Obama’ in the title. Only some have the line in the actual image.

Last edited Jan 18, 2013 at 12:19AM EST
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:18AM EST
Quote

I would rather call this a spin-off from the commercial ads in which they try to sell you daily products which should make your life “so much easier”. The people who use the normal products always fail with them, already breaking an arm when pouring a glass of water.

Gifs of these things are commonly shared on various places. These “Thanks Obama” variations are rare though.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:00PM EST
Quote

Some of the GIFs seem to have come from the infomercial fails in the /r/wheredidthesodago subreddit.

Last edited Jan 21, 2013 at 02:12PM EST
Jan 21, 2013 at 02:11PM EST
Quote

Update of “Thanks Obama” GIFs in progress.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:33PM EST
Quote

I’d give a tentative green light. Prepare for a basket full of “+1 wait” comments though.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:50PM EST
Quote

@Chowzburgerz, please go for it! Would be happy to assist in research if needed.

As for the focus of this meme entry, even though the GIFs are sourced from the infomercial clips, I think it’d be more interesting to research the origin & history of the phrase “Thanks Obama,” as in “Obama as the scapegoat for everything” meme.

Of course, if anyone wants to start an entry for “infomercial models having difficulty with simple tasks,” feel free to start that one as well (a la Awkward Stock Photos or Stock Photo Cliches)!

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:28PM EST
Quote





haha i had a whole folder full of these

Last edited Jan 21, 2013 at 10:49PM EST
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:40PM EST
Quote

I’m 95% sure the phrase “thanks, Obama” came from one of the “Drunk Uncle” segments on SNL’s Weekend Update.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:52PM EST
Quote

Probably not the origin, but here’s a video from March 10, 2011 with the line. Skip to 1:33




Jan 22, 2013 at 04:01AM EST

Corundum wrote:





haha i had a whole folder full of these

What kind of idiot slices a loaf of bread like that?

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:37PM EST

Brad wrote:

@Chowzburgerz, please go for it! Would be happy to assist in research if needed.

As for the focus of this meme entry, even though the GIFs are sourced from the infomercial clips, I think it’d be more interesting to research the origin & history of the phrase “Thanks Obama,” as in “Obama as the scapegoat for everything” meme.

Of course, if anyone wants to start an entry for “infomercial models having difficulty with simple tasks,” feel free to start that one as well (a la Awkward Stock Photos or Stock Photo Cliches)!

I think “Infomercial Fails” would be a simpler name. I can help get the entry up if you guys want. Also, sorry for bumping.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:42PM EST
Quote

don’t know how relevant it is, but recently in TF2, people have responded to instances of bad luck with “thanks Obama”
ie. turn a corner, get killed by sentry, post in chat “thanks a lot Obama”
also seen it in response to being one shotted by a critical hit

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:41PM EST
Quote

Mungalo wrote:

don’t know how relevant it is, but recently in TF2, people have responded to instances of bad luck with “thanks Obama”
ie. turn a corner, get killed by sentry, post in chat “thanks a lot Obama”
also seen it in response to being one shotted by a critical hit

I’ve seen this around Imgur comments as well, particularly on photos where something bad has happened.
Ie. “Here’s a photo of my broken model” “Thanks Obama!”
There are also photos captioned “Thanks Obama” including a C&H comic on 1/23/13.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:56AM EST
Quote

Funny… After the infomercial fail just came to fruition on this site, I’ve been seeing lots of their gifs on Google search with the “Thanks Obama” texts. Just my observations.

Add: After seeing amanda b and others’ posts above, I gotta say that this “Thanks Obama” really do look more appropriate for the infomercial fail gifs.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 11:38AM EST
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:36AM EST
Quote

graduatememe wrote:

I’ve seen this around Imgur comments as well, particularly on photos where something bad has happened.
Ie. “Here’s a photo of my broken model” “Thanks Obama!”
There are also photos captioned “Thanks Obama” including a C&H comic on 1/23/13.

Katanas>Guns any day of the week.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:26PM EST
Quote

THIS THREAD ISNT DEAD YET!!!!

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:28PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!