Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Exploratory Thread: Darwin Awards

Last posted Feb 09, 2013 at 06:59AM EST. Added Jan 25, 2013 at 02:53PM EST
12 posts from 8 users

One of the oldest phenomena on the web (first circulating usenet in the 1980s, and getting their website in 1993), the Darwin Awards celebrate those psychologically deficiant individuals who improve the human gene pool by removing themselves from it in stupid and often hilarious ways, featuring such gems as this, this and this

What do y'all think? If I hear consensus in favour of an article, I'd be happy to write it.

Last edited Jan 25, 2013 at 02:56PM EST

I have a book on this sitting on my desk right now. The first few chapters give some pretty detailed ideas and concepts on what the Darwin awards are. The rest of the book is hilarious stories (9/10 would read again). I could possibly paraphrase some of these if i get around to it.

just re-read a few sections and I am now remembering there is a whole set of qualifications and rules that must be followed to be awarded (ex. the candidate must be the cause of his own demise) also the book (written in 2000) gives a little history of the internet, and tells how the Darwin awards were part of one of the first chain-mail letters.

I've read Darwin Awards 1-4 (hirrarious books, btw) and I'm not entirely sure that they have impact on internet culture. However, if someone decides to make an entry, I will support it and be willing to edit :)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!