25,184 total conversations in 3,440 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
X

Last posted Feb 01, 2013 at 02:38PM EST. Added Feb 01, 2013 at 03:42AM EST
10 posts from 6 users

After looking through the database I noticed a lot of X entries
The results of database search

I do not know if there is already an entry for this, but if there is one can I be directed there, and lock this thread.

If not, then let us discuss about X.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:42AM EST

I’m really not sure what you mean. X is just a placeholder for exploitable audio, text, and video. Think of it as an X in the sense of algebraic formulas. We also have Y’s and probably Z’s for the same reason. So, am I missing something or?

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:58AM EST

Well since X, Y, and sometimes Z is used as a place holder so often, and is involved with so many entries I thought it would have some sort of memetic value to it.

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:36AM EST

Wicked Kitty Bitch wrote:

I’m really not sure what you mean. X is just a placeholder for exploitable audio, text, and video. Think of it as an X in the sense of algebraic formulas. We also have Y’s and probably Z’s for the same reason. So, am I missing something or?

I don’t think you are. X is a placeholder, simple as. It’s not a meme.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:40AM EST

So X is a universal place holder pretty much. So madcat said, it’s pretty much an algebraic variable.
Now why is it X? Why does majority of the time it be X?

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:50AM EST

X is the unknown, therefore it’s used in this way to say that you can put anything there and the main point of this meme is the phrase that is exploited.

Well, usually.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:57AM EST

X was selected to be a placeholder for historical reasons. The first recorded usage of X as an algebraic variable was by Descartes in 1637, and it has since become a general placeholder.

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:38PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!