Forums / Meme Research

20,472 total conversations in 3,313 threads

+ New Thread

Doom Paul

Last posted Feb 11, 2013 at 04:11PM EST. Added Feb 10, 2013 at 02:44PM EST
2 conversations with 2 participants

I saw this picture on the front page yesterday, filed under Some Men Just Want to Watch the World Burn, but realized that the second panel was really familiar.

We have an article for this but I’ve been seeing it a lot since the 2012 primaries and elections. It’s always Ron Paul, with heavily saturated colors or a skull photoshopped to his face, with a post-apocalyptic background and an ominous quote. Since the page hasn’t been updated since July I was thinking it might be a good topic to discuss again. My main question would be why it stuck around more after this election – I can’t say I remember it much in the years leading up to it. I know it was a minor thing in 2008-2009, but it seems to have stuck around more this time.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:44PM EST

A few things:
*I noticed the “Doom Paul” variants started increasing long after Paul dropped out of the election. It probably was combined in with the 2012 Doomsday obsession.
*That in turn, caused the image to be used more frequently in other subcultures, leading to variants and other stuff.

One thing. The page says that Doom Paul is a “advice image macro series”. This should be rewritten as just an image macro series since it’s not following the format of “advice animals” and is simply a collection of doomy/nucleary Ron Paul images with distorted color tones and random captions pointing to the end of the war. Just my 2 cents.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:11PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!