Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Marco Rubio's drink of water.

Last posted Feb 13, 2013 at 11:27PM EST. Added Feb 12, 2013 at 11:08PM EST
27 posts from 15 users

Anyone who's heard of Sen. Marco Rubio and watches C-SPAN knows he's always accompanied by a glass of water, but during the State of the Union rebuttal, it reached a new height.

I move away from the camera to drink water

This is making the rounds all over Twitter, jokes about it from media outlets, pundits, and politicians are clogging my feed. Let's see where this goes.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I thought about the water drink when I watched this tonight. First thing that came up in my head was new meme.

Wow… this is… this is kinda pathetic. Even by the standards of the 2012 Political Memes. I mean, really? A guy gets thirsty during a speech and takes a drink? That's going to be the new big political meme?

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 12:11PM EST

Ragnarok wrote:

Wow… this is… this is kinda pathetic. Even by the standards of the 2012 Political Memes. I mean, really? A guy gets thirsty during a speech and takes a drink? That's going to be the new big political meme?

Got a problem with political memes?

chowzburgerz wrote:

Got a problem with political memes?

Only that people seem so desperate to grab for them that they'll take what is really a completely insignificant action and turn it into something big.

Don't get me wrong. Bush getting shoes thrown at him? That was pretty big and funny on it's own, and the way it was exploited by the internet was fantastic.

This? This is just… it isn't even anything really. I don't doubt that people will try to exploit it, and do so in the most reaching, painstakingly unfunny ways, but… come on. It's just a guy grabbing a drink during a speech.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 02:59PM EST

amanda b. wrote:

Poland Spring responds

there was this cnet article last night on how poland spring missed their social media moment but not responding right away to the water thing.

I don't understand why this is funny or why this is a thing though. I think this is a prime example of people grasping for anything to become a NEW COOL MEME for them to hold on to after a big news event.

I've noticed, but political memes pop up fast, remember Clint Eastwood's chair?

Ragnarok wrote:

Only that people seem so desperate to grab for them that they'll take what is really a completely insignificant action and turn it into something big.

Don't get me wrong. Bush getting shoes thrown at him? That was pretty big and funny on it's own, and the way it was exploited by the internet was fantastic.

This? This is just… it isn't even anything really. I don't doubt that people will try to exploit it, and do so in the most reaching, painstakingly unfunny ways, but… come on. It's just a guy grabbing a drink during a speech.

It has already been researched in the past (I have an article linked somewhere) that various people on the internet look at speeches and debates for the sole purpose of wanting the person to fuck up, just so they have something to exploit. With most of the internet being pro-Obama during the last elections, it can explain the high amount of Romney memes in comparison to Obama memes. Internet and politics just don't always go together.

@Others

Please refrain from pointless or off-topic posts in Meme Research, leave those for JFF.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 04:25PM EST

JCox wrote:

The thing you people don't realize is that the way he grabbed the water was just so incredibly awkward especially when he was looking at the camera while he did it.

I still don't get why this is supposed to be so funny.

Hey kids, if you don't actually have something to add to thread research, get out of the thread, this thread doesn't exist for you guys to debate whether this is funny or not.

Part of this is KYM needing to jump on top of anything that might possibly become a meme immediately so that when something does become a meme it doesn't seem like they missed it. What that means is a lot of times you get things like this that will probably die out pretty quickly and never really become a meme. Of course people are going to make fun of that, it looked pretty ridiculous in the context of what it was, but that doesn't mean it is going to reach critical mass and actually become a meme.

Circus of the absurd. Wolf Blitzer pondered if it was a "career ender", prompting the creation of #careerender on Twitter. Those of us not wishing out loud (as Wolf Blitzer was) simply thought to themselves :

rebelgamer wrote:

Facebook linked me here. I didn't realize there was posting standards for Meme Research. My apologies…

Shouldn't it be obvious?

"The topic is memes. Entry research, theories, trends, editing help, database maintenance & related"

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!