Forums / Meme Research

20,006 total conversations in 3,224 threads

+ New Thread


Before you say I am stoling this art, let me explain you a thing

Last posted Mar 06, 2013 at 11:50PM EST. Added Feb 28, 2013 at 10:20PM EST
34 conversations with 23 participants

This phrase has been slowly yet steadily growing and growing. It’s the subject of many parody.
Here’s what I have so far:


  • Several images relating to this meme

  • How it relates to OC culture

  • It’s connection to deviantART subculture

  • Several tumblr and even a few twitter posts related to the phrase

What I need:


  • Link to the original deviantART post along with the screencap.

  • How it spread to tumblr

That is all.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:20PM EST
Quote

Tumblr in general has a thing for seeing itself as superior to deviantART (hereby referred to as dA). While much of their reasoning for it is their supposed superiority at sourcing (which… isn’t always true…), a large portion of it has to do with ridiculing the relative immaturity of dA. This is apparent in other mockeries of dA, such as screencaps of dA comments:


This account recently had a small tumblr-based meme around it of taking various comments he wrote and reblogging them, the account has since been suspended.

I bring this example up because I feel that it helps to show Tumblr’s attitude towards dA as a whole – full of preteen kids that don’t understand how the world works and what plagiarism is. This is likely related to why the phrase appeared on tumblr and is now used to ridicule dA.


It’s important to note that searching Google for “before you say i am stoling this art let me explain you a thing” site:deviantart.com brings up no results. While it could be a deleted comment, or perhaps Google does not look at dA comments, I have to wonder whether a tumblr user captioned a dA user’s defense of their plagiarism with the phrase, which then went viral. However, if someone does have an OP that would be great.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:27PM EST
Quote

Yeah, the original screenshotted post would be great. I saw it once, long ago, during a more mystical time, but alas, I did not think to like or bookmark the event.

And yeah, you don’t have to tell me about tumblrites thinking themselves to be more superior to deviantART. That shit is crazy

Last edited Feb 28, 2013 at 11:55PM EST
Feb 28, 2013 at 11:54PM EST
Quote

Yeah, I’d expect you to know that. I just brought it up because it almost certainly factors into why it spread to tumblr.

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:19AM EST
Quote

The quote from the screenshot has existed for months now and has been used to ridicule art theft and dA here and there, but I BELIEVE the origin of its spread came from this post:

http://yoshika420.tumblr.com/post/43987541335/breaking-news-all-paintings-held-in-the-louvre

“Breaking news: All paintings held in the Louvre have mysteriously disappeared! The only evidence of the theft is a slip of paper that reads “before you say i am stoling this art let me explain you a thing””

I didn’t see any of the images or any other uses until after this one, and I’m pretty sure it has the most notes out of all of the ‘stoling’ posts right now.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:57PM EST
Quote

Before you say we are stoling this art, let us explain you a thing

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:02PM EST
Quote

The actual deviantART source image is unknown, however, it spread to Tumblr by way of the text-only deviantART twitter account on November 16th.
Edit: Beat me to it.

Last edited Mar 01, 2013 at 04:04PM EST
Mar 01, 2013 at 04:00PM EST
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Tumblr in general has a thing for seeing itself as superior to deviantART (hereby referred to as dA). While much of their reasoning for it is their supposed superiority at sourcing (which… isn’t always true…), a large portion of it has to do with ridiculing the relative immaturity of dA. This is apparent in other mockeries of dA, such as screencaps of dA comments:


This account recently had a small tumblr-based meme around it of taking various comments he wrote and reblogging them, the account has since been suspended.

I bring this example up because I feel that it helps to show Tumblr’s attitude towards dA as a whole – full of preteen kids that don’t understand how the world works and what plagiarism is. This is likely related to why the phrase appeared on tumblr and is now used to ridicule dA.


It’s important to note that searching Google for “before you say i am stoling this art let me explain you a thing” site:deviantart.com brings up no results. While it could be a deleted comment, or perhaps Google does not look at dA comments, I have to wonder whether a tumblr user captioned a dA user’s defense of their plagiarism with the phrase, which then went viral. However, if someone does have an OP that would be great.

That screencap makes me extremely uncomfortable. Why would you have this conversation in the comment section, anyway? I never understood stuff like this, that’s why there’s a private message option.

Just, NO.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:45PM EST
Quote

I don’t quite understand where the whole tumblr superiority angle is coming from. I mean heck, a lot of tumblr users have deviantART accounts themselves, myself included. It seems like there are people to make fun of on dA, sure, but that’s true for almost any website. Even tumblr isn’t exempt.

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:33AM EST
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Twilitlord wrote:

Tumblr in general has a thing for seeing itself as superior to deviantART (hereby referred to as dA). While much of their reasoning for it is their supposed superiority at sourcing (which… isn’t always true…), a large portion of it has to do with ridiculing the relative immaturity of dA. This is apparent in other mockeries of dA, such as screencaps of dA comments:


This account recently had a small tumblr-based meme around it of taking various comments he wrote and reblogging them, the account has since been suspended.

I bring this example up because I feel that it helps to show Tumblr’s attitude towards dA as a whole – full of preteen kids that don’t understand how the world works and what plagiarism is. This is likely related to why the phrase appeared on tumblr and is now used to ridicule dA.


It’s important to note that searching Google for “before you say i am stoling this art let me explain you a thing” site:deviantart.com brings up no results. While it could be a deleted comment, or perhaps Google does not look at dA comments, I have to wonder whether a tumblr user captioned a dA user’s defense of their plagiarism with the phrase, which then went viral. However, if someone does have an OP that would be great.

>mfw that comment chain

Also, I think this meme has potential. Look into it more.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:32AM EST
Quote

Can it possibly start to become a snowclone?

Like “Before you say I am X, let me explain you a thing” or something along the lines of that.
Just saying, since amanda b. kind of demonstrated that point a bit.

Either or you can just ignore what I said there and we should just start an article about this phrase, maybe?

(If someone starts an article, may I be granted editorship?)

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:36AM EST
Quote

Lone K. the JOHN MADDEN wrote:

Can it possibly start to become a snowclone?

Like “Before you say I am X, let me explain you a thing” or something along the lines of that.
Just saying, since amanda b. kind of demonstrated that point a bit.

Either or you can just ignore what I said there and we should just start an article about this phrase, maybe?

(If someone starts an article, may I be granted editorship?)

Definitely a snowclone

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/stoling

EDIT: yoshika420 reblogs plenty of examples that aren’t tagged

Last edited Mar 02, 2013 at 08:27AM EST
Mar 02, 2013 at 08:20AM EST
Quote

Ladies and gents, I present to you the original Tumblr post that made it famous there:
http://wtfstuck.tumblr.com/post/35850685773

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:14AM EST
Quote

Loreweaver wrote:

Ladies and gents, I present to you the original Tumblr post that made it famous there:
http://wtfstuck.tumblr.com/post/35850685773

I’m assuming you’re the same guy that’s on top of the “Stoling” tag on Tumblr giving a shout-out to us.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:55PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

I’m assuming you’re the same guy that’s on top of the “Stoling” tag on Tumblr giving a shout-out to us.

I’m assuming we’re getting death threats as well.

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:46PM EST

No, actually, I’m http://loreweaver.tumblr.com. I’ll post a confirmation there in a moment, sorry, I was playing Starcraft.

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:49PM EST
Quote

Lone K. the JOHN MADDEN wrote:

Can it possibly start to become a snowclone?

Like “Before you say I am X, let me explain you a thing” or something along the lines of that.
Just saying, since amanda b. kind of demonstrated that point a bit.

Either or you can just ignore what I said there and we should just start an article about this phrase, maybe?

(If someone starts an article, may I be granted editorship?)

It is becoming a snowclone.


Mar 02, 2013 at 02:53PM EST
Quote

This partially reminds me of the “has anyone really been far even as decided” meme, which I thoroughly enjoy, so that’s one reason I think this might have some potential.
I’m not precognitive, of course, so this may end up burning to the ground in the next week, but if it does gain some momentum, I won’t mind.

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:51PM EST
Quote

In any case, Sneaky, if you want to start an article I’d be happy to help.

Mar 02, 2013 at 05:35PM EST
Quote

Okay, so we should put this as a sub-entry (once an article is made) for Snowclone.

I think we have enough information to make an article.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:12AM EST
Quote

Considering the weird crap that Tumblr goes nuts over (like the Once-Ler fandom, or “Ah, Yes the Scalene Triangle”) I don’t think Tumblr has a lot of room to speak about DeviantArt’s “weirdness.”
Okay, that one screenshot that “Twilitlord is Alicorn Princess” posted is pretty disturbing. I’ll give you that.

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:48AM EST
Quote

Just a friendly reminder to keep discussion related to the relevance, origin and spread of this potential meme.

Comments not related to the meme itself don’t belong in Meme Research.

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:08AM EST
Quote

I’m about to start up an entry for this -- I’ll add you guys as editors when it’s set up @Sneaky, LoneK, Twilit

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:53PM EST
Quote

Cool. Go ahead and do that. I’m preoccupied with midterms at the moment.

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:07PM EST
Quote

A friendly reminder that the “Art” in deviantART is in all caps. I keep cleaning those up.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:37PM EST
Quote

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ee8fecd436d6be9f6d0dfd4363b834c4/tumblr_mj8wneIoyN1qasjkvo1_500.png

i think this is the cap

Last edited Mar 06, 2013 at 11:50PM EST
Mar 06, 2013 at 11:50PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!