Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

25,168 total conversations in 3,437 threads

+ New Thread

Keep An Eye Out For: "Swimming Anime"

Last posted Mar 06, 2013 at 10:10PM EST. Added Mar 06, 2013 at 07:08PM EST
4 posts from 3 users

Officially announced April of 2012, a nameless project started to slowly gain fans across tumblr which, without an official name, would simply be referred to as “Swimming Anime” or “Gay Swimming Anime”. It would have a small following based solely on two different promotional images. One of which showed one character swimming, and another which showed the four supposed main characters lined up in front of a pool.

Based off of this original promotional material, fans referred to it as “Ore to omae no sa o oshiete yaru yo!”, or “I’ll tell you what makes you and I different!”
Today, the PV was leaked, showing the characters in action.

As a result, the few who were already fans of the concept (as it is not even a full project yet) started to generate content, attracting the attention of several other tumblr users. Without even an official name yet, it already has a growing fandom, slowly spreading to other websites.

I just think that this is something to keep an eye out for right now, if not already deserving of its own article. As usual, the tumblr tag for it is a good place to find evidence of memetic mutation and novelty twitter account is good evidence of spread to other sites, along with the twitter results for “swimminganime”.

What do you guys think? Based solely on the reaction and content being generated, is it enough to have an article? We have had pages for similar phenomenon in the past.

Last edited Mar 06, 2013 at 07:09PM EST
Mar 06, 2013 at 07:08PM EST

While I can’t actually posts links due to 4chan’s inherent nature, anyone spending more than an hour on 4chan’s /a/nime and manga board in the recent week or so is likely to have seen threads about the “Swimming anime,” so just as a note, 4chan has taken an interest in this phenomenon as well.

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:48PM EST

With the mere reaction this has gotten for just a 30 second video, I wouldn’t doubt that any future developments made, regardless of how big or small, would be certain to cause waves.

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:55PM EST

It’s made an enormous dent in Tumblr. People are freaking out about it, mostly because they (the characters) are all so bishonen and yaoish and absolutely ripe for the shipping.

WITNESS THE TERROR FIRST HAND!

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:10PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!