Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Electronic Arts (EA) - Hated like Nickelback, but is it just as memetic?

Last posted Mar 11, 2013 at 09:14PM EDT. Added Mar 07, 2013 at 06:10PM EST
28 posts from 24 users

So, in the wake of the SimCity crisis (look it up if you're interested), I was wondering if hate towards Electronic Arts is worthy of being discussed as an entry on KYM. Like with Nickelback and Internet Explorer, the company is mocked, parodied, and bashed similarily. Electronic Arts themselves was voted the "worst company" in 2012 by The Consumerist (bracket style).

So, do you think "hate" towards the company is good enough to warrant an entry on KYM (like with Nickelback and Internet Explorer)?

I am really not too sure about this, it seems like a good idea, and even I was unsure about Internet explorer getting its own entry, so I'm leaning more towards making an entry.

After all, we have examples, such as those you have mentioned in the OP. Plus I believe there are images too (somewhere).

Might as well be. They get a huge amount of disdain for their DRM, and I'm sure we all remember the Mass Effect 3 fiasco of last year – come to think of it, that was around this time last year. Funny.

Yeah, I couldn't any less about EA, actually. But after all the things they've done recently (Anything related to ME3, in-game microtransactions, this whole SimCity servers problem, ORIGIN, and so on), I think they deserve it.

And in case you're not convinced yet, I'll leave this here.

Last edited Mar 08, 2013 at 11:22AM EST

I was actually debating this myself not too long ago after seeing a few Simcity rants. EA has definitely grown into this powerhouse of games that constantly upset gamers, even when the games are good themselves. I still have issues playing Battlefield without randomly getting booted from EA servers, and I tried Simcity and just got frustrated. The only company that garners tend to rip into more would probably be Capcom, but that is a different reason entirely.

As for making an entry for it, I'm not 'quite' sure if it is at KYM worthy levels just yet, though it is close. If there is a similar article that it may get lomped into or provided a section, that would probably be better. But I don't see EA at the hate levels of Nickleback or IE just yet, but maybe in time it will grow more

To be honest, maybe the SimCity controversy (the one that prompted me to think about EA's issue) is worth an entry…already leading to a memetic reaction:

Taken from reddit:
http://static.statusfailed.com/opencity/

I noticed the corruption of EA. I play this IPhone game called Simpsons Tapped Out which is part of EA. One currency in that game is donuts which lets you buy special items to put in your Springfield. How to get more donuts? Well, EA will make you pay ACTUAL money, not fictional money to buy more donuts. $9.99 for 12 donuts? $99.99 for 2400 donuts? That's absurd.

Absolute Absurdity wrote:

I believe this would answer the question

I feel like you have just unleashed ea's secret and they are goin to look for you find you and make you buy dlc to live another day.

I think we can confirm OP's question has been answered. OP, if you want to start an entry, go ahead.

Last edited Mar 08, 2013 at 05:03PM EST

I'm willing to help out on editing the entry.

I was involved in making the entry of Sonic the hedgehog so I'm not completely-In-the-dark as a entry editor, plus I have good attention to detail so I'm pretty confident that my editing can help out. (^_^)

Last edited Mar 09, 2013 at 12:53AM EST

I remember buying the Simcity Box back a few years back, it is not compatible with any OS and none of the games successfully installed at all, and EA didn't take the game off the shelves.

Worse yet, I called customer service and I only got one word out of them:

Me: Hey, I'm having troubles with the Simcity Box.

EA: Ya what dawg, you still there?

Me: Yeah.

EA: ……….(automated message) Your call has been dropped, due to not relating to any common problems, call again later.

Hey guys not all EA games are bad. I mean I really do love Need for Speed, Burnout and Skate. But I will admit the last good SimCity Game was 4 (Including the Expansion Pack), Rock Band has been pretty shit recently, a lot of the sims 3 expansion packs are boring (Seriously, a KATY PERRY Expansion pack? That's just evidence of selling out) and most of their games are pretty lackluster. OK now I understand why everyone hates them…

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!