Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Electric Boogaloo

Last posted Mar 22, 2013 at 07:40PM EDT. Added Mar 21, 2013 at 09:17AM EDT
8 posts from 5 users

The name of the bad rated sequel of Breakin' is often used as snowclone to refer to bad or unwanted sequels of something (sorry if the explanation is too poor). Do you think it's notable enough to have an entry?

Search Interest

Last edited Mar 21, 2013 at 09:21AM EDT

I disagree.
This is not something that needs the internet, people have been saying Movie 2: Electric Boogaloo ever since the original Electric Boogaloo came out. It didn't start on the internet, it just came to the internet, and really hasn't changed.

+1 deadpool

Katie, this is one of those issues that I've always wanted to see consensus on, but never do. If a meme started before the Internet, does that make it fail to be an "Internet meme" no matter how popular it becomes on the Internet? If so, where is the real dividing line, since most things spread via the Internet began their existence offline in some fashion.

Brucker wrote:

Katie, this is one of those issues that I've always wanted to see consensus on, but never do. If a meme started before the Internet, does that make it fail to be an "Internet meme" no matter how popular it becomes on the Internet? If so, where is the real dividing line, since most things spread via the Internet began their existence offline in some fashion.

Chris Menning, former head admin said yes, unless the internet advent changed the meme in such a way that the internet was a heavy contributor to its memeness.

None of the current admins have said different that I know of, so we should probably go with that.

Hey, who downvoted Katie? That was a completely reasonable and helpful response.

Anyway, while I do place high stock in Chrismen's viewpoint, nobody really makes the rules about memes; it's a very nebulous concept. Let me unpack what you've said a bit…

A) "the internet advent changed the meme" This seems to imply specifically a meme--like the one starting this thread--that existed pre-1993 (or whenever) can't really be considered an Internet meme unless it changed in some way when crossing into the digital realm.

B) "the internet was a heavy contributor to its memeness" This seems to imply that the popularity of the meme needs to have increased significantly once the Internet started to spread it.

There may be more to it, or I may be overanalysing, but I think I would agree with the latter and disagree with the former. I don't know why a meme has to transform into something new in order to be considered an Internet meme.

Ok, as of when the jokes started, it was a thing that people attached to the end of films and other things to denote "pointless sequel"

Well, we're doing the same thing now so little has changed.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!