Forums / Meme Research

20,478 total conversations in 3,314 threads

+ New Thread

What to do with Monty Python

Last posted Apr 16, 2013 at 07:52AM EDT. Added Apr 12, 2013 at 12:22PM EDT
18 conversations with 10 participants

In my opinion, Monty Python has a big influence on the internet and they deserve a decent Know Your Meme page. They introduced the term spam and made many sketches that are roaming the internet and are referenced in video games, like in Worms, when a worm died a comment was displayed ‘name is an ex-worm’ and the holy hand grenade, and the famous “Always look on the bright side of life”, the Taunting French sketch, the Silly Walks, the “Joke” sign, Spanish Inquisition, the Knights Who Say Ni… I mean there’s a lot of it, most of them are not memes on their own, but together I think they play an important role on the Internet. Not to mention that modern comedy would have never been the same if it weren’t for those geniuses. They deserve a tribute here.
So, what do you think? Perhaps add them as a person?

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:22PM EDT

I love monty python. They surely do deserve a entry. The flying circus probally has thousands of memes.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:37PM EDT

Hell yes for a Python entry. Also, Holy Grail deserves it’s own entry. Every other line from that movie is a meme.

Apr 12, 2013 at 03:23PM EDT

Sound like a good idea, but it would be under “Subculture”, not “Person”. Also, I’m questioning whether any individual sketches/quotes are referenced enough online to be considered individual memes. Seems to me like it’s more about their body of work as a whole.

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:55PM EDT

We did had an entry for it a long time ago, but it subsequently deadpooled. For reasons I don’t know.

Apr 12, 2013 at 06:02PM EDT

A mod should work on getting that fixed and confirmed thats sad.

Apr 12, 2013 at 07:41PM EDT

I’ve pulled it out of the deadpool and placed it into the subculture category due to its popularity, the fan following, and the many online jokes it spawned. The Video and Image gallery are also open again, as those were apparently locked.

Anyone who wants to take up the job of working on it can request editorship or just leave a post here.

Also, I’m questioning whether any individual sketches/quotes are referenced enough online to be considered individual memes. Seems to me like it’s more about their body of work as a whole.

Notable catchphrases like “It’s just a flesh wound” are up for discussion on that. I believe several of them can function as standalone entries (but not all).

Anyone who notices a notable Monty Python meme the site doesn’t cover yet, feel free to start an entry or request here first if you question its notability. So far there are entries for The Ministry of Silly Walks and Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition (both require serious work). I’ve added both as sub-entries but am deadpooling the Nude Piano Player though.

Last edited Apr 12, 2013 at 09:10PM EDT
Apr 12, 2013 at 08:45PM EDT

How to recognize different parts of the body should be mentioned, especially the naughty bits. But i dont think it has eniugh to be a stand alone entry

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:12AM EDT

I wonder if Self Defense Against Fresh Fruit and “Your father smelt of elderberries.” warrant at least a mention. I know that the Knights Who Say Ni and the Holy Hand Grenade are popular in many parts of the internet, including the whole ‘Air speed velocity of an unladen swallow’ bit.

Apr 13, 2013 at 02:20AM EDT

Remember that “It’s only a flesh wound” is said occasionally when you’re being revived in CoD.

Apr 13, 2013 at 09:55AM EDT

For some unknown reason I am currently not correctly receiving editorship requests and suggestions.

So for now please post them here. I’ll edit this post when it’s fixed. (Edit: It’s fixed.)

Last edited Apr 13, 2013 at 02:14PM EDT
Apr 13, 2013 at 01:59PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

For some unknown reason I am currently not correctly receiving editorship requests and suggestions.

So for now please post them here. I’ll edit this post when it’s fixed. (Edit: It’s fixed.)

some suggestions for research material for mentions and possibly memes with thier own page within MP are: SPAM, The Killer Rabbit, THe holy Hand grenade, the coconuts and swallows, the Frenchman insults, GET ON WITH IT, The old guy from scene 24, The credits, and theres way too many more to list

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:11AM EDT

Well spam already has an entry (a confirmed one even) in internet slang category. Which makes me wonder, is it possible to make a meme belong to two categories? Probably not. And as much as I don’t like saying it, it’s better to have spam in internet slang.
As for the others… I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a bike with coconuts that clank while cycling, but not much more. The Holy Hand Grenade is featured in Worms, but again, I doubt there’s more of it.
I think the flesh wound and spanish inquisition have the highest meme potential. Hence, I’ve taken the liberty of creating an entry on the flesh wound.
Can someone kindly move this entry to Monty Python category, or tell me how to do it? I’ve hoped it’s enough to use the “Add an entry” link while viewing a sub-category. Apparently it isn’t :/
Thanks!

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:43AM EDT

Master Yoda wrote:

Well spam already has an entry (a confirmed one even) in internet slang category. Which makes me wonder, is it possible to make a meme belong to two categories? Probably not. And as much as I don’t like saying it, it’s better to have spam in internet slang.
As for the others… I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a bike with coconuts that clank while cycling, but not much more. The Holy Hand Grenade is featured in Worms, but again, I doubt there’s more of it.
I think the flesh wound and spanish inquisition have the highest meme potential. Hence, I’ve taken the liberty of creating an entry on the flesh wound.
Can someone kindly move this entry to Monty Python category, or tell me how to do it? I’ve hoped it’s enough to use the “Add an entry” link while viewing a sub-category. Apparently it isn’t :/
Thanks!

Good job on the entry also ill research holy hand grenade and post again if i find anything.
(Edit) there is a holy hand grenade taunt in tf2 and it is in worms. Other than that you can buy mini replicas and thats about it, somewhat worthy of an entry. Anyone else agree?

Last edited Apr 15, 2013 at 11:06AM EDT
Apr 15, 2013 at 11:02AM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

Good job on the entry also ill research holy hand grenade and post again if i find anything.
(Edit) there is a holy hand grenade taunt in tf2 and it is in worms. Other than that you can buy mini replicas and thats about it, somewhat worthy of an entry. Anyone else agree?

Yo the holy hand grenade is also in Fallout New Vegas although it’s called Holy grenade or something like that, put that sucker in there too it saved my ass twice.
I would agree also

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:21PM EDT

Hes right it is in fallout

Apr 16, 2013 at 07:16AM EDT

Quantume Memé wrote:

Remember that “It’s only a flesh wound” is said occasionally when you’re being revived in CoD.

Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps my Google Foo is too weak, but I couldn’t find anything.
inb4 lol he checks his facts!

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 07:53AM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 07:52AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!