Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,553 total conversations in 3,352 threads

+ New Thread

Person Entries for "One Hit Wonder" Artists?

Last posted Apr 30, 2013 at 06:47PM EDT. Added Apr 15, 2013 at 11:04PM EDT
13 posts from 9 users

The majority of comments in Psy entry seems to be against it, so I figured this needs an explanation. TLDR version: semantics and OCD.

This should be prefaced by the fact that both Rebecca Black and Psy’s breakouts topped Google’s zeitgeist lists. I’m not saying everyone who has made a viral music video deserves a person entry when they come back.

The purpose of creating person entries for “one hit wonder” artists is to make distinction between the reception of the breakout “Gangnam Style” and that of the follow-up “Gentleman” yet to be determined by making a bridge entry (Psy #person entry) as opposed to, say, create a meme entry for “Gentleman” on the assumption that it will be another qualifier OR expand on “Gangnam Style” on the assumption it won’t.

But the bigger reason is for organizational purposes: assuming there will be some parodies or remixes of “Gentleman,” those videos shouldn’t be mixed up with “Gangnam Style” parodies.

This is open to debate of course.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:04PM EDT

Wasn’t Psy already a rather popular artist in South Korea before his breakout internationally? Maybe as an international artist he’s had his one hit wonder, but I’m sure in South Korea and parts of Asia he will continue to be rather popular.

Anyway, biggest One Hit Wonder I can think of is probably Wonderwall by Oasis. Still hear that alot.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:09PM EDT

I think a big one is Rebecca Black. If that’s not one I don’t know what one is!
Wait. Just read the main post.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Maybe you could argue that Carly Rae Jepsen is a one hit wonder, because her follow up “(Its Always a) Good Time”

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 07:47PM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 07:43PM EDT

Due to his Old Spice commercials, Isaiah Mustafa has become one of the epitomes of manliness for the internet alongside people like Chuck Norris and The Most Interesting Man in the World. But his popularity runs solely on his role in the Old Spice commercials. He has no notability as a person, he has notability as a role he played once. Therefore Isaiah Mustafa is not someone I consider person entry worthy (we don’t have one either, just pointing it out).

As it currently stands, as an internet icon, Psy runs on Gangnam Style. Like Mustafa has the role, Psy has the dance. As a person himself, he currently holds no real presence online which can be seen as unrelated to Gangnam Style. When it was just Gangname Style, Psy was unworthy of a person entry (and he also didn’t have one).

The sudden popularity of Gentlemen is clearly the result of all the sudden fans Psy gained for Gangnam Style. Should he had released Gentlemen before Gangnam Style months ago, it would’ve gone below the radar most likely.

So with that, Gentlemen can be seen as a derivative which simply rides along Gangnam Style’s popularity. It’s like the entry for Ridicously Photogenic Guy has a lot of derivative sections added, as we know those derivatives were the result of the popularity of Zeddie’s photo and wouldn’t have gotten notability without it.

By that it would’ve been better in my personal opinion to have started with giving Gentlemen coverage on the Gangnam Style entry through one or a few headers. By creating an entry for Psy so you have a place to cover songs like Gentlemen, you are creating the assumption that Gentlemen got popular so quickly due to Psy, while we all know it was due to Gangnam Style.

Should Psy release more music which all receive the same result, or grow to an internet celebrity without using Gangnam Style, Psy is worthy of a person entry. Should just Gentlemen become massively popular, that song becomes worthy of a seperate entry like Gangnam Style did back then. Should it stay at a short attention craze caused by the popularity of Gangnam Style, it can stay a header under Gangnam Style as they’re still related.

assuming there will be some parodies or remixes of “Gentleman,” those videos shouldn’t be mixed up with “Gangnam Style” parodies.

Assuming “some” is no more than 5-10, I don’t think it would damage the video gallery too much. When it spreads beyond that number, we can start looking for different solutions. And with our ability to move media between entries, either the Psy entry or one for Gentlemen would make the videos no longer an issue to Gangnam Style.

tl;dr: Wait first, give small coverage, possibly expand in a different way should it grow bigger than expected.

This is just my personal opinion, and is of course up for discussion.

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:47PM EDT

I highly doubt that Gentleman will ever be as successful as its predecessor. Also…

Who Am I? wrote

Anyway, biggest One Hit Wonder I can think of is probably Wonderwall by Oasis.

>Thinking Oasis is a One-Hit Wonder
>First song that comes to mind is Wonderwall

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:49PM EDT

A hit in the U.S is appplied when a song cracks the top 40 so as long as PSY does that which i’m sure he will, he’d no longer be thought of in the music world as a one-hit-wonder. Any song that breaks into the top 40 of the billboard top 100(even at number 39) is considered a hit song. I think this is a good idea for an entry too. But you’d have to stick soley to those few like PSY, Rebecca black, and Carly rae jepson.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:47AM EDT

Maybe one hit wonders itself should be an entry? Also, some good one hit woners are: vanilla ice, mc hammer, and survivor.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:46AM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

Maybe one hit wonders itself should be an entry? Also, some good one hit woners are: vanilla ice, mc hammer, and survivor.

Vanilla Ice:

“Play That Funky Music” – Peaked at #4

Hammer:

“Have You Seen Her” – #4
“Pray” – #2
“Too Legit to Quit” – #5
“Addams Groove” – #7

Survivor:

“I Can’t Hold Back” – #13
“High On You” – #8
“The Search is Over” – #4
“Burning Heart” – #2
“Is This Love” – #9

Ergo, these acts are NOT one-hit wonders

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:09PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

Vanilla Ice:

“Play That Funky Music” – Peaked at #4

Hammer:

“Have You Seen Her” – #4
“Pray” – #2
“Too Legit to Quit” – #5
“Addams Groove” – #7

Survivor:

“I Can’t Hold Back” – #13
“High On You” – #8
“The Search is Over” – #4
“Burning Heart” – #2
“Is This Love” – #9

Ergo, these acts are NOT one-hit wonders

Did you know “that too legit to quit” is considered to be the first time the expression “legit” was viewed by the mainstream?

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:04PM EDT

Carno wrote:

Did you know “that too legit to quit” is considered to be the first time the expression “legit” was viewed by the mainstream?

Maybe legit could be a meme entry itself

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:57AM EDT

i don’t think there should be entries for one hit wonder artists, since they are only known for their “one hit”, that’s why they are one hit wonders. most people don’t even know the artist behind the song, psy or rebacca black are imo exceptions becasue of the media attention they got, especially psy, who didn’t really fit into the stereotype of a successful western pop-artist.
when you think psy, you don’t think about psy but gangnam style, and “gentleman”, like randomman already sain, only became this popular because of gangnam style’s popularity.
also, one hit wonders already existed in the past, the populartiy of music was mostly determined by single and album charts and how frequently it was played on the radio.
who knows this guy?

most people probably only know the song and the jim carrey video (10 hour remixes, whatever), however, the actual artist is almost completely unknown. the same probably goes for gangnam style too, i don’t know a single other song by psy except gangnam style, nor do my friends, we know the song, we know the video, catchy song, funny video, psy’s a funny guy judging by the video, but other than that, probably hardly anyone knows anyting else about psy or any other one hit wonder artist.
so what would an entry for a one hit wonder artist look like?
“xxx, known mainly for his hit single yyy, is a musican form zzz who has written no relevant song or anything popular except for yyy.”
you could of course list his albums and other singles, date of birth (and death) etc.
but i don’t think anyone would be interested in that, so that doesn’t really belong to “internet culture” (besides, you could go to wikipedia for that dry information).

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:37AM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

Maybe legit could be a meme entry itself

It already is.
See Seems Legit.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:14PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!