Forums / Meme Research

20,468 total conversations in 3,312 threads

+ New Thread

Documentation of Pairings and OTPs

Last posted Apr 22, 2013 at 03:29PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 09:50PM EDT
4 conversations with 3 participants

It should come to no suprise that shipping is a notable part of every fandom, whether big or small. Each fandom has their more (and less) popular pairings, not uncommonly giving them nicks and creating seperate blogs, facebook accounts, fan groups, etc. for them. Several of these pairing have, without doubt, a noteworthy presence on the internet.

So that’s where the question appears: Are single pairings, with a certain level of notability online and in their fandom, worthy of documentation on the website?

“Certain level of notability” was added for a reason. If you take shows with a huge cast like Hetalia or Homestuck, you’ll end up with so many seperate pairings that documenting them will be a prayer without end. So there will of course be some notability required for these entries to be considered legit.

The most popular and well known pairings are a good starting point of where to look for. Expected requirements for notability can simply be a following that traces back for quite some time (ex: Watson/Sherlock or Kirk/Spock Slash), or through events like becoming canon or having received feedback from the actors whose characters are being shipped.

A clear line on what can and cannot be documented still needs to be set up, which is one of the reasons for this topic. Do you believe KYM can cover your ship? If not, why? If so, do you have any example which you can see work out? Please feel free to share your thoughts and discuss this.

Apr 19, 2013 at 09:50PM EDT

Honestly, most single pairings are simply not notable enough to require documentation, and they don’t appear to exhibit any real influence outside their respective fandoms. I would say John/Sherlock is the exception that proves the rule because a. it’s quite literally the only ship anyone cares about among Sherlockians (Irene who?) and b. it can be seen as an example of tumblr’s tendency to fetishize homosexuality. Besides this however, I believe it is relatively inconsequential as itself and merely becomes a representation of gay shipping and its problems in general.

Hope that made sense, I can elaborate if you’d like.

Last edited Apr 19, 2013 at 11:40PM EDT
Apr 19, 2013 at 11:33PM EDT

Fridge Logic wrote:

Honestly, most single pairings are simply not notable enough to require documentation, and they don’t appear to exhibit any real influence outside their respective fandoms. I would say John/Sherlock is the exception that proves the rule because a. it’s quite literally the only ship anyone cares about among Sherlockians (Irene who?) and b. it can be seen as an example of tumblr’s tendency to fetishize homosexuality. Besides this however, I believe it is relatively inconsequential as itself and merely becomes a representation of gay shipping and its problems in general.

Hope that made sense, I can elaborate if you’d like.

No that made sense. Feel free to elaborate though, I love some arguments.

It matches to issues I had with the idea. Outside of the most natural ones like Kirk/Spock and Watson/Sherlock, I fear that covering single pairings that have no influence outside of their fandoms will be a too broad topic to cover.

Just an entry for Shipping is too central. With its dominant presence online there needs to be some extending on it, but I’d like to keep overview present. So for example from my point of view: Document the Homestuck quadrant system (I’ll see if I can start an entry for that next week), but don’t make seperate entries for single Homestuck pairings like Rosemary (Rose/Kanaya) or DirkJake, regardless of them being canon.

Given that this is an open discussion thread in Meme Research, I avoided putting my own opinion in the OP post and waited for a reply or two. Don’t want to start the thread with a negative message. This thread is the result of disagreement on it within our ranks, so please input coming, it helps sorting things out.

Last edited Apr 21, 2013 at 07:11PM EDT
Apr 20, 2013 at 04:03PM EDT

i feel that the shipping of homosexual male relationships has enough similarities from ship to ship to probably warrant investigation. like, yaoi and (a complete misreading of) lgbt culture influence a lot of it (uke/seme, fetishization of homosexual relationships, queerbaiting, etc)

i hope this makes sense..

Last edited Apr 21, 2013 at 12:31AM EDT
Apr 21, 2013 at 12:31AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!