Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

24,548 total conversations in 3,351 threads

+ New Thread

Weekly Workshop: Humanitarianism on the Internet

Last posted Apr 24, 2013 at 07:59PM EDT. Added Apr 23, 2013 at 03:24PM EDT
6 posts from 6 users

Hey everyone!

As part of Cheezburger’s Restoring Faith in Humanity Week, I’d like to propose a special challenge for this week’s focus topic: researching and documenting internet memes, events, persons or websites that have to do with heroism, self-less deeds or compassion for others in general. In other words, heartwarming and “feel-good” stories about people doing good things for others with the help of the Internet.

Here are some relevant examples of stories that we have documented so far:

Free Hugs
It Gets Better Project
Israel Loves Iran / Iran Loves Israel
Crowdfunding
Random Acts of Pizza
Brother Sharp
Caine’s Arcade
Karen Klein the Bus Monitor

Have we missed anything so far? Any other ideas for new submissions in this area?

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 03:39PM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 03:24PM EDT

Does the whole SOPA/PIPA thing count? I thought it was rather impressive how people banded together to stop it like that, and it would have certainly restored my faith in humanity had I ever lost it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:10PM EDT

The story of NYPD cop Larry DePrimo buying a homeless man a pair of shoes when it was freezing during the winter went viral last November/December, resulting in numerous news sites and blogs covering it, not to forget the numerous social media accounts sharing it.

Suprising turn though, as it was later found out that the homeless man, Jeffrey Hillman, is not actually homeless at all. He lived in an appartment and owns multiple pairs of shoes. He just decided that not wearing shoes would result in more money:

This didn’t take attention away from the cop’s generous act though. Unfortunately this is a topic that was simply mentioned numerous times on the web, not resulted in random acts of charity. So I don’t know if this counts as internet humanitarianism.

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 04:21PM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 04:15PM EDT

Ive seem many faith in humanity restored memes. It should get an entry. Also, i don’t want to love on this planet anymore seems related, or is it a spinoff? Or is the humanity restoration a spinoff? Notnsure but defenitly a meme.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:23PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!